Thinkin' Bout Something

011

We filed back into the van after a good three hours on the beach front. It was my turn to drive until we found a hotel. I rolled the windows down and turned the music up a perfect summer mix filling the ears of my passengers and onto the sidewalks of the beach strip. We sang along as I pushed the pedal to the floor.

I tucked a few strands of hair behind my ears before putting the van in park along a row of pier shops. I opened the door and stepped onto the smooth sun bleached pavement before anyone could ask questions. I leaned against the door facing in, resting my arms on the still open window. “You guys coming?” I asked.

Taylor was the first to open the his door matching my movements placing both feet on the ground and shutting his door. He made his way around the front of the vehicle and wrapped his right arm around my waist. He pushed his sunglasses back to where the belonged and smile at me. The rest followed suit and we made our way into the first shop.

The air conditioning hit us first and it was a welcomed relief from the early summer heat. There was some Beach Boys playing in the background and a bunch of tiny lights flickering off the floor. I looked up and was amazed at the beach glass hanging from the strings reflecting the track and recessed lighting fixtures spectrum onto the bamboo floor.

Each step creaked slightly under foot as I ran my fingers over the counter. Postcards pressed under glass telling stories of visitor’s travels to the pier. There was another rack of postcards in a turnstile rack with pictures of the Atlantic crashing down on the pearl white sands. I picked up a disposable camera and continued to walk.

“Ave.” Micha called from a corner. “Come here.”

I followed the sound of her voice and smiled when I walked up to her. She found the collection of handmade music boxes. I opened one up slowly and recognized the tune right away it was the theme from Lilo and Stitch. I handed it to her and laughed.

When we were ready to pay for our things I was the last in line. I gave the cashier a few dollars for the camera and made my way outside. I stopped and looked up and down the street. Taylor’s hand found mine and squeezed it lightly. I turned to face him only to feel his soft lips on mine. He pushed a few stray hairs from my eyes and gently pressed the bright pink hibiscus flower behind my ear.

I blushed a little and pointed over to a café. “Hungry?” I got a collective nod from the group and we walked over. Taking a seat at one of the empty tables outside I cast my gaze over to the west, watching as the sun was setting. We ordered a round of mock sangrias and vegetarian layered taco dip.

“So, where should we look for a hotel at?” Ike asked after stuffing a loaded tortilla chip in his mouth.

“Gross.” Micha exclaimed covering her full mouth with her hand.

“Oh, you can do it, but I can’t” Ike joked back.

“No one saw mine.” She laughed.

Brushing the joking aside I answered him, “We can head south. There was one vacation town we went to when I was a kid, really nice cheap hotels.” I shrugged.

“How far?” Zac asked stretching slightly before draping his arm over Micha’s chair.

“About a half hour from here I think.” I pulled out the map that was in my bag and unfolded it in my lap. I traced the road we were on and stopped when another finger joined mine. Taylor let a smirk play on his lips as he continued to follow it south. Getting dangerously close to certain areas. I bit my lip and tried to hide the slight excitement his touch through a paper thin, well sheet of map paper. Before he got to the point of no return and the need for a hotel room became more of a necessity than a spur of the moment thing I grabbed his wrist and cleared my throat. “You passed it.” I mumbled still trying to shake the edges and quick cracks in my voice.

He took his hand back and took a sip of his drink. “So, we’re heading there?” He said clearing his throat and point to the map, hovering above mid thigh.

“Yes.” I said, quickly folding the map back up and shoving it just as eagerly into my bag. I took my glass and downed the rest of my drink. The waiter returned with check in a matter of minutes and we were heading back to the car.

The guys walked ahead of us, we were about ten feet behind. They talked and we talked, but not to the opposite sex. It was strictly guy time and girl time. I clutched the shoulder strap to my bag and walked as casually as I could being as enthralled by Taylor as I was.

“What was all that about?” Ellis raised her eyebrows and sheepishly smiled at me.

“What?” I responded.

“Taylor’s soft caress through the map.” She continued.

“It was nothing.”

“Ave, you don’t have to hide it.”

“Are you getting some tonight?” Micha barged in.

“No.” I shook my head.

“Why not, obviously Tay wants some?” Ellis motioned to the boys in front of us.

“So?”

“What’s wrong with sex?” Micha asked.

“Nothing.” I was keeping my voice hushed but the toned and the muffled sounds made my irritation stand out.

“Then why not?”

“Because.” I started and planned on finishing strong with it.

“Because why?”

“Because I’m not ready for it.” It came out louder than I had expected and then five pairs of eyes were on me. I threw my hands up in the air and made my way through them grasping onto the handle of the door. Pulling it and slipping my hand off of it, having to retry my escape.

“Ave.” Taylor ran behind me. “Come on, Ave please.” He said leaving the others behind.

“We should go wander around for a minute.” Ellis concluded before heading over to a row of shops we didn’t stop in. “Window shopping?” She asked as Zac, Micha and Ike made their way over to her.

“Ave.” Taylor continued. He looked at me trying to read me. When he realized I wasn’t going to answer him through the window he opened the passenger side door and climbed in. He leaned over me and rolled both windows up and then leaned back in his seat. “Avelynne, what’s wrong?”

I sighed softly and tightened the grip I had on the steering wheel. Ten and two. “Talk to me.” He pleaded.

“I’m scared Tay.” I said finally. It was hushed and strained. “I’m terrified that somehow, you’re going to get back with Natalie.” I felt the burning in my throat. “I feel like if I make some sort of physical commitment to you, such as sex, that its just going to break my heart in the end. She’s having your baby Taylor, and all I wanted was your heart.” I let the steering wheel go, as if I was defeated and even holding onto that wasn’t going to save me from going under.

“Ave.” He spoke softly. “You will always have my heart.” He was trying to read me again. “I know its hard, and I know how you feel, but believe me, I love you more than anything in this world or the next. No matter what, Natalie lost me. All I am to her now is her child’s father, and all she is to me, is my child’s mother.” He placed a hand on top of mine. “That’s it, and yes, I love her for that, but that’s the only way I love her. You are the one I love he slid his hand under my chin and turned my face towards his. “This could get ugly. I’m sure Natalie will put up a fight, and I don’t know how or when it will start. But, I do know, whatever is thrown our way, you will be there right beside me. And I hope its forever.” He cocked his head to the side a little. “Do you promise me that?”

“I promise you Tay.”

“Then take this.” He slipped a silver ring around my right ring finger. “Just make me that promise.”

I smiled. “I promise you everything, I love you, forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
woo! another 1440 words <3