Thinkin' Bout Something

016

The mug felt welcomingly warm in my hands. Perching myself onto the window seat of the bay window I took a sip letting the hot liquid warm my entire body from the inside out. There weren’t a lot of leaves left on the mighty red maple, but what was left, were shaking violently in the late October wind. Ziggy was cuddled up on the pillow beside me and I scratched behind his ears receiving a soft moan from the small dog.

I watched them walk up to the door and let them knock before making my way over to answer it. “Hey guys.” I smiled as I let Taylor, Natalie, and Ezra come inside. I took their jackets and smiled at the little boy. It was scary to believe he would be one in a week.

Taylor stood in the sunlight that peeked through the glass on the wooden door, the golden color highlighting his jaw line and his hair, and those bright blue eyes. He lifted his arm up, pulling Ezra’s jacket off of him, revealing a small sliver of skin to show.

“I was thinking about having Ez’s party in Georgia, with my family.” Natalie’s voice rang from my kitchen.

I was thinking about your husband without clothes on…. “Oh yeah?” I half questioned half didn’t really care.

“Well, Tay here said that it would be silly to drive all the way out there just for my son’s birthday.”

Something in that statement irked me. “her” son. He was “their” son. That’s why “They” got married. “So where are you having it instead?” I shook the dirty thoughts of Taylor out of my mind, for the time being, and concentrated on the woman standing in my kitchen doorway, with my favorite mug in hand, drinking my hot apple cider. I felt like I was going to have to offer her my bath robe, fuzzy slippers, and the newspaper.

“Probably at the Hanson house.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Its just,” She pursed her lips, “I really wanted Ezra’s first birthday to be special…and without my family there, it wont be,”

I made a mental note of Taylor rolling his eyes. “I’m sure his birthday will be perfect Nat.” I smiled, not necessarily to make her feel better, but in sheer satisfaction that Tay had the balls enough to put his foot down on dishing out the travel expense to take Ez and Nat to Georgia for a day and a half.

Tay was bouncing Ezra a little ignoring the conversation. “Tay?” I asked, breaking him out of his façade trance. “Coffee?” I pointed towards the kitchen.

“Yes please.”” He smiled shifting Ezra and made his way into the kitchen.

“But, my family hasn’t even seen Ezra in a month!” She threw her hands in the air.

“Nat, this isn’t the time or place.” Tay rubbed his forehead as he stirred his coffee.

“Then when is the time, and where is the place Taylor?” She pointed at me. “I thought we came here to talk this over with her.” I perked up and looked between the two of them, confusion painted perfectly on my pale face.

“We didn’t come here to discuss anything.” He spoke softly noticing Ezra tense up to the sound of his mother getting louder. “We came here to get his Halloween costume.”

Natalie bit her lip and shifted her position on the bar stool. She placed my favorite mug to her lips and took in the apple cider. That mug was on the top shelf, out of eye sight from pretty much anyone but myself, how did she even know it was up there?

“Its nothing spectacular.” I said walking towards the hallway closet. “It was my cousin’s costume when he was a baby,” I riffled through a few bags until I found the one I was looking for, “Here you go.” I handed the bag over to Taylor who swapped Ezra to Nat.

“What is it?” Natalie questioned, a disgusted tone to her voice as she squinted at the green material.

“Its Kermit.” Taylor said holding it up and turning it around so you could see the distinct half ping pong ball eyes.

“How old is that thing?”

“From 94.” I shrugged my shoulders. Marty was ten now.

“Is it clean?”

I took the garment from Taylor’s hands. “If you don’t want it that’s fine.” I said shoving it safely back in the bag.

“We’ll take it.” Taylor said taking the bag from my hand.

“We’ll pass.” Natalie spoke harshly. “Let’s go Tay.”

“Natalie…” Taylor was embarrassed by now, his cheeks turning a bright red. He went to follow the woman and his son out. “I am so sorry Ave.” He said. “She’s mad about not going to Georgia. She’s been moody lately. I don’t know what the issue is.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Its fine.” I lied. It was complete bullshit she had no right coming into my house and being a bitch to me. “She’ll calm down once she realizes just how amazing Ez’s party will be.” I smiled.

“I hope so.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at the floor.

“What’s wrong?”

“Everything.”

“You have to be more specific than that my dear.” I laughed a little.

“This is all wrong.” He closed his eyes and shook his head. Then opened his eyes again to find mine. “We haven’t been alone together in a long time.” He whispered.

“Not since that night you were being a creep and waiting on my porch steps for me.” He didn’t smile or take it as the lighthearted joke I meant for it to be.

He walked over to me and looked around, making sure no one was in eyesight or earshot. His lips brushed up against mine and I was going to give in. I strangled the Jiminy Cricket and any other subconscious being that was going to stop me. Every fiber of my being saying it was wrong and that this was a horrible, disgusting, thing to do…. But kissing Taylor Hanson, felt so so right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not very good, but its a filler.... more to come soon!