Thinkin' Bout Something

006

I took my seat eagerly next to Ellis. Micha had the window seat and I was situated in the middle. I buckled the seatbelt and waited impatiently for the rumbling of the engines. I fidgeted with my bag and picked at my nails. It was a quick 2 hour flight and I planned on sleeping for the majority of it.

Once the plane was in motion I closed my eyes and listened to the small talk between the family. Natalie’s mom had already began working on the flower arrangements, the dresses were picked out, bridesmaids and groomsmen were assigned and the small chapel was already claimed. It was crazy that it takes some people months and years of planning an event like this, but throw in wedlock and everything can be done in about a week and a half. I shrugged my shoulders and removed the earpiece. A few minutes later I was asleep.

I was jolted awake by Micha and Ellis trying to buckle me back up before landing. “I can handle it.” I said as I pushed their hands away. The button clicked and I wiped my eyes. We waited for a few minutes before disembarking from the plane.

The Atlanta airport was nowhere near as busy as we had figured it would have been. We grabbed our bags from baggage claim we found Natalie’s mom. She was a little taller than Nat, but other than that they were practically identical, save for the 25 years added on. I felt even more awkward than when I first got on the plane. Here I was standing in the middle of ATL Airport with dirty thoughts of Taylor Hanson, meeting his future mother in law seven days prior to his wedding.

I shifted the bag to my other shoulder and bit my lip. Taylor was standing between me and Natalie and he looked over at me. His shoulder length blondish brown hair falling partially in his blue eyes. He smiled reassuringly. I put on my best smile back and lifted my head back up.

We made our way Natalie’s mom’s house and we got ready to go out with her. She was having the bridal baby shower the day before my birthday, “as not to interfere.” I slipped on my electric blue strapless dress and straightened my hair. Micha put on her purple spaghetti strap dress and Ellis put on her black sundress. Natalie dressed herself up in a pink and white floral knee length party dress and we proceeded to pick up her other two best friends.

The air was more stagnant than in Oklahoma and the humidity was the worst. It was a quick drive at least to the rented room for the party. I made my way up the steps with my two best friends, the only people I knew felt just as awkward as I did.

“This feels wrong.” Ellis said.

“You’re telling me.” I stated softly.

“Just grin and bear it.” Micha chimed in.

The room was decorated in both flowers and balloons. One signifying wedding the other clearly pointing out the bundle of joy the expecting mother was indeed expecting. Since it was still too soon to tell it was done in the wedding colors, whites, blacks, and reds, and the ever classy baby blue and powder pink. It was kind of a watercolor gone horridly wrong, but given the time frame, and the circumstances, everything seemed topsy turvy, off kilter, and overall disgustingly wrong. I had to give her credit though, it could have been a million times worse.

She opened her gifts and I felt even more awkward. Its like someone cashed in on Taylor. Everyone gave her Hanson embroidered towels, silverware, and anything else you could tastefully add a famous last name to. I was a little annoyed. She smiled a wide grin as she ran her fingers over the capital H on the towels. Like she had been waiting to land something like him to change her lifestyle. It was something I had to hold back comment about.

Taylor was not the type to make a scene, go big, or even cash out on anything. He was an amazing down to earth person who was clearly being taken advantage of. I was fighting back the burning sensation in my throat, which at this point I didn’t know if it was bile or that awfully feeling you get when you try not to cry. When the room cleared to get a few drinks I was left with just Natalie. She was picking up paper off the floor and I decided to be the bigger person and help her out.

“So, are you ready for next weekend?”

“Not at all.” She said.

“Why not?”

“I don’t know if I love him, really.” She cleared his throat. “I didn’t see myself with Taylor Hanson, but that’s the way it ended up, now with the baby coming and the wedding practically on my doorstep, I just see myself growing to love him over time.” She pushed the paper into the trash bag that was laying behind the chair she was sitting on. “Besides, it will be nice to have some Hanson fame and money coming in.” She flashed me a quick smile and laughed.

“I see.” I really had nothing to say that wouldn’t end up bad. I had a million words building up and burning holes on my tongue. Love isn’t something that just magically appears after a long period of time, or a few months of being married. Love should have been there from the start, and it was finally clear to me that he didn’t love her either.

“Please don’t tell him.” She begged.

“I won’t.” I looked down at the floor and bent down to pick up a stray ribbon that had fallen off of the small table in the middle of the circle of chairs.

The night had ended and I hailed a taxi for Micha, Ellis, and myself. Natalie was invited to go out, and we were ready to turn in for the night. I thanked my lucky stars that Mr. and Mrs. Hanson put us up in a hotel. Zac, Ike, and Mac in one room. Zoe, Avery, and Jess in another. The three of us, and then a room for them. Taylor, got stuck at her parents house waiting for his soon to be wife to come back.

“You’ve been quiet.” Micha said.

“I can’t talk about it.” I said.

“All right, Emo, now is the time to tell us every last thing on your mind. I think once you get it out, you will feel a lot better.”

“She doesn’t love him.” I tapped my fingers nervously on the end table between the two beds. “She said she may grow to love him, she also mentioned how nice the fame and money will be.” I was clenching my hands into fists and then unclenching them. My fingernails dug tine half moons into the flesh as I gritted my teeth.

“Grow to love him?” Ellis questioned. “Whatever happened to marrying because you were already in love? Love doesn’t happen overnight.”

I shrugged and leaned back on the bed. “I don’t know what to do.”

“You need to get a hold of Tay.” Micha said.

“She’s right.”

I flipped open my cell phone and ran my fingers over the familiar number.

“Avelynne?”

“Tay? Can you meet me somewhere?”

“Of course, give me fifteen minutes and I’ll be there.” He said quietly before simply hanging up the phone.

He was here in twelve minutes, instead of making a scene he called me from the car parked outside. I softly shut the door after grabbing my hotel key and made my way down the three flights of stairs. Once outside I headed over to his rental car. He unlocked the door as I approached and I opened it.

“Are you okay?” He asked as I got in.

“We need to talk, can you just take me for a drive?” I asked.

“Of course.” He put the car in drive and he made his way down the unknown road toward the middle of an unknown city.

“What’s up?” He asked after a solid twenty minutes of silence. He parked the car near a city park and got out. I followed suit and met up with him by the swings.

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking.” I started before I could get anymore out I flt his lips crash against mine as he pulled my swing closer to his.

“I can’t marry her. I love you to much.” He breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
rants?raves?comments? give ti to me baby uh huh uh huh!