Status: done comment please! =)

Jamison's Wish

The Most Amazing Girl in the World.

“Kelly you have to go!” Jamie yelled.

“Jamie no I’m not going out when you’re in the hospital.”

“Come on Kell” my best friend Kate said trying to persuade me.

“No, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Kelly please go out with your friends” Jamie said. “I don’t want to be the reason you didn’t have a good birthday.”

“Jamie of course I had a good birthday I got to spend it with you lil brother.” I was at this point beginning to tear up. Jamie had gotten sicker after Christmas and was stuck in the hospital so I brought our traditional birthday feast of take out to the hospital to spend time with him, Kate decided to join me - she was as attached to Jamie as I was having grown up with us she was like a sister.

“Bull shit Kelly. I don’t want you to remember your 23rd birthday having been stuck in a hospital” Jamie said firmly. “If you don’t go I’ll have them drag you out of here kicking and screaming.”

“If you feel even the slightest bit worse you call me, no matter how late it is. And send me a text before you go to sleep” I said trying to make sure he knew I was serious.

“I promise to bother you like crazy if I feel sick even if you happen to be hooking up with some random guy.”

“How do you even know what hooking up is? You’re 13.”

“You shouldn’t leave your magazines here when you go to class.”

“So we’re going?” Kate asked hopefully.

I looked over to Jamie then back to her. “Yea, I guess we are.” I kissed Jamie goodbye reiterating that he had to keep me posted before Kate and I went to change before going out to one of the many clubs in downtown Pitt.

“I don’t know why I’m here Kate, I can’t stop worrying about Jamie.”

“That is exactly why you’re here. Jamie wants you to have fun it’s your birthday! You need just one night to act like a 23 year old instead of a mom because you’re not one.”

“Ok I’ll try to relax” I sighed scanning the bar. Two of our other friends, Meghan and Chelsea were out dancing with some random guys and Kate and I sat at a high top table a few feet from the bar. There were some cute guys here, but I wasn’t in the mood to be hit on and groped. Not that any of them would stick around once I mentioned that I was the sole caregiver of a 13year old cancer patient. Kate got up to join Meghan and Chelsea giving me a ‘cheer up’.

“Kelly right?” someone asked from my left.

“Yea do I . . .” I turned to look directly into the hazel eyes of Sidney Crosby “Hi.” He stood next to me our eyes at the same level. His hypnotic hazel eyes. Now I understand what it means to be dazzled.

“I was hoping that was you. The guys saw you and they weren’t sure.”

“It’s me!” I said with a smile. Something about the way he looked at me made me feel more my age, less motherly.

“I see” he chuckled. “What are you doing here? How’s Jamie?”

“Jamie is as stubborn as ever, he’s actually the reason I’m out right now. Practically forced me. Something about how I shouldn’t spend my birthday in a hospital.”

“It’s your birthday?”

“Yep the big 2 3” I smiled.

“Well, how about I buy you a birthday drink?”

“Sure that sounds great” I said standing up from the stool, realizing that he was a lot taller than I remembered the top of my head must have only come up to his chest. He took my hand almost like he didn’t mean to and led us to the bar, where we ordered our drinks.

“So Kelly, Happy birthday” he said leaning in so I could hear him.

“Thanks” I smiled looking up at him.

“Do you want . . . “

“KELLY you have to come dance now . . .” Meghan said pulling on my arm. “Bring him he’s cute.”

“I’ll be there in a bit Meg.”

“Alright” she said looking at me like I should make a move on Sidney.

“That’s one of my dear friends Meg, she likes to state the obvious and always when it’s the most embarrassing.”

“Don’t worry about that, I have a friend like that too . . . Max” he said straight faced. Making me laugh so hard I though my drink was going to come out my nose - luckily it didn’t or I would have been even more embarrassed and it would have burned!

“Do you want to dance?” I asked after I managed to stop laughing.

“I’m not a good dancer.”

“What if I pulled the its my birthday card? It’s not the most powerful in my deck but I refuse to use certain ones.”

“The birthday card huh?” I nodded smiling slightly. “Well ok, but only if you come and say hi to the guys after. Kris and Max will be mad if you were here and I knew.”

“Deal” I said taking the last sip of my drink. I took his hand like he had mine earlier and led the way to the dance floor where the three of my friends we’re dancing and laughing. “Loosen up Captain . . . If I can’t spend my birthday in a hospital you can’t spend my birthday thinking that you’re going to get in trouble. Loosen up, act your damn age for a little bit” I said smiling up at him. After a few second we were comfortable with each other being that close and were having a good time dancing joking around with my friends. He wasn’t as bad of a dancer as he made himself out to be but I didn’t tell him I was too distracted by the insanity that was running through my head. I was dancing with one of the hottest hockey players ever! It just doesn’t seem real.

The song ended too soon for my liking but I knew that I had to make good on my half of the deal and go to the table where there were other hockey players waiting. Suddenly I was very nervous I swear he could hear my heart beat over the loud music as we walked over to the table. Expectant eyes watching us. My mouth was getting dry and I’m about 99.9% sure that they’re going to think I’m some gold digging slut trying to take their captain home. Except maybe Letang and Talbot.

“Tanger, Max you remember Kelly right?” Sid said once we got there.

“Yeah, Jamie’s kick ass sister” Max said with a chuckle.

“I see I left a good impression.”

“Kelly this is . . . “

“I know who they are” I laughed.

“Right, well guys this is Kelly, and it’s her birthday!”

“BIRTHDAY SHOTS!” Max yelled jumping up from his seat heading to the bar.

“How’s Jamie?” Kris asked as I sat down.

“He’s staying strong. He’s excited for his birthday next week” I said with a smile. 14 my baby brother was going to be 14.

“What does he want?” Sid asked pulling a chair up on my other side.

“To go to a game” I said with a smile, a passion for hockey is something we both shared and bonded over. “But we’ll see if they will allow it. He had a bit of a set back right after Christmas but he’s getting better.”

“Let us know if we can help, Sid here can get the best seats in the house” Marc- Andre said from across the table just as Max came back with shots and my three friends.

“Kell there you are . . . You didn’t tell us you knew the penguins!” Meg said standing

“Umm you saw me dancing with Sidney like 2 minutes ago Megz . . .” I stated.

“Well it’s not like we expected the freakin captain of the freakin Penguins to be at a club talking to you, no offense” Chelsea clarified.

“Thanks, I think” I said noticing how shy Kate got once she saw Kris and the same for him. This could be fun. “Yo Kate, cat got your tongue sweetheart or are you a little star struck by Mr. Letang?”

“Kelly!” she said quietly but sharply under her breath. Kris face turned a slight pink and he diverted his gaze from her.

“What?” I laughed.

“So a toast. . . . To Kelly . . .” Max started.

“Don’t you think one of her friends should say the toast? I mean you just met her” Chelsea said being diplomatic. Max nodded. “To Kell Bell the most amazing girl in the entire world, you’ve been through hell the past year but you persevered and are going strong. Even though Jamie had to kick you out to get you here tonight we’re glad to be able to spend this day with such an amazing girl. Happy 23rd sweets!”

“To Kelly!” everyone said before we slammed back the contents of the shot glasses. I couldn’t ‘t help but smile at the sweet words that Chels said but I needed to check on Jamie and I kept checking my phone.

“Kell, go ahead and call the hospital and check on him, you won’t relax until you know he’s ok” Kate said hugging me tight.

“Thanks. Why don’t you try and talk to that guy you were starring at . . . You two would be cute together” I said before starting towards the door so it would be quiet .

“Kelly . . . Mind if I keep you company?”

“No not at all Sid thanks” I replied with a smile.

I dialed the number I had for the nurses station right by Jamie’s room.

“Pediatrics 3rd floor nurses station, This is Jenny.”

“Jenny, hi, It’s Kelly Klein. I just wanted to check on Jamison.”

“Oh, hi Kelly. I’ll go take a peek for you, just a minute.” She put me on hold and just a few seconds later she came back. “He’s good, sleeping, his vitals are better than this morning too.”

“Thanks so much Jenny” I said sighing a breathe of relief.

“No problem Kelly I’ll take good care of him tonight I promise.”

“Thanks” I said feeling relief and sadness all at once. “Bye.”

“Bye.”

“He’s alright” I said wiping my eyes.

“Kelly I know you said that day not to ask Jamie about your parents but can I ask you?” Sid said rubbing my arm lightly.

“Umm not much to tell about our mom really. She left us when Jamie was just a few months old and I was 9. She never wanted to be a mom, she said that our dad trapped her into this life with us. She managed with me but once Jamison was born she just didn’t care anymore, one day when I got home from school she was gone all her things were gone and I haven’t heard or seen her since. As for our dad, he did his best to take care of us and he did a pretty damn good job until he couldn’t anymore, he died 5 years ago. Same thing that Jamie has actually, but we caught it sooner than with dad so there is more hope. Luckily I was old enough to become Jamie’s guardian so he didn’t have to go into the system. It’s been the two of us ever since. Me and Jam.”

“Wow, I . . . I’m sorry I don’t know what else to say . . .”

“It’s cool this is normally where they run away anyways, I’m basically the mother of a cancer patient.”

“I’m not going to run away” he said looking me directly in the eyes. “There is something about you Kelly that I can’t seen to forget. Ever since I saw you reading that GIANT book in Jamie’s room.”

“I think you’ve had to much to drink . . . You’re clearly not thinking clearly Sid.”

“Actually other than the drink I had with you and the shot I haven’t had anything to drink.”

“Sid I don’t have time for a relationship . . . Or whatever you want from me. I have school and work not to mention Jamie to worry about. . . I can’t . . . “

“Kelly, all I’m asking is to get to know you . . . I know you have a lot going on but I want to spend whatever time I can with you.”

“But . . .”

“No . . . I’m not letting this go. You intrigue me Kelly.” He was standing right in front of me his body mere inches from mine, I could feel the heat radiating off of him.

“Ok . . . But Jamie comes first . . . Always.”

“Fine by me” he said with a smile gracing his face, framed by his perfectly kissable lips. Damn it Kelly now is not the time to want to kiss the hockey player . . . Even if he is being impossibly sweet.

“Well, we should head back and make sure my friends aren’t making your teammates uncomfortable . . . They tend to do that.”

“Alright” he said letting out a small laugh. “But I feel bad I didn’t get you a birthday present.”

“A you didn’t know it was my birthday and B your bought me a drink that seems like a pretty damn good present to me.”

“I want to give you something else though” he said acting a little nervous.

“What’s that?” I said in a near whisper feeling him step closer to me. My eyes followed his every movement until he pressed his lips to mine softly.

“Happy Birthday Kelly” he whispered after pulling away slightly.

“Thanks” I said unable to think of anything else. He smiled and led me back to the table where Chelsea and Max were having their own conversation, Kate and Kris were sitting neither talking only sipping their drinks and occasionally glancing at each other both too shy to make the first move. Meghan and Marc talked since they had their own significant others that weren’t there tonight. Sid and I sat down at the two vacant seats.

“How’s Jamie?” Kate asked worried.

“Good, sleeping” I said with a smile appreciating her worry for him.

“Good” she smiled sitting back in the booth next to Kris.

“Hey Kris did you know Kate speaks French?”

“Only a little . . . “ she stammered.

“A little Kate, you took 4 years in high school and I’m pretty sure you’re minoring in it. That’s not a little. You’re basically fluent sweetheart.”

“I’m not fluent” she said shaking her head looking at Kris. He smiled and started talking in his native tongue only to have her smile and respond all in French.

“That was a little sneaky” Sid said putting his arm behind my head.

“She’s too shy for her own good. . . Sometimes she needs a push in the right direction.”

“Her and Tanger both.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment & Subscribe =)