Sequel: Take Me There

My Sanity in This Insane World

Deux

"Why are you two not dating yet?" Molly asked, as she sat atop my desk, eating away at her grapes.

I'd met Molly through my work, an organization for people who want to get off their medication for their mental illnesses. It wasn't the best paying, but it still paid the bills. She helped me out with a pretty rough patient, who didn't want to have any help. He was pretty complicated, so we'd grown pretty close.

"Because our friendship is too precious to me," I snapped, looking up from my paper work. She stuck her tongue out at me. "And don't be speaking about this when he comes to pick me up."

She rose an eyebrow. "Why is he picking you up? Don't you have to go to that new person's house today?"

"Well, yeah. But I figured that would only take ten minutes or so. He can wait. We're going out to his parents house to eat."

"Aw, he's picking you up to meet the 'rents." She fluttered around me, flinging my curly around me. "How romantic," she said, as she stopped in front of me, her head in her hands.

"Oh, shut your mouth. I've met them before."

"Ever had dinner with them?"

I puffed out my cheeks, blowing air out. "No."

"See, it's the beginning of something, I'm telling you."

"Have you seen the girls he has dated? I'm not his kind."

"Please. You're beautiful, Lenny. You're his Noxy. Have you even seen the way he looks at you?"

I rolled my eyes, continuing on with my paperwork, before Krista, the secretary, called me, telling me Oliver was here, and ready for me.

"Have fun," Molly winked, as I walked by her cubical. I gave her the middle finger, shaking my head. She simply just laughed it off.

"Hey," he said, giving me a little hug. Krista smiled at us, before she went back to her computer.

"Hey," I said with a little smile. "Here's the address to that lady's house." He nodded, taking the little sticky note away from me, looking it over.

"She doesn't live that for from Mum and Dad. What's her name?"

"Mrs. Jones? I think. Her husband died a few years ago, did you know her?" I asked, as he opened the door for me, letting me go through.

"Maybe. Ask Mum tonight. She may know more then me."

Oliver opened my door for me, letting me into the car, and safely shutting it. He ran to the other side, me buckling myself, as he got in himself, turning it on, and picking a song to listen to from his iPhone.

The soft hum of smooth guitars came on, something he would only listen to with me. He knew I hated the rough, loud, and crashing even his band would play.

Don't get me wrong, they have talent. But it just wasn't my thing. I liked more of the indie scene. Music just wasn't something we would talk about though. Way too different.

We pulled up to the little blue house with white trim. It was cute, and I couldn't imagine that the little old, calm lady that was sitting on her porch screen had hardcore schizophrenia.

"If you'd like to come with me, I'd like that." He nodded, unbuckling. Doing the same, we walked up to the lady.

"Hello. You must be Miss Dray. I'm Heidi," she said, before she took a sip from her tea. I could smell the green tea leaves.

"Hi, Heidi," I said with a small smile. "You can call me Lennox."

"Such a pretty name for a pretty girl." She smiled at me. "And is this your boyfriend?" She looked at Oliver.

"Oh!" I could feel my cheeks blazing. Even Oliver's face got a little rosy. "No. We're just friends."

She rose an eyebrow at me. "Uh huh," she mumbled slowly. "Well, Lennox, if I may ask, what paperwork do you have for me?" She patted the spot next to her. I smiled and took it, as Oliver leaned against the rail, starring curiously at us as I did my work. He had told me that he found it so interesting. How quickly I have to make a relationship with these people.

I handed over her the little stack of papers to her with a pen. We waited, Oliver and myself making silly faces to one another. Tongues being stuck out, cheeks puffed out, to even kissy-faces. I giggled, as Oliver put on his natural pout, giving me crazy eyes. Heidi smiled over at me, handing me back the paperwork.

"Thanks so much Heidi. I'll be back within the week to start taking you off your medication." She nodded, telling me goodbye, and to have a safe drive home with my "friend."

I don't know what was more embarrassing. The way she said it, or the wink and smile she gave us afterward. We made a quick walk to the car, getting in and driving off.

"You know," Oliver said after a while. "For a crazy, she didn't seem that crazy."

"That's because they have her on about a billion pills a day. She's got to be stoned out of her mind to shut up her thoughts."

"What do you mean?"

I bit my lip, looking over at him. "Schizophrenics take everything seriously. I have a book that you should read about one. He cuts off his own hand because he thinks the Bible told him to do it."

"Seriously?" Oliver asked, mouth open, as we pulled into the little brick house's drive.

"Yeah. It's pretty crazy, actually." He shook his head.

"I feel bad for them."

I shook my head. "Don't be. Most of my patients did it to themselves. Heidi did meth."

"That little old thing?!"

"Yeah! Which is why you shouldn't do any drug, Mr. Sykes," I said, ruffling his hair.

He stuck his tongue out at me. "I'm safe!"

"That's what they think too," I said seriously. He rolled his eyes, opening the front door. We were greeted with the smell of rice and vegetable.

"We're here, Mum!" Oliver called out.

&&

"Oy! Get me some ice cream!" I yelled out of my bedroom, as I changed my shirt.

"Get it yourself, you whore!" Oliver called back.

I opened up my door, glaring down the small hall at the giant the stood at the other end of it.

"How much longer until you leave for tour, and I can have all my ice cream to myself?"

"Ouch, Nox. That hurt," he said, dramatically holding his heart.

"So is watching you eat all my ice cream, and not offering me any."

"Would you like some?" he asked, as he walked over to the couch, laying on it, pulling the blanket on the back over himself.

"I would actually," I said, walking over, and taking the bowl from his hands. I sat down at the other end, slowly beginning to eat it, while he popped a movie in, and got his own ice cream.

"So, I have a question." I looked over at him. "Why did Heidi get schizophrenia?"

"I told you; she did meth."

"Yeah, but what made her do it?"

I sat up, crossing my legs Indian style. "Well, her documents said that her husband died when she was thirty... four? I think. Anyway, it was really tragic. He died from a car accident. I think they had a twelve year old son, and twin girls. Ten?

"Once he died, she kept leaving the house. Her son said she would just leave, and come home, stoned out her mind. One day, she came home in a rage. Ended up cutting the older twin up the arm, and on her ankle. Kid said he had enough of it, and called the cops.

"They just plead insanity, not really knowing that she was actually insane or not. So when the test came back, it said she had schizophrenia. When she was in the hospital, she kept saying something like, it's all because my rock is gone. Robert, Robert. They think the reason is because she lost her husband, and didn't know how to cope."

"You should ask her."

"Ask her what?"

"What made her do it. Was it because she lost her love, or just felt the need to."

I looked over at him, his eyes filled with curiosity. He was so interested in this woman, for some reason. I couldn't just say no to him.

"I will," I said with a little smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chaptaaaa twooooo. Tell me whatcha think. I'm still kind of iffy on this.
Eh, we'll see what it comes to.