The Wisteria

Nine

The next morning, Tori got up early to make breakfast for herself and her friends. While she was flipping a chocolate chip pancake and humming “Up and Up,” Jenna and Alana came out. They were shocked to see her up so early…and in a good mood.

Normally, after a performance, Tori would sleep in and not be in the best of spirits when she woke up. Jenna came over and felt her forehead.

“Well, she doesn’t have a fever, Alana.’

“So, what could it be that’s affecting our friend so…?” Alana looked at Jenna.

“Happy?” Jenna concluded.

Tori dished three plates of Double CP’s, as she called them. She sat down across from her friends and stared to eat her pancakes. Jenna and Alana didn’t touch theirs. They stared at her eagerly, waiting for Tori to say something. Tori put down her fork.

“Yes?” Tori propped her chin up on her hands.

“So, what happened to make you so happy?” Alana asked.

“Guess.”

“An agent wants you?” Jenna asked.

Tori shook her head.

“You met a guy?”

“Yes. But that’s only part of it.”

Jenna’s eyes widened.

“Are you talking about Luke? It that what was affecting you last week when you were watching Man In the Iron Mask? Are you guys…going out?” Jenna had known Tori longer than Alana. All of Tori’s habits were second nature to her.

Tori nodded. Jenna and Alana’s reactions were instantaneous. They creamed in joy and leapt up. They came around and hugged her.

Tori snapped her phone shut.

“Mom said to meet her at the Olive Garden near her work.” Tori told Luke.

“Mmm, Italian. Is your mom paying?”

“Yes. She said that she’s so happy I finally got my own boyfriend instead of getting hooked up with one.”

“Hey, did she give me any credit?”

“No. But she’s a mom. C’mon, let’s go.”

Thirty minutes later, Luke and Tori were sitting down at a table with Tori’s mom, Sabriana. The necessary introductions had been made and Sabriana, being a proud mother, commented on what a good match they were, even though she didn’t know Luke at all. At least, that’s what Tori thought.

“So Luke, how are Clairee and Emmett?” Sabriana asked.

“Wait. You know them?” Tori asked, shocked.

“Yes. Your father had known them for years. Well, at least he knew Emmett since they were teenagers.”

Tori turned to Luke and Asked, “Did you know this?”

“No.” Luke shook his head vigorously.

“They spent the rest of the lunch telling Tori’s mom about how they met.

That night, Tori was having dinner with Luke’s family. Luke and Clairee were cooking and wouldn’t let anyone in the kitchen. So Tori and Kristin talked with each other, while watching Kevin, the youngest Wister, stare up at the TV in the Wister’s living room.

“Tori, I don’t know if you noticed but when Luke gets nervous or really excited, he kind of…rambles.”

“Yeah, he kinda did that yesterday, when he told me that he loved me.”

“No wonder he came home embarrassed and happy!”

Tori and Kristin laughed, causing Kevin to turn and glare at them.

“Sorry Kev.” Kristin apologized.

At that moment, Gabriel walked in. He sat down on the other side of Kristin.

“Hey Gabriel.”

Gabriel waved in response.

About thirty minutes later, they were all sitting in the dining room. Tori sat in between Luke and Emma, another of Luke’s siblings. They had been eating for a while, and Emma had been talking a mile a minute about something at school or something like that.

Luke took a hold of Tori’s hand. She squeezed it. Then the clock in the hallway outside chimed 7:30.

Luke leaned over and whispered, “All that’s left is dessert and then I’ll take you home.”

“Okay.”

When all the dishes were cleared off the table, Clairee brought out the dessert. It was a two-layer strawberry cake with white icing and sprinkles.

“Luke, did you make that?” Tori inquired.

“Nope, mom did.”

“What is it for?”

“You and I getting together.”

“They didn’t have to go to this much trouble.”

“It’s tradition in my family.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And there you go. You'll have to wait a little bit for chapter ten and eleven.