Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Nightmare

Rick was on guard first that night, and it wasn't too much longer before Glenn would be relieving him of his post. It had been quiet, and he was anxious to go to his cabin and curl up next to Lori. They had pushed together two of the small cots so that he could hold her in his arms. He smiled when he seen Glenn walk out of the cabin he was sharing with Daryl and stood up to greet him. That's when he heard the scream. It had come from Leah's and Andrea's cabin. Apparently, everyone else heard it too, because they came rushing out to go see what was wrong. He ran to the cabin and threw the door open, shotgun in hand and ready to shoot something.

Leah was sitting up in bed, panting. She was covered in sweat and hair was plastered to her face. Andrea was sitting on the edge of the bed next to her. She had her arm wrapped around Leah's shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. "What's wrong?" he asked as everyone else pushed into the room.

She looked up at the group, fear was all over her face and in her eyes. As soon as she seen Daryl she jumped up from the cot and into his arms. Her arms were wrapped tightly around his neck, and her legs around his waist. He had one arm underneath her to hold her up, and with his other hand he rubbed her back. "It's okay," he whispered in her ear as she cried. "Calm down, tell me what's wrong."

"I had the worst dream ever."

"What did you dream?"

"That they got you." She looked at him with large, sad eyes. Her green eye almost seemed to glow in the moonlight.

"I'm okay. No one's gotten me," a small smirk played across his lips, "No one but you."

She smiled. "Can I stay with you for the rest of the night?"

"Of course."

She unwrapped her legs from around him to stand and turned to Andrea, "You don't mind, do you?"

"Not at all," she shook her head and smiled.

Daryl held Leah's hand as they crossed the campsite to his cabin. He pushed two of the cots together so he could hold her while they slept. Leah, however, couldn't sleep. Every time she closed her eyes she could see images from her nightmare.

She had been standing on her back porch at home, calling for Napoleon. Daryl appeared, seemingly, from out of nowhere. His back was to her, "Daryl," she called, but he didn't move. She stepped barefoot off the porch onto the ground. It was colder than it should have been. "Daryl," she said again, but he still didn't move. She walked to him and put her hand on his shoulder. He turned to face her and her eyes widened in fear. Daryl's eyes were bloodshot and part of his flesh had been ripped from his face. "Daryl, no! It can't be!" He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her to him. She wasn't strong enough to fight him off, and he opened his mouth, a loud, almost growl-like sound came from him as he lowered his face and bit into her shoulder. She screamed. That was when she had woken up.

She laid in Daryl's arms, her back pressed to his chest. She was safe. So was he. There weren't walkers around for miles. She had nothing to worry about. Leah tried to roll over so that she was facing Daryl, but his arms tightened around her. "Daryl, are you awake?" she asked.

He didn't reply.

She pried his arm off of her and turned over so that she was looking at him. His arms tightened around her once more and she smiled. She put her arm over his, placing her hand on his bicep. She nuzzled his chest and whispered, "I love you Daryl."