Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Thoughts

Leah kept wiggling in Daryl's arms, so he tightened his grip on her. Hoping she'd just get comfortable and go back to sleep. He closed his eyes. "Daryl, are you awake?" she whispered.

He didn't answer her. He needed sleep, and didn't want to be up all night talking.

Leah started prying his arm off her and he allowed her to move it. Daryl felt her turn onto her side and he wrapped his arm back around her. Her hand seemed so small and delicate on his bicep. He felt her head against his chest. Then she whispered something, something Daryl wasn't completely sure he had heard correctly, "I love you Daryl."

He opened his eyes and looked down at Leah. Her eyes were closed and there was a small smile on her lips. Did she just tell me she loves me? he questioned himself. No, why would she love me? She should love anyone, but me. He knew his ears hadn't deceived him. She had said it when she thought he was asleep. Is she afraid of telling me when I'm awake? he wondered. So many thoughts flooded his mind. How was he supposed to think straight now? He had to figure out how he felt about her before she told him again.

The last thing he wanted to do was break her heart, regardless of what his feelings for her may be. He enjoyed her company and she was somehow able to keep his mind off of Merle. He was sure Merle was safe and could manage on his own, but it still bothered him that Merle had been left behind like a dog. Leah was the only reason he was even still a part of this group. With more people, there was a higher chance of them surviving. Granted, he was sure he would be able to survive on his own, but Leah wouldn't. She was too small and fragile, and didn't even know how to use a gun. She also didn't have the slightest idea on how to hunt. There was no way she'd ever be able to fend for herself.

Before his eyes closed and he drifted to sleep he decided that in the morning he'd teach her all those things. Granted, he couldn't let her shoot a gun, but he could explain to her what to do, just in case anything ever happened to him or they ever got separated. He had to make sure she could protect herself and survive.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a little short, but I just wanted to give everyone a little peak into Daryl's mind.