Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Beach House

The night was long and exhausting. Leah didn't have much time with Daryl since Merle was back, but she didn't let it bother her. When morning came everyone packed up and got ready to hit the road again. They wanted to find an actual shelter to stay in. "I think we should keep heading south," Rick said while everyone ate.

"Why?" Leah asked. "We keep going south and we'll eventually end up at the ocean. Then where are we supposed to go?"

"We could steal a boat and find a deserted island," Glenn said.

Leah looked at him and cocked an eyebrow, "I've seen 'Dawn of the Dead'. I'm not sure an island is the best idea."

"Fort Benning is out of the question," Shane said, glancing at Cole.

"Why?" Merle asked.

"It was ambushed," Cole told him.

"And you are?"

"I was stationed there when all this shit went down. I escaped after the ambush and we sort of ran into each other."

Merle glared at him, automatically not liking him just for the sake of not liking someone.

"Either way," Rick said, trying to ease the tension that was rising in the group, "we need to find somewhere to go. Somewhere where there's actual shelter, and we're not out in the open."

"My uncle had a house out at the beach," Cole said. "It was in a pretty secluded area, I doubt there'd be very many walkers there, if any. And it's big enough for all of us."

"Well, if there's no objections, then I guess that's where we'll go."

Everyone glanced around at everyone else, but no one objected. Daryl didn't want to go anywhere Cole suggested, nor did he want to be with the group now that Merle was back. However, since he and Leah had fallen in love, he wasn't going to leave her, and he wasn't going to make her give up a chance at staying somewhere safe, so he said nothing. When everyone had finished their food they all got into their different vehicles and got back on the road again. Cole was riding in the RV so he could give Dale directions to the beach house.

It was a long drive, but they finally got there right before nightfall. Cole had failed to mention that his uncle's house was not only big enough for all of them, but everyone was able to have their own room. Of course, Rick and Lori shared a room, as did Daryl and Leah. "How'd yer uncle get a place like this?" Merle asked as they unloaded the vehicles and carried what little supplies they had into the house.

"He was a self-made billionaire, always investing in different stocks and stuff. He had houses everywhere."

"We should probably keep someone on guard at night," Rick said. "Just to be safe."