Breathe Deeply

Chapter Five.

Tae brushed her fingers through her hair and leaned on the counter, looking at herself in the mirror. She sighed and gently ran her fingers over the bags under her eyes. Standing up, she crossed her arms and simply stared at the image before her. Frown lines were beginning to embed in her face, her eyes looked a little red and puffy and her hair fell flat against her shoulders. She sighed, dreading the day ahead of her. The day always led to night and night always led to nightmares.

Her feet shuffled against the marble floor, she crossed the room. She sat on the edge of the porcelain tub and reached over to turn the water on. For a few minutes, she watched the water run from the faucet into the tub, it filled up faster than the drain could handle. She stood up and slowly stripped away her clothing, climbed into the tub. Pulling a knob, the shower turned on and thus her day began.

It was a long day, full of monotone conversation and zombie-like behaviour. She went through the motions of day-to-day life, she supplied the needed responses to the needed conversations and nodded like nothing was wrong, but, the day finished quickly, and school was over. Tae leaned by her friends’ locker, listening to her incessant droning over how the ‘hottie-of-the-week asked me out on a date and what I should wear and what if he wants to have sex with her, I mean he is gorgeous, but couldn’t I just give him a—,’

“Tae, are you alright?”

“Hmm?” Tae mumbled, not really listening.

“Taelyn!” Jessica yelled, slamming her locker door.

“What?” Tae asked alarmingly, shaken out of her reverie.

“Were you even listening to me?” Jess exclaimed, narrowing her eyes at Tae. Tae nodded quickly.
“Of course I was, you were talking about how you’re going on a date and how he’s into stuff and how you’re a slu—“

Jess interrupted her, “Hey! Not fair.”

“Totally fair, but it’s your life.”

“Fine, fine. It’s whatever anyway, he’s just so hot!” Jess sighed and fanned herself.

“Yes, yes, I know, he’s dreamy all right,” Tae joked weakly, a weak smile forming on her face.

“You know it, girl. Hey, tonight me and everyone are meeting up at Tyler’s house and then we’re just gonna hang out, you wanna come?” Jessica brushed her hair from in front of her face and twirled it.

“Maybe, I have to check in with my mom, though.”

“You should come! It would be much more fun if you actually showed up for once.”

“All right,” Tae sighed, “I’ll ask and text you. I have to go home now, anyway.”

“Sure, but you have to text me. Don’t leave me hanging.” Jessica warned. Tae nodded and began her journey home, stuffing ear buds in her ears, trying to drown out her thoughts. She soon reached her house, pulling out her keys and unlocking the door.

“Mom?” she called out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back, comments and critiques would be lovely.