Status: Active<3

Rhythm of Love

Sorry

Alex's Point of View

I had fallen back in shock, and now I stared at Nora as she whispered to Damien. I was leaning against the palms of my hands as Beech ran up.

"Beech!" I gasped. "What the hell-!?"

"Don't," she said, her voice hardening. She no longer sounded like my baby cousin, but more like her mom without the accent. "Don't, Lex. Conner brought me and Cyn. You're not supposed to be fighting. Not after that stuff Dad gave you last night." Every head whipped around to look at me, and a gasp rang from Xavier.

"Of course," he said, his hand fslling as he fell to his knees next to me. "You were drunk. You were drunk, and you went to talk to Nora, and you said those things."

"I-" I looked around. "I don't know what the hell you're talking about!" A ripping noise sounded and Beech began wiping my face clean. "I didn't go talk to Nora last night. I haven't talked to Nora in fourteen years!" I pulled myself backwards with my hands, my back sore. Beech continued to wipe away the blood until even I knew my face was clean. I glanced at Nora, shaking my head.

"No," I whispered. "I didn't. I couldn't." I saw my little brother, glaring at me. "Eli-" he turned his face away. Even my friends stared at me in barely disguised disgust. I felt sick to my stomach.

"What did I-?" I started, but all of a sudden I didn't want to know. I jumped to my feet and away from everyone, the parents and kids I didn't know, Beech and Cyn, Conner, Xavier, and Ivan, and Damien and Nora and Eli, the traitor he was. It took them a while to realize what I was doing, and then they all started after me, each for their various reasons. Or maybe it was all the same. Maybe they all thought I should be punished.

One person caught up to me but didn't try stopping me. They followed me as I sprinted through the forest, jumping over roots and fallen trees until I was in a clearing with a dying willow. I stumbled to a stop and fell, not bothering to move save for curling into a ball. I began to sob as my companion pulled my head into their lap, and, looking up, I saw that Beech, of all people, had kept up with me.

"What have I done, Beech?" I asked her, sobbing still. She pushed my dirty, blood covered hair away from my forehead and watched me fall apart. "I hurt Nora so many times. I hurt Ely and Damien and Xavier. I brought hell to Conner's house. I cou.d never face them again."

"Yes, you can, Lex," she whispered. "You're the strongest man I've ever met, besides my dad. You are smart and kind and a wonderful person. Everyone knows it. That's why they know you're telling the truth."

"No, they don't Beech. How can I be telling the truth? When Nora... I can't..." Words no longer formed, and if they did, they came out in an incoherent jumble.

"Broken hearts and last good byes," Beech began to sing. I focused on her voice, as she sang to me a song I'd only ever heard once before in my life. "I'm sorry, this is the last time I will ever beg you to stay."

Distant shouts echoed. They were all looking for me. There was a rustling noise, and Nora and Eli came into the clearing holding hands. Nora froze when she saw me, and I stared at her sullenly.

"Beech," Eli said. "Get over here. Alex isn't stable." That sentence made my blood boil, but I didn't have the energy, the capabillity, to pop him in the face. Beech just shook her head at Eli, whose nostrils flared. He took a step forward, and I immediately sat up and put myself in between them.

"Don't, Eli," I said, sniffling to clear my nose. "Now isn't the time for you to get mad over the fact that Beech likes me better."

"I'm not- I never-!"

"Don't lie, fuck face!" I said, spitting the insult out at him like I had at Damien. "I clearly remember the day you slapped her because she wouldn't hug you and then she hugged me!" Ely was stunned into angry silence, and Nora stared at him in shock. "You stay away from Beech," I growled. "If anyone's unstable, it's you." I put a hand to my head as my hangover headache came back. "Nora- whatever I said to you- I'm sorry. Xavier was right, I was drunk, and looking for someone to blame my problems on. I genuinely thought something was going to happen to Eli. I was wrong." I stood slowly, Beech helping me. "You didn't do anything. I just have my own psychiological issues to deal with." I turned and looked at the dying willow.

"I found this tree the day after you left," I said slowly. "I didn't realize whose initials these were." I pulled out the note from last night and held it against the tree. "Now I know." I scratched out the bottom A and replaced it with E. "Now you can be happy." I let the note fall to the floor and started out of the forest. Ivan, Xavier, and Conner appeared and followed, Beech as well. Damien and Cyn appeared and watched.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Beech!" Cyn called. Beech shook her head and didn't look back.

I still felt horrible. I didn't want to know what I said. Sooner or later, I would find out. For now, I just wanted to erase the memories of Nora and Eli and Damien.

But not with beer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry by the Jonas Brothers. It's a beautiful song. Really.

Comments really make my day. <3