Status: Active<3

Rhythm of Love

Harder to Breathe

Nora’s Point of View

The rest of the night was no different than the first round of that day. I had completely underestimated the amount of teams going to be there competing for the title as the best band in the area. Initially, my estimate was about maybe twenty different teams at the very most when in reality, there were more than fifty teams here. However, this is counting the teams that have already been cut so I wasn’t sure how many were left. My new guess was probably in the thirties, give or take a few. After we finished our third and final song for that day, my band and Welcome to Paradise decided to relax in our room for a bit while the other teams finished their performances. And, to be completely honest, I wasn’t feeling good about our last song of the night. Damien had missed a note completely and according to him and Noah, I was tense through most of the song. These two problems could completely ruin us, and send us packing on just the first day. Due to the heavy emotions coursing through my veins, I found myself sitting on the floor groaning with my head in my hands. Around me, on the couch or standing up somewhere, all the guys were either talking or watching me sulk. Above me, Damien commented, “I think we’ll do fine. You’re worrying too much Nor. I’m sure we’ll be staying here for tomorrow for the doubles competitions.” My head snapped up, and I bared my teeth at him.

“You missed notes,” I retorted, “and I was tense and a pile of nerves.” He narrowed his eyes at me, and I did the same. The atmosphere of the room seemed to change drastically with the new mood being emitted from Damien and me. Next to Damien, I heard Noah sighed and he rubbed his temples in annoyance.

He groaned before saying, “You both need to chill out; you guys are making this place feel like the Arctic.” My eyes softened and I leaned back against the couch and ended up between someone’s legs. Heat rose up on my cheeks as I peeked up to see Alex also peering down at me. There was no possible way for this to be any more awkward for either of us. Don’t you dare say anything, Damien, I cursed him in my head as he noticed where exactly I was and in what position. One word and it’s off with your head! Surprisingly enough, he didn’t say anything but I did catch him snort in my direction and I stealthily ignored him.

Finally, the intercom sounded and ordered us onto the stage to be graded and told if we were going to make it enough. In a quick motion, I was stand in front of him and before I knew it, had my hand outstretched for him to take. It was only until he took it and I felt a shock spring through me did I regret it. When I say shock, I mean it quick literally – a static shock. A squeal erupted from my lips, even though I tried to hold it back. Alex instantly released his hand and he peered around frantically, like he was looking for something, or someone. He asked, “Are you alright?”

I nodded and smiled at him. “Totally fine. Don’t worry about me.” In my head, I was hoping he couldn’t hear the thundering of my heart. We stood there for a moment, him directly in front of me so close I could feel the warmth he radiated. But the moment didn’t last long, for Damien popped his head through the door and asked if we were coming. I answered, “Yes sir!” and the two of us left in silence.

Image


In a low growl, I whispered to Damien, “I told you this would happen.”

Our band, Behind the Unknown, and one other group named Behind Blue Eyes stood silently on the stage in front of the few tired and preoccupied judges. Welcome To Paradise had been the first to get off stage, and I wasn’t surprised; Beech had done absolutely amazing for being a ten year old. When I was a ten year old, I could barely sing in the school concerts let along on a stage in front of thousands. However, it wasn’t because of my voice but because of my intense fear of being onstage, or moreover, alone. If I didn’t have Damien right by me, I’d freeze up and probably make a fool of myself. The tense and nervous feeling from the last performance was similar, but mostly because the stress of the competition was also affecting me. And now, we may just pay for it.

The judge in the middle, who we’d learned spoke for the rest of them, stood and approached the stage with a mike in his hands. He went first to the lead of Behind Blue Eyes and spoke with his back turned to us. I was too busy sweating and forcing air into my lungs to hear a word he was saying. It was only until he walked over to Damien and I did I finally decide to listen. “Throughout today’s singles competition, Behind the Unknown has done a wonderful job in terms of vocals and keeping everyone on their toes by even dancing to their own music. However, we cannot grade such on their dance moves because this is not Dancing With the Stars.

“Continuing, lead singer Damien Rancourt missed a few key notes in the middle of the song…” While the crowd booed the criticism, I elbowed Damien and sent him a dirty look. He sent it right back at me. “Also, fellow vocalist Nora Matthews also, we noticed, appeared more frightened to be up there than anything else. She was a bit shaky throughout the performance.” My breathing stopped as the crowd continued to boo the criticism and Damien sent me an ‘I told you so’ smirk.

I don’t want to know. I don’t want to hear that all our hard work went down the drain because I couldn’t control my fear that I had thought was long gone. This thought, it was almost unbearable to listen to.

I’m not breathing.

“It was a difficult decision to make.” The judge continued on.

I’m not breathing. Why is it getting harder and harder to breathe?!

“However, in the end we made a decision by taking all of the performances in consideration,” the male judge explained.

And like a little girl cries in the face of a monster that lives in her dreams, I sang in my head to calm me down as my vision faded and I felt myself slowly sinking. Is there anyone out there because it’s getting harder and harder to breathe?

And before I heard the decision, or even an answer to my question, I fainted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Didja see how I snunk that song in there? ;D

Sorry for the late-ish update D: I would have done it yesterday but it was two in the morning and you know... it was LATE and I was TIRED! D:

PS: Thankies for the comments <3 and subscriptions<3