Status: Active<3

Rhythm of Love

Be Careful What You Wish For

Alex's Point of View

I was glad to be off the airplane. I had been ready to vomit what little breakfast burger I'd been able to scarf down that morning. Now I was away from the airport and ready for Disney.

As Damien and I were finding out, we had plenty in common. Music helped a lot, and I was talking to Damien about "slipping" one of his demos into the producer's desk to see if he liked them.

It was then I remembered that Damien knew, and so did Nicolette. Did that mean the rest of Nora's band knew too? Was Eli the only one in the dark?

I grimaced and looked at my little brother, who sat next to Beech, staring out of the window. There was something sunken about his face, like he knew something was coming. I looked away. If I even looked at him a certain way, I had a feeling it would confirm something inside him.

We reached the hotel and I ran to grab the keys. Thanks to my wonderful recording company, we had about 3 suites to ourselves, and the girls were getting their own. Welcome to Paradise and the other band members of Behind the Unknown had the two other rooms to ourselves, and I made it clear with Conner I was not taking a room with Eli.

I don't think I could have.

Next thing I knew, we were on our way into Disney World, everyone just chatting uncessantly. I put my head in my hands, a form of jetlag pulling me into the recesses of my mind. A tap on my shoulder brought me to, and Nicolette looked at me, worried.

"I need to talk to you," she whispered. "After you talk to Eli." She looked at him, and I followed her gaze. Eli was staring off, not joining in the talk either, but there was something about him that seemed sick.

Like my little brother was dying inside.

I flinched and looked away.

"This is a bit more than Nora," she whispered. "A lot more than Nora." Her tone worried me. I stared down at her, nodded, and sped up to walk next to my brother. He glanced at me, then stared ahead.

"What's goin on, bro'?"

"Nothin'," he mumbled. I scowled and looked away.

"Gotta be more than nothing if Nicolette's telling me to come talk to you."

"Yeah," he said, waving his hand vaguely. "Just some things going on... and it feels like Nora's ignoring me." I grimaced. So she hasn't told him. "But it's probably the other way around... I didn't go to see her when she was sick."

"She was asleep in five minutes anyways--"

"But... There was a reason I didn't go." I kept my gaze away from him. "As much as I wanted to go with you, Uncle Mack had to take me somewhere."

"Where?" I asked.

"The doctor's office." I glanced at him, wide eyed. "I've been feeling funny for over half a year now... So I went to the doctors finally, and they did some tests."

"So what's going on?"

"They said my consumption of sweets was high. They asked me if the family had any history of diabetes, and Mack said Dad's Mom had it. There was like a thirty/seventy chance that we could get it... and I did."

I stared at him for a bit. "Wait, you're diabetic?"

"Yeah. All those blackouts I didn't tell you about in France-- those were always when we would have sugar partys, or on birthdays. Nicolette was always there. But--"

"Wait, why didn't you tell me about those?" I asked him.

"Because you were so stressed. While me and the guys were out partying with our girlfriends, you were writing new music and managing money. You didn't need to know about my issues."

"But I need to know now," I said quietly. He nodded.

"They said because this has been going on so long, and as much sweets as I've been scarfing, there's a fifty fifty chance I might not make it to the end of the year."

I stopped walking and so did he. Everyone pushed around us, continuing on their way towards Disney World, but Beech stopped next to me and Nicolette stopped and looked at us.

"What do you mean, you might not make it to the end of the year!?" He shrugged.

"Exactly what I said," he said listlessly. He shrugged. "I gotta curb myself, and that's what I'm doing."

"But Eli-"

"Don't 'but' this, Alex. It is what it is. It's not like I could have known there was diabetes in our family, or that I would have gotten it, or that it's even that kind of diabetes."

"I just wish it was me... You've got so much more, Eli." He shook his head and started towards Disney again.

"Be careful what you wish for, Lex," I heard him say. I stared at him forlornly.

Beech ran after him and Nicolette waited for me to walk up to her before saying, "I told you it had nothing to do with Nora." I glared at her.

"Why didn't you tell me about Eli's blackouts?" She shrugged.

"He asked me not to."

"But why?"

"Like he said. You were way to busy back then." I stared after my little brother.

"Ugh." We started walking and I frowned. "So now what?"

"Support him," she said simply. "You have a whole year to get to know your brother than anyone on the planet. Do it right."

"Easier said than done, Nicolette." She shrugged again.

"You're his brother, aren't you? And wether you believe it or not, Eli looks up to you. Still. You leaving high school didn't change that." I grimaced. How did she know about that? "Like I said. Just... be there for him."

Nora came running back to me, grabbing me in a hug and walking with me, still hugging me. "I can't believe it, we're at Disney World!"

"Yeah," I said with a wince and a smile, not quite a grimace. "Everyone's excited." Nicolette smiled at us and hurried to catch up with the others.

"So," Nora began, her tone turning serious. "I think I'm gonna tell him soon. I just thought I should let you know-- oh my gosh, it's Mickey!" She ran away.

"Nora--!" she was out of earshot. I put my head in my hands.

Oh, no.
♠ ♠ ♠
Be Careful What You Wish For is this AMAZING song by Memphis May Fire.

We're all, just wasting time, standing still, waiting for, Something to happen! But, I think we'd all be fine, if everyone would just shut up and listen, Be slow to speak! Shut up and listen!

You should check it out if you like Escape the Fate. Cause it rocks. Ahh. <3

Kay, that's it for my advertising.Bye!

<3 Schiz