Status: Active<3

Rhythm of Love

Hakuna Matata

Nora’s Point of View

Damien, Noah, and I bounced down the stairs with the others following close behind us. After having not worked with each other for so long, our performance was not too bad. A grin was stuck on my lips as we chattered happily about the song and about how it was great to be working together again. Just as before, I stifled coughs as we maneuvered through the crowds of people to the bar, once in awhile being greeted with congratulations and bright smiles on the way. I would do the same back, but at that moment I was on a mission: grab a drink and stay out of the smoke. Behind me, Damien spoke loudly with frequent audience members they’d come to know over the years I was gone. I shook my head and continued to the bar.

“Hello,” I greeted the man with a smile. “A water would be great.”

The older looking man nodded and headed to the back kitchen with a glass in his hand. As I waited for his return, I spun around in the stool and watched the next band walk on the stage. My eyes traced their movements as the grin that had been plastered on melted into a curious line of determination. Why did they look so familiar? As my mind pondered this thought, the gentleman returned with my drink and I threw a wad of cash on the table without looking away from the stage. For all I was aware, I could have thrown twenty dollars down.

And from the gasp of delight behind me, I wouldn’t be surprised if I did.

The lead vocalist began to sing the lyrics to a newer sing by Linkin Park and I found myself swaying to the beat of it. My eyes soon closed as I listened to the voice singing and took a sip of my water. When I reopened my eyes and could clearly see the vocalist’s own eyes, I was tempted to do many things at that moment. One of those things was to spit out all the water I’d failed to swallow beforehand, but I somehow managed to keep it down. It was Alex. As I slowly allowed the liquid to flow down my throat, a new smile formed on my lips as I watched him, Ivan, Conner, and Xander. It was Welcome to Paradise, how had I not realized sooner?

However, my grin soon faded as I spun back around in the stool, facing away from them. My brown eyes traced the cracks in the old wood as I remembered Alex and my relationship. It was mediocre at best; the two of us never did speak to each other. At least, we hadn’t since we were really little, no older than kindergarteners. A sigh blew from my lips as I traced the rim of the glass.

“Hello, miss?” My body jolted from thoughts as I heard the deep voice speak from near me. All of my focus landed on a male around my age, though he was otherwise unfamiliar. Bangs covered a portion of his eyes but I could see them sparkling as he took a seat next to me. Before he spoke again, I nodded wearily at him. “I’m sorry, but were you that girl who was singing up there?” He pointed to the stage as he spoke and a grin formed on my lips.

“Yes I was!” I squealed in delight, my smile bright and shrouding the memories that had been clouding my mind. “Oh! I’m sorry, let me introduce myself. My name’s Nora, and it’s a pleasure to speak to you.”

“Eli,” he grinned back, before turning to the older man and ordering himself a drink. He turned back to me, “And the pleasure’s all mine! Seriously, you’re a really good singer. I’m surprised I haven’t seen you here before!”

My cheeks flushed a cherry red and my fingers shook in excitement. It’s been awhile since being complimented for my singing, since in Paris I was focused on my education and helping out at the clinic. While I enjoyed every minute of it, the passion to sing would once in awhile flutter in my heart and I’d feel like a caged bird; a bird who desperately wished to open her mouth and sing. In front of me, Eli grinned and refocused his attention on the server who handed him a dark, syrupy liquid. My mind paused for a moment as I questioned what could possibly be in that drink. And by the look on Eli’s face, I knew he wasn’t entirely sure either.

“What is…?” I started.

“No fricken clue,” he chuckled, sticking his pointer finger in it. When he pulled it out, he sniffed it and grimaced a bit. However, it was soon disappeared as he stuck his finger out toward my lips. “You try it first!” My expression must have given away my horror because he began to laugh.

“No way!” I shouted, pursing my lips in an attempt to not grin back. “That could be dangerous! What if I try it and then die? You’d have to live with that forever!” The two of us laughed together for a few minutes as he continued to point he syrup-covered finger in my direction and I held if back as best as I could. However, a small noise barely audible lost my concentration on what I was doing.

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase!

Oh, crap.

Hakuna Matata, ain’t no passing craze!

This time, Eli paused too and a wide grin spread across his lips as I pulled my phone out with the song ‘Hakuna Matata’ from The Lion King ringing from it. It was specially placed for one contact in particularly, who reminded me of this phrase every day since she was born. However, right about now I could have used not hearing it’s childish tune. When I flipped the cell phone open, I asked, “Yes Cyn?”

On the other end, my ten year old sister Cynthia spoke happily, “How did you guys do? I’m sure you did wonderful am I right?” I chuckled and smiled at her adorable voice.

“I think we did pretty sweet if I do say so myself!” I told her, grinning at Eli who was smelling his finger. “Hey sweetie, did you have a reason other than that to call me?”

She was silent for a moment and I could only guess it was her nodding. “Mommy wants you to come home now so you can unpack your things and because it’s getting late. And I wanted to know if you wanted to watch a movie with me.” My eyes softened at her request and I found myself agreeing with her instead of arguing that it wasn’t even that late. But, it was impossible to say no to a girl like Cynthia. She was just too cute. When I hung up the phone, Eli turned his attention back to me, a smile playing with his lips.

“You gotta go?” He asked, cocking his head to the side. I nodded sadly at his question.

“Yeah,” I answered, “little sister’s request.” He laughed and I joined in after a moment passed. When we stopped, he held a bright smile.

“So hey…” he said, his eyes as bright as his smile. “I was wondering if you, yah know, maybe wanted to go out with me? It’s real fun hanging out with you I mean so…”

My heart fluttered a bit in my chest. “Are you asking me on a date, mister Eli?”

He grinned. “I guess I am.”

As I left The Rev after exchanging cell phone numbers with Eli and waving goodbye to my band, I couldn’t help but look back at the now empty stage, hoping that somehow Alex would be there watching.

But he wasn’t. And probably never will be.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to use the most random some I could think of... and this one just went BAMM!!! into my head XDD It means no worries! :D lol

Thank yous for those who commented<33 much appreciated!! :D

~[Mi]Kayla