Status: Active<3

Rhythm of Love

Step Up

Nora’s Point of View

Nicolette was squealing the whole ride to the home base of Cocoa City Records while flipping through her music player. Knowing that we would probably have to prove ourselves once more, and to the other three vocalists in the company, I sent her off to work finding us a good song that both of us knew. As we inched through the early-morning traffic, Nicolette would play a few songs every minute and ask for my opinion. However, so far none have remotely caught my attention; they were just too typical choices. No Katy Perry, no Evanescence, no Within Temptation, none of that. We needed to choose something no one else has done, or at least decide on a band or singer that not everyone knows well. As we were nearing the record company, Nicolette let out an exasperated sigh and grumbled, “What is it that you want, Nor? Everything I throw at you, you decline!”

I was quiet as she complained, trying to focus on not hitting the car in front of me or, worse, the insane biker who was trying to cross the street. When I was finally allowed to move, I sped into the large, four story garage used for all the surrounding buildings including Cocoa City Records. I killed the engine and leaned back in my seat, staring at Nicolette from the corner of my eye. She was glaring, pouting even. Again, she asked, calmer, “What is it that you’re looking for?” A chuckle flew out of my mouth as I took her iPod from her. She didn’t complain.

“I’m looking…” my voice trailed off for a moment. “…for a song that we can both relate to.”

She arched her brow. “Come again?”

Tapping on the screen, I revealed the movie Step Up and she instantly gushed. “Channing! Oh my gosh, isn’t he such a cutie? But wait, why are you…?” She paused, as a grin slowly appeared on her lips. A smirk decorated my own lips, ending the movie and flipping through her songs. Nicolette began, “But we aren’t auditioning to be dancers, we’re here to sing! I know dancing is fun and all and I would adore to do it to, but –” I raised one of my hands, and she was instantly silenced as a song echoed around us. She listened intently, tapping the beat with her right foot and smiling with me.

When the Samantha Jade’s voice died out, three words came out of Nicolette’s mouth: “Let’s do it!”

Image


Four people stood watching us as we entered one of the recording studios on the second floor of Cocoa City Records. One of them I could easily recognize was Mr. McGee, with his overpriced suit and expensive shoes while the other three – the other singers – looked as casual as Nicolette and I. The single girl had wavy red hair, flowing far down her back and matching it was a bright red hoodie over a black tank top. She wore short black jeans, and I was sure her hair went down further than those shorts. I noticed instantly that her arms were wrapped around one of the males, a tall brunette with a muscular build. Almost instantly I could feel the cockiness and see the size of his ego, and Nicolette must have seen this too because she grimaced. The last singer, a blonde male, instantly looked familiar though I knew I hadn’t met him before. I stared at him for a moment, taking in his messy hair and sparkling eyes and chipper vibe…

I almost gasped in shock. He looked like Eli.

“There’s my girls!” a voice pulled me from my daze and I found myself in a tight hug with Nicolette and Mr. McGee. I grumbled my protest, but neither seemed to hear me. The Eli look-alike laughed, while the other two ogled at each other. When the embrace finally broke, Mr. McGee added, “I’m so happy you came today; it means a lot! Especially with everyone else here too! The cute couple over there is Ashley and Evan, and the boy right there is John. Everyone, these two are Nora and Nicolette!”

There was an awkward pause as we all exchanged glances, not knowing what exactly to say to each other. Mr. McGee must have felt this because in no time at all, he was back to gabbing. “Okay, so I’d like the two of you to just sing one song, whatever you would like, so that we have an official record of your audition. Sound good?” Nicolette nodded eagerly while I pulled her into the soundproof glass room. While Ashley, Evan, and John remained standing toward the back, Mr. McGee took a seat at the desk.

He pressed a button. “Can you hear me loud and clear?”

“We do!” Nicolette squealed and I saw amusement flash in his face.

“Okay,” he continued. “Please put on the headphones so when the music begins you can hear it too. However, before that, what song is it that you would like to sing for us?”

I didn’t hesitate. “Step Up, sung by Samantha Jade.” Mr. McGee nodded, and peered through some records before pulling one out.

“Alright. This is just like any normal karaoke version of the song. You guys ready?” I peered at Nicolette, whose grin was wider than I’d ever seen it before. She peered at me too.

“Are we…?” I knew she wasn’t talk about if we were ready or not.

“We are.” I said, answering both of their questions and earning two grins. Thank god these were wireless headphones.

Drums and a few voices greeted our ears, signifying the start of the song. The two of us bounced at bit where we stood, grins on our faces as we went through the dance we’d thought up in the garage not even an hour before. We both sang out, while swaying our hips and bouncing and clapping to the music, “This is something for the radio. This is something for the radio.”

And then we really got into the dance.

“Boy,” we sang in unison as we readied to dance simple moves in the small space. “No matter what we go through, you step up; I’ll step up too. It don’t matter what the haters say, as long as you are my boo. No matter how hard it gets, this love will have no regrets. As long as when we stepping on the dance floor, it’s me and you!”

Nicolette began rapping out the next parts, while the two of us bounced and spun and twirled and moved to every move we had thought up. Most of them were ones she had done back in Paris, with her dance team and they were simple enough to teach me. We barely focused on the people passed the glass, and instead watched each other with huge grins. This was, of course, something that we always wanted to do together; just the two of us, the dynamic duo. I’d rather be out here with Nicolette than the guys, to be honest; they were awesome, but there was something about just bopping around with the French beau that was more fun.

When the song finally died out and we were completely out of breath, a thunder of clapping erupted from behind the glass window. Mr. McGee was on his feet, as was John while the two lovers sat in their corner but surprisingly grinned at us and clapped. Nicolette and I exchanged a glanced while I mouthed, “Told you so!” She let out a laugh and slapped my shoulder.

“That was awesome!” Mr. McGee commented as we exited the recording room. “I’m so happy I found you! Oh my gosh, this tour is going to be amazing with the five of you.” I blinked, surprised. We were all going on tour?

“Sweet!” Nicolette squealed. “We’re going on tour!” As I was about to send the group a grin and agree with Nicolette, my cell phone began to ring. When I pulled it out, the called I.D read, “Alex<3”.

“Hey Alex!” I said, a bit confused why he was calling. I know I told him I was going to be here, so why is he calling? He greeted me back, but something in his voice bothered me. Thinking nothing of it, I continued, “Hey, so Nicolette and I are signed on with Cocoa Records! Isn’t that…What?” I froze, taking in the information he was murmuring. “Why are your parents…?” And then, I flipped my phone shut and my eyes stared far passed everyone, tears lacing my eyes.

Nicolette sent me a look. “Hey, what’s wrong? Is everything okay?”

A tear slid down my cheek, falling gracefully to the tile floor. I gulped, not wanting to believe what he’d told me. As the seconds ticked by though, it became increasingly hard to stay positive. My eyes flickered to hers, watching the worry etch on her face and I gulped again.

“Eli’s in the hospital.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Reeeeeally late xD
OMG WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ELI?!?!?!?!? AHHHH MAAAAAAH GOOOOOOD!
I'm worried lol. But umm... yay, Nicolette and Nora are signed to Cocoa City Records! -throws confetti-

Mikayla<3