Status: Will be Co-writing with Sukawaii.

The Ties That Bind

Chapter 2

"The world is always changing around us
But the weakness will always remain
Through all the pain,
Believing who we are right here and now."
-Shissou

I sat there in my seat as the limousine continued on its course. My mom looked at me with her big golden brown eyes, and her dark brown locks of hair cascaded over her shoulder in a simple waved style.

Ever since she had married Kyou Otori, my mother, Reiko, had grown accostomed to the life of luxury that we had now. But not me. I was still struggling to adapt. Dinner and breakfast with my new family was like attending a funeral, no one spoke except for maybe to say, "Pass the salt please," or at least to speak of anything strictly business related.

You see, the Otori family were very wealthy and my stepfather ran series of medical facilities and hospitals. His three sons were sort of competing to see who will take over when he either dies or retires, and so far, the eldest of my three step-brothers was winning. Kenta, the oldest, was studying to be a medical doctor anyways. Ryou, the middle son, is studying to become a lwayer. But the last and youngest son, Kyouya was least likely to succeed.

I couldn't talk to any member of my new family to learn more about them without getting an annoyed look, but of course, the maids were friendly enough, and mom more than happy enough to talk with me or to play mediator between me and my stepfather. That was very nerve wracking for my mom acts just like her brother, Ryoji, alway chattering away like nothing bad ever happens.

It had taken mom at least a whole month to pry me away from my cousin Haruhi and Ranka-chan. I had stayed with them until mom had gotten settled with the Otoris and that was two months ago. Now here I was being dragged off to Ouran Academy, a prestigious school for the children of wealthy families to just waste time doing whatever. This was Haruhi's school too, but Kyouya, the only step-brother closest to my age, attends this school too.

My stepfather eyed me with his onyx colored eyes, his gaze hard and stern.

"Why are you not wearing the girl's uniform?" Kyou asked, eyeing my attire. I was wearing a mesh shirt under a blue shirt with short sleeves and a pair of grey cargo pants with two large loops at the sides.

Mom just smiled at the careless shrug I gave in response. I was doing my best to resist this major change. There was no way in my own personal hell, that I was going to wear that yellow dress with the large white collar. I mean the school uniform wasn't bad or anything. I just refused to wear dresses.

As if reading my thoughts, mom reached out and grabbed her husband's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Aya-chan doesn't wear dresses, Kyou." She said sweetly, and I saw her wink. I knew mom was easing me and Kyou into a decent relatonship but it was going to take a lot of effort for me to even see the man she married as my father and his studious sons as my "brothers".

Kyou-san just sniffed in silent disapproval, but he didn't say another word. So I just turned back to the window, watching the pelting rain turn my vision through the glass into a watery stream.

It was raining hard when the limousine finally pulled up into the gate of the school. I opened the door before the Chauffeur could get to me. Mom seemed a bit startle by this and she leaned over Kyou.

"Ayako, it's pouring. Wait for the driver to open the door for you next time." She scolded. I just rolled my eyes. I wasn't used to having people wait on me hand and foot. I was so used to doing things for myself, but of course Haruhi was the only I allow to help me since she does things out of kindness, not because it was her job.

Before I could walk off, Mom got out, ignoring the startled look of the poor limo driver. She walked up to me and I was soon crushed against her body, her dark blue umbrella shielding us both from the entire world now.

Her embrace caught me off guard, as did her kiss to my temple. She hadn't hugged me like this since my father, my real father, had died a year ago. "Ayako, I know you're trying, but try harder." Mom whispered into my hair.

I looked up into her honey colored eyes. My lips curled into a soft smile and I nodded. "I will, okaasan." I whispered quietly.

Mom smiled more and kissed my temple once more before handing me her umbrella. She slipped back into the limousine and leaning over Kyou-san again, she blew me a kiss before the limousine drove off. I was left standing there under the umbrella, watching the sleek black car become a little dot.

It seemed like ages before I realized how cold it was and I walked across the flower filled courtyard before coming to the doors. Ouran Academy was huge and the inside felt like a maze with all the twists and turns. But... I have a strong sense of direction, and thanks to Haruhi giving me a tour during my month of 'shadowing' her, I had quickly memorized Ouran's lay out.

Today is my first official day at Ouran Academy and I was not going to screw it up. Though I do wish that I had worn a coat or something. Gathering my courage, I reached out a hand and opened the door to the world that laid within.

~#~

The inside of Ouran Academy was huge, but not confusing. Luckily it was the end of the school day now and I had made through my classes with Haruhi and the Hitachin Twins help. Now I was on my way to Music Room #3 where the Host Club was at. I had found the room quickly enough. No sooner than I had reached for the handle when the door opened and a sweet princely voice spoke.

"Welcome to the Host Club, Princ-"

"-Don't waste your breath, Tamaki; it's only Ayako." Said a somewhat cold voice. I imediately glared at the owner of the voice. All five members of the Host Club were gathered on the elegant couch, wtih a pale blond haired male in the middle, his violet eyes were closed. But my attention was focused on the black haired teen to his right. My step brother, Kyouya.

I shot Kyouya a cold glare, in which he returned with an amused stare. "That's not very nice to say, 'oniichan'." I said in a sarcastic tone and Kyouya, like always, took it in a calm, collected manner. But the look in his pitch black eyes told me that today was not a good day to mess with him.

"Aya-chan!" cried a bubbly voice as a short blonde youth jumped at me, a pale blue stuffed rabbit coming with him. I caught Honey-senpai in my arms as he hugged me with a smile. He was very short for someone older than me.

I felt my lips turn into a smile and I ruffled his hair, "Hey there, Senpai." I said softly.With Honey clinging to my arm, I walked up to the only girl among the group ad the club members went to their spots, waiting for their clients.

"I'm glad to see you're here, Aya." Haruhi said, her brown eyes lighting up with a smile. I just groaned, falling onto the chair beside her.

I rested my forehead onto my cousin's shoulder, "I don't wanna be here, Haruhi; I don't even wanna be alive right now."

"Don't you enjoy being Kyou-chan's imouto?" Honey poked his lip out and looked up at me with sad brown eyes. His tone was cute and sorrowful at the same time. But when I looked at Kyouya out of the corner of my eye, I saw a mildly curious look in his gaze.

"Mitskune." came Mori-senpai's quiet voice. Honey allowed himself to be picked up by his cousin and he was placed onto Mori's shoulders. I sat there in silent shocked, not knowing how to answer my upperclassman's question.

'Do I enjoy being Kyouya's sister?'

All that question danced across my mind. Truth be told, it was fun to annoy him and our petty little arguments, which seemed more like heated discussions without the yelling and hate, were what tied us together. Kyouya had often looked out for me so far and we respected each other's differences, but....

"I don't know what my feelings for him are." I said quietly to myself, but everyone had heard it, including Kyouya.

Tamaki's lit up at this and I could see a plan formulating in his head. The Host Club Prince rose to his feet and he snapped his fingers. That one little snap made the others stand at attention. "Gentlemen, Haruhi. I just got a brilliant idea."

My eyes widened. I already knew what it was and so did Kyouya. The two of us glared at him.

"Do it, Tamaki..."

"...And you're dead." Kyouya finished for me, sharing the same thoughts as me.

A nervous smile crept onto Tamaki's lips as he now sat up more. "Come now, we already added Kai and Kasu. One more member couldn't hurt," He replied in a complexed tone.

I just groaned as Honey laughed from his perch on Mori's shoulders. "Aya-chan is gonna be a host like us, Usa-chan!" He said cheerfully to his bunny.

This made me groan even more. Of course, everyone had agreed to the very idea, much to the dismay of me and Kyouya. Tamaki finally rose to his feet and going into one of his episodes, he strode over to me and Kyouya. "I can see it now, two step-siblings so much in love and yet they can't break the taboo."

"Senpai!" Haruhi yelled in surprise. Her face was beet red as was mine, and Kyouya looked beyond mad. But Tamaki still remained in his little world.

Hikaru and Kaoru, a pair of peach haired twins with gold eyes, traded looks. "I thought that was our gig?" They said in unison.

"Yes, but this is a new twist. The two of you are twins. Kyouya and Ayako are step-siblings, free to love each other and yet not free to fall in. Like Romeo and Juliet, Antony and Cleopatra." Tamaki explained, going off into a rant.

I had stopped listening and clamped my hands over my ears from beside Haruhi. I didn't like the sound of that. Not at all. It was already hard enough for me to be in Kyouya's presence as a sister, but to pretend that we're in love at the same time? No. I wouldn't do it.

'Because I'm already falling for him.' I whispered in my heart. One month with the Otori family and I was already falling for one of my stepbrothers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just clear some stuff up for the readers. Ayako is Kyouya's step-sister, not his real sister. If I had made it her like that, this story would be really...bad. And I'm not even gonna touch that area of subject. This is as close as I'll get because this chapter was taken and rewritten from my original story for Ayako, with drastic changes.