Ransom

Thoughts

My eyes lay heavy and tired, but for whatever reason there be, my body refused to fall asleep. It was nearly four in the morning; Liam would be waking within the hour to get ready for work. The soft ticking of the clock made me flinch each time, growing angrier and angrier by the second. I wanted to just roll over and sleep, but something was keeping me awake. I would watch as cars drove by, sending their lights to reflect and dance across my tan bedroom walls. I pushed myself to a seated position and brushed my hair back with my slender and tiny fingers.

I let my feet press against our hardwood floors and silently glided to the door. I walked down the small hall to Ashlee’s bedroom and pushed her door open slightly. A smile came to my lips, seeing her in a restful sleep in her bed. It had taken nearly a week to keep her in her new bed, rather than the crib she had become accustomed to. Her blanket was wrapped around her tiny body and draped over her left eye. I chuckled quietly to myself and stepped in, brushing her hair and blanket from her eyes. I let my lips crush gently against her cheek and kissed her softly.

I escaped through her bedroom door, shutting it ever so softly behind me. I started my walk back to our bedroom, but a quick clank echoed into our small, but comfortable home. I stopped, listening carefully. Were we being broken into? I swallowed hard and waited for another sound to echo out into the house. It could have been the fact that I had been going on no sleep, but I could have sworn that I heard something. Goosebumps rushed over my olive toned skin when another bang rang faintly through the house. I couldn’t risk losing this person by waking Liam.

I wouldn’t give this man, or woman for that matter, a chance of finding my little girl asleep in her bedroom. I pushed past my fear and started my walk to the front door. I gripped the golden handle so lightly, it was as if I wasn‘t even touching it. I peered through the peep hole and found no one at the door. I spun in fear when the noise was slightly louder. I gripped onto the handle tighter, hoping my swift feet wouldn’t let me fall from my sudden movement. Every muscle in my body grew tight and ached at how smooth and silently I walked around the house.

As I grew closer to the backdoor, leading out into our large back yard, I stopped, listening for any sign of movement. It seemed like ten minutes passed by, but nothing ever caught my ear. I could still hear the soft ticking of the clock in my bedroom, but it wasn’t what I was searching for. Within a couple more seconds, I took in a deep breath. I was overly tired and knew that getting sleep for the night was not going to happen. I chuckled quietly to myself, almost embarrassed to think that someone would break into a home in this neighborhood. It was unheard of here.

I stopped mentally kicking myself when the creaking of our wood floors caught my attention. It was so close that this person must have been right behind me. Taking in a deep breath I turned, gasping when someone caught my upper arm. It wasn’t out of instinct; I wasn’t trying to hit anyone. I nearly lost my breath and blushed when Liam gave me the oddest of looks. What was I supposed to tell him now? He had caught me in the act of delusion and I didn’t want to tell him why I was eyeing down our back door.

“What are you doing?”He released my arm and gave such a warm, loving smile.

“I couldn’t sleep.”I laughed quietly.

“Took a walk?”I looked down at his attire, noticing he was dressed in his suit and readying for work.

His tie hung loosely from his neck, undone and waiting to be placed accordingly. I looked up at him and sighed. It wasn’t close to the time he had to be in for work; they must have called him in early for a case. I pressed my hands to his chest and kissed his lips softly. I rested my head on his hard and toned chest as he wrapped his strong arms around me.

“They need you already?”I asked with a frown.

“Little boy disappeared.”He whispered quietly.”I’m sorry, Nicole.”

“It’s fine.”I stated.”I would want someone there if it were me.”

Liam loosened his grip around my petite frame and pressed a finger under my chin. His dimpled smile was contagious, making me smile as well.

“Just remember I do this so these men can’t do anything to my babies.”He pressed his lips against my own, leaving a fresh taste of toothpaste when he pulled away.

I tugged on his tie, chuckling when he asked me to fix it for him. Out of all his collegues, he was most likely the only man who didn’t know how to do his own tie. I played with the thick fabric, tying it and twisting it until it sat perfectly against his chest. He closed his dark jacket, hiding the shining badge behind it. Liam was awarded the position of Commisoner when Tyler Frank retired. Tyler was a sweet man and demanding when it called for it. I was happy to know they chose Liam out of everyone else; he had his head on his shoulders.

“I gotta go, baby.”He brushed back my hair and shook his head.”You’re beautiful.”

My cheeks flushed a brilliant red, making Liam chuckle quietly.

“I love you.”One last kiss sealed our love before we walked into the kitchen.

“How about some coffee before you leave, sweetheart?”I questioned.”You wont have time to stop.”

“Just the way I like it?”His grin brought back his childish personality.

“Just the way you like it.”I pulled a mug for myself, but a large cup with a top for Liam.

I poured the freshly brewed coffee into the cups, mixing and swirling the sugar and milk for a few seconds. I met Liam by the door, who starred curiously into the sky. The sun was beginning to rise, but the warm weather was already here to welcome us outside. I handed him his large coffee mug and pressed my free hand between his shoulder blades.

“What makes these men do the things they do?”He asked curiously.”To risk their freedom. To risk watching the sun rise and fall every day. What makes them so,”

He stopped, trying to search for the word he was after. He sipped at his coffee and turned toward me.

“Nevermind.”He pecked my lips quickly before walking toward his car.

“I love you.”I smiled.

“I love you to. I’ll call you on my lunch break, alright?”He stepped into the car, leaving behind his family in a matter of seconds.

I watched until he disappeared down the road, leaving the sun rise and myself outside. With a sad smile I stepped inside, sipping lightly from my steaming cup of coffee. Liam was certainly right in questioning those mens’ actions. What really made that switch flick in their mind? Was it a bad home as a child? Was it drug use that led them down the wrong path? We could only wonder, because deep down inside we all knew that that switch belonged inside of everyone. Some just had a better control over it than others. With the thoughts roaming through my tired mind, I cautiously made my way to the back door once more.

I eyed down the thick, metal door, wondering how much pressure it would take to break it down. How much push or pull would a man have to give it before it caved in under his strength. Were really as safe as we all thought we were, or were we hiding behind a fake mask, telling us that nothing bad could go wrong. They say you live in your own world, but what if your own world suddenly came crashing down on you? I stepped toward the door I thought was safe and looked down at the golden, shining handle. I know what I heard, but was my mind really playing tricks on me?

I took hold of the doorknob and twisted it back and forth, realizing the lock was open. It was slightly loose, but it was an old door. I stepped away after locking it, shaking my head in disbelief. Ever since Liam told me the stories of the jobs that him and Matthew went on, I became slightly paranoid. Knowing what these men and woman can do to others was simply mind blowing. I walked back toward Ashlee’s bedroom, peeking in from behind her door. She was still asleep and would be for another two hours or so. It was my time to relax and try and get some sleep.

I couldn’t shake the feeling as I lied down on the couch, knowing that someone could easily make their way into our home. The windows only needed a good slam, the doors a good push, and that person could walk merrily through our home, snatching things of their liking or trashing things they hated. My daughter was my number one priority and both Liam and I wouldn’t take any chances. He did what he had to to keep us safe, but what if something back fired on him? What if he had been followed home and they just haven’t made their move yet?

I placed my cup on the small coffee table and yawned into my hand. I rested back on the couch, hugging the pillow tightly behind my head. Liam was a highly trained man and he knew how to do his job. To think he wouldn’t notice a follower or anything similar was only crazy to think. If anyone really did try and get into our home unwelcomed, I know that Liam could handle them easily. Yet that single thought crossed my mind; what if Liam wasn’t home? I was a young woman with a baby. What could I do? I groaned softly and tried to shake the thoughts out of my head.

I was tired and due for a great amount of sleep. I rolled over on the couch, closing my eyes tightly and knowing that my doors were locked. I had to rest, because within the next two or so hours Ashlee would be at my side, wanting break fast and a play mate later on in the day. With a comforting smile, I knew Liam and Matt were only a phone call away. I had absolutely nothing to worry about. I found myself finally at ease and before I could change that, I fell into a nice, but light sleep.