Ransom

Fight For Your Life

The silhouettes these men casted along the doorway only put the worst of fear through my heart. Knowing that there were two men against two, considerably small, women, didn't give Valary and I the advantage. I pushed Ashlee roughly behind me, telling her calmly to stay put. If things got bad, I wouldn't want her to get hurt. Liam was on his way to the cabin, but I could only pray he would make it here on time. It was only a few moments before we were stuck once more. I swallowed hard, eyeing the guys down carefully. Their low chuckles sent a wave of goosebumps to break out against my skin.

Rev stepped forward, allowing the luminating light to cast against his features. He was angry, yes, but how angry I would never know. They surely passed their small friend in the next room, which would more than likely put a dagger in their heart. Not out of sadness, but out of rage. Vengeance came forward as well, spinning Christ's hunting knife between his fingers. He was skilled at that, yes, but we didn't know how well he could yeild a knife. I was no master myself, but I didn't want to find out. Rev cracked his knuckles and growled lowly, "Well, you beautiful young women did some damage on our friend back there."

"There's more where that came from."Valary spat.

I looked, in fear, toward Valary, wondering why she would egg on such dangerous men. She knew exactly what they were capable of; why would she threaten them?

"We ain't worried about him,"Vengeance cackled."he was our maid anyway."

"Let's make this easy. You both come forward so we can slit your pretty little throats. I would call that even."Rev came forward slowly, raising his hands like he always did.

"I would suggest you step back."That came out of my mouth, but I found I didn't have control.

It was like my inner animal was breaking to the surface. No matter what these men did, they would no longer touch my little girl. I could hear her quiet whimpers from behind me, so I simply brought my arm around to hold her hand.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. You're okay."I whispered quietly.

"I'm the one with the knife, Nicole."Vengeance chuckled."Let's not make another one of those mistakes your good at."

"Just let us go! We've done nothing to you! You have your fucking money! What else do you want?!"I could feel my adrenaline kick in; I was done playing.

"We don't stop at money. There's a lot of things we want, but we have to fight for them."Vengeance glared."And if we have to fight two fucking cunts to get to it, then so be it!"

Rev and Vengeance came forward quickly, but Valary and I didn't stay put. I quickly pushed Ashlee aside, listening as her cries grew louder as she thudded against the floor. I watched as Valary tried to run around Vengeance, but he only reached out and took a fist full of her hair. My feet guided me in their direction, but before I could muster out even the slightest remark, Rev wrapped a tight arm around my throat. I gagged against the pressure on my wind pipe, but I refused to give up. I brought my elbow back and into his ribs, but his grip never released me.

Valary turned in Vengeance's grasp, throwing a hefty fist into his face. He stumbled back against her blow, but was quick to latch onto her once more. Rev chuckled cruelly into my ear before spitting, "She too fiesty for you, Vengeance?"

"Fuck off,"He threw his hand to Valary's throat, pushing her roughly up against the wall.

"Ashlee,"I croked."It's, okay."

"Ashlee, baby,"Rev mocked.

Rev's head turned when Ashlee scampered her way toward the door.

"Get the kid!"Rev demanded.

"I can't!"Valary struggled against Vengeance, which only angered him more.

He threw an angry fist into Valary's jaw, forcing her knees to buckle beneath her.

"Run, baby!"I pushed toward the door, but Rev only pulled me tight into his chest.

He moved his arm over my chest, holding my arms in place. I could feel his free hand work it's way into his pockets. I quickly stopped fighting when the gleaming metal of a knife pressed itself against my neck. Vengeance yanked Valary into his grasp as well, pushing the knife tight against her pale throat.

Come out with your hands up! We have you surrounded! Return Nicole and Ashlee to me safely and you will be taken out quickly!

Vengeance's cold, hazel eyes turned toward Rev slowly. It was a haunting look that would be forever etched into my mind. Rev let out a low, cool growl before saying, "Fucking pigs."

I knew that no matter what happened to me, or even Val, for that matter, I only wished that Ashlee would make it out alive. No man would be able to take a three year old's life. Only monsters would be able to live with themselves. But then again, these dangerous guys were not men; they were exactly what we all feared; monsters.