Ransom

Freedom Isn't Free

"What do you want?"I watched in pain as Liam faught the urge to pull the trigger.

The knife pressed up against my throat was becoming more and more painful. It seemed as if the more riled up Rev got, the further he pressed the knife into my skin. Valary let out a whimper to my side as Vengeance greedily kept his arms around her. Rev and Vengeance let low chuckles errupt into the eery room . It was as if they thought he was stupid.

"You know exactly what we want and how we want it."Rev glowered."I want the money. All of it. I want your ride out of here, no questions asked."

"Is that it?"Those were simple tasks to take in order to get our lives back on track.

"I want the girl."I let out a whimper as he mentioned Ashlee.

"You can't have her."Liam's hands began to shake under his adrenaline.

"Just shoot them!"Valary's voice carried out into the small room."Liam shoot -"

"Shutup!"Vengeance pressed the tip of the blade underneath Valary's chin, warning her about her actions.

"You asked what I want and I told you. Now,"Rev smirked."are you going to follow through or are you going to stand there like a fucking pussy?!"

Liam's left hand tightened around his pants as he tried to keep control of himself. I know how hard it must have been to watch these two men take advantage of him like that. Here was the other half of his world, clutched tightly within the fingers of two evil men. It was like deja vu.

"You have three seconds."Vengeance chimed in.

"One,"Rev began.

"Let me give my wife a kiss."He whimpered."Just let me touch her before I go. Please, that's all I ask of you two."

"Step forward, Deputy."Vengeance cackled.

"One wrong move and they die."Rev warned.

I watched as Liam slowly inched his way toward us. His eyes held a certain spark I had seen only few times in the past. I could not place my finger on it, but it gave me a world of hope when I saw it. Liam came forward and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips.

"Two,"Vengeance counted.

"I love you."He whispered.

The room fell silent for only a milisecond. After he pulled away, everything went by too fast to count.

"Three!"Liam shoved his gun into Rev's side, pulling the trigger while doing so.

Rev's grip loosened immensely, allowing me free access to run. Vengeance just began to slide the knife over Valary's throat as Liam swung his pistol around, knocking him rather hard in the temple. Vengeance released Valary and I watched as she hit the floor. Rev clutched his bleeding side before he pushed himself in Liam's direction.

"Run!"I grabbed Valary's hand and pulled her carelessly to her feet.

We each followed through with Liam's orders and disappeared down the hallway. We sprinted through the living room, where Synyster lie unconcious, but in hand cuffs. Our feet carried us to the front door, which we pushed open to reveal our freedom. Valary and I collapsed a few feet away from the patrol cars, where we sat and cried. We cried for what we had gone through for the past week. We cried for being held captive for far too long. We cried because we made it. Because we were strong enough to sift through their torturous actions. I felt hands meet my shoulders and I knew I was safe.

I looked up into the eyes of Frank, Liam's trustworthy police officer. His chocolate brown eyes held nothing but concern when he looked down at me. In a calm voice, he asked, "Where's Liam, Nicole?"

I looked back toward the house, realizing that Liam had not followed us out. I tried to jump to my feet, but I was so worn out and exhausted that my body wouldn't allow it.

"Liam!"I screamed."Liam!"

Frank turned toward the other police officer's and in a demanding voice, shouted, "Go inside and cover him! Rick and Sean are in the living room with one of those bastards already! Get to goin'!"

I sat back on my knees and watched with watery eyes as two men sprinted back toward the house. I looked up at Frank and asked, "Where's Ashlee?"

"She's in Liam's patrol car. She's safe."He smiled."We have medics' coming to check you girls out. Let's get you some water. You must be dyin' of thirst."

Frank helped Valary and I to our feet before helping us toward Liam's car. We each sat in the back and I smiled as Ashlee curled up into my lap. I brushed her dirty, greasy hair from her eyes before saying, "It's okay, Ashlee. Mommy's here."

Frank returned with water bottles and passed them to both Valary and I. It wasn't long before they were nearly empty. Ashlee rested her small head within the nape of my neck and slowly drifted off to sleep. Valary reached forward and placed a small kiss on her cheek. I looked up at her and felt myself become overwhelmed all over again. If it weren't for Valary's quick thinking, Ashlee and I could still be hidden within Big Bear's walls. I gave her a warm smile before pulling her into a tight hug. I kissed the top of her head before whispering, "You are one of the best miracles to happen to us, Val."

She gave me a warm smile before tangling her fingers into Ashlee's hair.

"If it weren't for you, we would still be in there. Who knows what would have happened to us."I whimpered.

"I had no idea, Nicole."I watched the house intently, waiting for Liam to emerge."I had no clue Matt was behind this whole thing. I didn't think -"

She stopped for a moment to collect herself. No one would have thought Matt would be behind this.

"No one knew, Val."I whispered."Hold Ashlee for a moment."

I shifted Ashlee into Valary's lap before stepping away from the car. Frank came over quickly upon realizing I was out.

"The medics' should be here soon."He frowned."Are you okay, Nicole?"

"Where's Matt?"I could feel the veins along my neck begin to bulge out in anger.

"In Sean's car."He gave me a hurt smile before adding, "I didn't see anything."

He tipped his hat before walking in Valary's direction. I started to walk toward the patrol car when I saw the bulging shadow in the back seat. The shadow of a man that had a secret life. A man who would put anyone in danger just to get what he wanted. I walked up to the car and found him hunched over in his seat, face in his hands. I clenched a rageful fist before whispering, "Sanders."

He looked up, pain and sorrow in his eyes. They were red and swollen; he had been crying since he had been caught. His eyes met my fist, but before he could say anything, I brought it down hard and quick into his face. His head turned slightly on impact, but he kept his mouth quiet.

"I don't expect you to talk to me."I growled."I don't want that. What you did was absolutely wrong, Sanders. You're Ashlee's god father for fucks sake! You pulled this stunt just to get some cash in your pocket. To try and fix your marriage. Let me tell you one thing for certain - if Liam does not come out of that building alive, I will kill you with my bare hands."

Matt turned his head in my direction and his bottom lip began to quiver. I didn't feel any remorse for this man. He had taken the trust he earned over plenty of years and crushed it beneath his large boot. He was sure to scrape it into the ground before spitting on it.

"It wasn't supposed to be this way."His head fell as a gun shot echoed through the woods.

I turned back toward Big Bear and let out an ear piercing scream. The friction between my feet and ground guided me in the direction of the house. I never caught Matt's last statement as I took off running beforehand.

"It was never supposed to go this far."