Ransom

Bank Run

“Where’s my daughter?“It had been the first words out of my mouth so far.

“She’s fine.”The shorter man glared over at me before taking hold of his bandana.

He yanked it down, revealing a five o’ clock shadow along his face. He had strong features, but it only made him look the part of a bad guy. The other man, who had pushed me roughly into the van, pulled his bandana down as well, revealing a septum piercing and two lip rings. He was slightly chubbier than the other two men, but he still sent chills down my spine.

“I want to know my daughter is okay.”I clenched my knees tighter, growing angry that they wouldn’t inform me on her status.

“You’re daughter’s safe. Now shut the fuck up.”The van eventually slowed down, making me instantly grow more nervous.

I felt my stomach turn and flop over, making me feel like I was going to vomit all over again. I swallowed hard before wiping my tired and swollen eyes. The man in front, who ripped his bandana clean from his face, turned back toward us.

“Nicole. Up front, now.”I looked at the two men in the back, but they only smiled.

“You heard the man.”The man with the mohawk gripped the handle of the door, pushing it open with ease.

I moved only an inch before the larger man gripped me by my upper arm, pulling me toward the door.

“Okay!”I yanked my arm from his grasp, angrily eyeing him down.”Okay.”

“Don’t run.”He grinned as his hand slid over the handle.”or your baby girl dies.”

He slammed the door shut as I met the concrete and forced me to jump just slightly. I wouldn’t dare run for Ashlee’s sake. If these men thought I was stupid enough to put her in danger than they were completely mistaken. I gripped the front door handle and slowly pulled the door open. The large driver looked over at me with a grim smirk before waving me in. I took quick notice of the nose ring he had on his face. These descriptions would come in handy later, if I even made it to later. I slowly got into the seat, shutting the door behind me with both hands. The driver took one hand off the steering wheel and reached over toward me. I pulled away, afraid that he was going to strike me or do something dangerous.

He chuckled lowly before reaching for his cigarettes in between our seats. I let out a quiet sigh as he pressed one to his lips, lighting it in a matter of seconds. Before he put his pack of cancer sticks back, he pushed them in my direction, asking politely if I wanted one. I quickly shook my head before he dropped them in place. He didn’t roll down his window, allowing the van to quickly become engulfed in smoke. I coughed quietly into my hands, growing quite nauseous over the smell. I looked up at the man before quietly asking, “What do you want with me?”

The smoke crawled out of his nose and lips as the corner’s of his mouth pulled into a smirk. He flicked his ashes on the floor before stating, “The bank opens in half an hour. We’re not that stupid to cash a check you wrote for us. We know how the law works, Nicole.”

“So, why am I here?”He looked over at me, forcing me to stay quiet and listen.

“You’re going to walk into the bank and withdraw one hundred thousand dollars.”He pulled at his cigarette again, this time taking in a deep breath.

I opened my mouth to speak, but only snapped it shut. These men had to realize that I couldn’t just take out one hundred thousand dollars. Liam and I were well known at this bank, but they had certain protocols they had to endure in order to keep their buisiness going. The man smiled again and told me to say what was on my mind.

“I can’t just go in and retrieve that much money. They’ll tell me I have to wait or -”He stopped me rather quickly.

“You’ll get the money one way or another, Nicole. It’s ether that or Ashlee is going to deep throat my fucking gun.”He growled.

“I can’t go into the bank like this. I’m dirty, I’m undressed, I’m -”Again, I was cut off by a deep chuckle.

“You think we don’t know? Vengeance took the decency to get some of your clothes for you.”He smiled.

“You have such a lovely home.”I dug my nails into the seat, trying to stay calm and unangered.

“Does that make you angry, Nicole?”The shorter man gripped the back of my seat and whispered cruelly in my ear.”Does it make you angry that we took your baby? That we went into your home uninvited?”

His chuckles softened as he pulled away. Vengeance must have been the man with the septum, because he seemed rather happy to have gotten into my home.

“You guys wont have long to run with my money.”I whispered cruelly.”You’ll be in jail in no time.”

“Nicole, we’ve been running from the law for so long now. Why do you think we haven’t been caught yet?”I stayed silent, allowing the driver to lick his smiling lips.”Because we’re fucking brilliant.”

“Liam is no ordinary officer. He will find you guys. And when he does, you’re all going to die.”I flinched back as the driver’s knuckles gripped the steering wheel tighter.

“Shut the fuck up. Take your clothes and get dressed.”He looked over at me and I shrunk slightly in my seat.

“Where?”I whimpered.

“There’s a gas station across the street. Go into the bathroom, change and come right back. You give anyone even just a hint that something is wrong, you and your daughter will be dead. Then we’ll go for your husband.”He grinned.

“Here you go sweetheart.”Vengeance pushed a handful of clothing in my direction.

I reached for it, but he pulled back, a smug smile pressed tight against his lips. I reached for it again, but every time I went for it, he pulled away even further.

“Give me my fucking clothes.”I snatched them from his hands, forcing the guys to laugh quietly.

I popped open the driver’s door and made my way across the street. The sun had come up, leaving my dirtied frame easily seen. I asked for the bathroom key and made my way inside. I didn’t break down and cry, but became so frustrated that I threw an angry fist at the mirror. It cracked only slightly since I wasn’t necessarily the strongest girl out there. I pulled back my throbbing hand, cupping it gently. There wasn’t much to break or toss, but it was a good thing. I didn’t want to pay for a gas stations dirty bathroom. I changed quickly into my black dress that swayed just above my knees. I took multiple paper towels and wet them, wiping down my face and eyes.

I used my fingers as a comb as I tried to straighten out my hair. This was a very well known, classy bank and I couldn’t walk in looking like I had just rolled out of bed. I slipped my dark blue heels on and walked out of the bathroom, ready to finish the job. I gave the bathroom key back with a smile, hoping the man wouldn’t grow suspicious. As his fingers laced over the key, I wanted to desperately to lean forward and tell him to call the police. I wanted him to call Liam and Matt to tell them where I was going. I wanted my family to be free again, but that was too much to ask for. I made my way back to the van, watching as their blank faces grew into happy, stupid grins.

I got in, closing the door behind me. I dropped my night gown on the floor and looked over at the driver. With a low chuckle from behind, Vengeance said, “You clean up nice, Nicole.”

I looked down at my hands, pulling the dirt from under my nails. When I finished, the driver pushed the van into drive. He started down the road, keeping the drive silent and intent. When we pulled up to the bank, my heart had jumped into my throat. They would most likely give me the money after a full conversation, but it would take me a little bit. I knew for a fact that these men weren’t going to give me much time. As he parallel parked on the side, he looked over at me.

“One hundred thousand, Nicole. No less.”He growled.”Do this right and you can have your family back, alive.”

With a soft shake of my head, I escape through the passenger door and made my way toward the bank. My heart beat so fiercely as I pushed through the glass door, being welcomed by the usher.

“How are you today, Mrs. Connor?”He asked politely.

“I’m doing very well, Don.”I stepped into line, feeling my hands grow sweaty and hot.

I let out a deep breath as I looked around the bank. People came and went, walking by like there was no problem in the world. They would most likely go home safe and sound to their families and sit back for the day. No one would know that a young woman would be standing inside, playing chicken with her child’s life. I swallowed hard and was shaken from my thoughts when my name was being called. I turned, finding the bank teller behind her desk, smiling warmly at me. I walked up, being welcomed once again.

“How are you today, Mrs. Connor? Depositing?”She asked gently.

“No, I’m actually withdrawing.”I smiled.

She handed me a slip, but when I gave it back to her, she grew confused.

“This is half of your savings.”She chuckled curiously.”Why so much?”

“Beach house.”I retorted.”Along Huntington. It’s beautiful.”

“I bet it is.”Her smile turned genuine and I nearly breathed in relief.

She continued going through with taking my money and surprisingly didn’t give me any trouble. When she finally came to a finish, she asked, “How could you like that?”

“Doesn’t matter. Money’s money, right?”I chuckled.

“I’ll give you a few envelopes. Is that okay?”She eyed down her computer and I nodded in approval.

Within a few minutes I had received my money and escaped through the doors I had come in. I made my way to the van and silently got inside. I threw the envelopes into the driver’s lap, forcing him to laugh wildly.

“One hundred thousand.”I growled.”You happy now?”

“Not yet, Nicole.”He picked up an envelope, taking out the cash and smelling it.”Not yet.”

“What do you mean not yet?!”I cried.”You said you get the money and we’re done!”

“Don’t fucking yell at me!”His deep, manly voice forced me to scrunch in my seat and pray he didn’t strike me for snapping.

What did he expect out of me? He said once he had the money Ashlee and I could go home scott free. I wiped at my tearing eyes and took in a deep breath.

“I’m changing the plan up a bit.”He chuckled.

“What do you mean?”Vengeance leaned forward, eyeing the money happily.”We have to stick to the plan, Syn.”

Syn. That name would forever be stuck in my head. All I needed to find out was the shorter man’s name and I would be set.

“If we switch up the plan Sha -”Syn turned in his seat and began shouting.

“He can kiss my ass! I’m done listening to him! Do you fucking hear me! If he’s getting all the money than I want a commision!”He shouted.”What about you, short shit? Do you have a problem?”

I swallowed hard as the smaller man shook his head quickly. Syn had been fairly decent so far, but if this was what I would have to deal with if I took his bad side, then I would be silent as a mouse from now on. I clutched onto the door handle and starred out the window. Who was this other man they were talking about? Most importantly - when will this nightmare end?