‹ Prequel: Going Somewhere

You Better Pray

It's just an act.

Florence slammed the apartment door, and stomped towards the couch; muttering under her breath the whole way. When she finally reached the worn, but comfy couch, she let her body drop. “Bloody, greedy, heartless, son of a bitch! How dare he, after all these bloody years of paying overpriced rent?!” Florence huffed.

“What’s wrong?” Alice inquired as she emerged from the kitchen.

“Huh?” Florence asked as she massaged her temples, “Oh, nothing important… yet. Don’t worry about it. What are you up to?”

“Putting away groceries; I went down to the food bank today… It’s not much but that’s better than nothing, right?”

Florence smiled, “Yeah… It’s good for now, Ali.” She spoke as she made her way towards her room, messing Alice’s hair up on the way. Florence didn’t have the heart to tell Alice that they would soon be homeless; though, Alice had her suspicions. She sighed, knowing what she had to do now.

Alice reached into her purse and pulled out the business card she had received the other day. She had a feeling what this McRoy guy had meant by entertainment. When she got off the bus that first night, she had a feeling that it would come to this, she just hoped that it wouldn’t. She didn’t want to believe that it would.

Alice’s heart raced as she gathered the courage to dial the number that she held in her hand. She held her breath, unconscientiously, while waiting for an answer on the other end of the line. One ring, two rings, three rings…

“Hello, Jayson McRoy. How can I help you?” Alice’s heart skipped a few beats when she heard his voice.

“Uhm, yeah… this is Alice. You gave me your card when I waited on you at the Silver Diner.” She managed to choke out.

“Oh, yes… Alice. How could I forget you? What can I do you for?” He laughed. Alice was not amused; her stomach churned threatening to spew its contents all over the living room.

“I was wondering if your offer was still good.”

“Yes, of course. I can always use dancers, especially when they look like you.” Alice felt the vomit rise into her throat. “That being said, you will still have to audition. Is tomorrow afternoon good for you? Maybe you could come in around four o’clock?”

“Yeah... That’s fine.” Alice said, choking back her vomit as good as it rose even higher.

“Great. I’ll see you at my club, Pink Pony, at four.”

“I’ll be there.” Alice sighed as she hung up the phone. “Oh! Alice... What else have you gotten yourself into?” She asked aloud as she grabbed her GED test prep. “I sure hope you know…” She finished the thought. Alice couldn’t continue to worry. For now, she had to concentrate on something else.

Florence was in her room, sobbing. She had no idea how she was going to break the news to Alice. She finally wiped the tears from her eyes, before staring into the mirror. Florence sighed at the reflection staring back at her; and, decided to not even bother fixing her make-up… it was beyond repair. She ventured out into the living room where she found Alice fast asleep on the couch, with her test prep book sprawled across her stomach. Florence smiled before closing the book and draping a blanket on the sleeping girl. She returned to her room, careful not to make any noise that would wake Alice up.

***


“Wake up, Florence. You’re going to be late.” Alice said, as she was shaking the young woman who was sound asleep in her bed. “Florence… Florence!”

“Huuunnhhh?” Florence groaned from beneath her comforter.

“You. Are. Going. To. Be. Late!” Alice stated slowly. Florence’s body shot out of bed at these words; she couldn’t afford to miss her final exam.

“What time is it?” She asked as she was pulling on the first pair of pants that she could find.

“Ten. You’ve got to go… as in, now.” Alice commanded as she was holding out Florence’s purse and a plastic cup with cereal and a spoon in it. “No time for socks… Go.”

“Thanks, Ali. You’re a lifesaver.” Florence smiled as she shouldered her backpack and claimed her purse and breakfast. “I’ve got just enough time to catch the bus.”

“Let me know how it goes.” Alice said as she pushed Florence towards the door. Florence smiled one last ‘thank you’ before leaving. “Good luck!” Alice called after her as the door was almost shut.

As soon as Alice was certain that Florence wasn’t coming back, she began getting things around for her audition. She didn’t even have a clue as to what she should wear. Finally Alice settled on a plain white top and a plaid skirt. After all, wasn’t that every man’s dream? Didn’t they all want an innocent school girl with a naughty side only for him?

The moment that thought had entered Alice’s mind, her stomach revolted. She ran to the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet. “You have no choice, Alice. Suck it up.” She told herself before flushing and rinsing her mouth. “Well, you may as well shower while you’re here. Treat this like any other audition and put your best foot forward.” Alice reasoned. She turned the water on and removed her clothes before staring into the mirror. “Do you really have the body for this, Alice?” She asked as she poked and prodded at her body. Would Jayson even hire her if he knew her age? Alice shook her head, at an attempt to rid herself of these thoughts. She stepped into the shower. “It’s just an act… Treat it like any other role.”

By the time that Alice was ready, it was two-thirty and time to leave. She gathered her bags like Florence had done that morning, and made her way to the bus stop. “It’s just an act. It’s just another part in a play.” Alice told herself as she boarded the bus that had come to a halt in front of her. Looking around, Alice finally settled on a spot in the back. Alice closed her eyes and drifted off into pleasant thoughts; just like she had with any other audition. Alice felt that she was getting close to the club. She could sense the humiliation in the air. She opened her eyes and pulled on the ugly yellow cable above her head. The bus stopped down the street from the club. As Alice stepped off of the bus, she took a deep breath. “Alice Eloise Green… I certainly hope that you know what you’ve gotten yourself into.” Alice made her way towards the club. “It’s just an act, Alice. You don’t have much of a choice anyway.” She said one last time before entering the club. It was exactly how she had imagined it. Dark, dirty, and it smelled like sweat and shame. There was a large stage with stripper poles placed precariously across it, and a bar over in a dimly lit corner to her right. Alice looked around for somebody, when her eyes settled on a young man polishing the bar.

“Can I help you?” He asked as she approached him.

“Uh, yeah… I’m here for an audition.”

“Uncle Jay! A girl is here for an audition!” He yelled over his shoulder. “He’ll be right up. My name’s Nick, it’s nice to meet you.”

“Uh, yeah, likewise. I’m Alice.” She offered, too nervous for conversation.

“This is out of line, but I’ve got to ask; Are you even old enough to work here?” Alice thought about his question for a few seconds.

“I’m old enough to know that the girl who took me in and I will both be homeless if I don’t get a halfway decent paycheck.” She snapped. “Not like this is my first choice, anyway.”

“Fair enough,” Nick replied as he held up his hands in mock surrender. “I’m here for the same reason. How old are you?” Alice glared at him, letting him know that it really wasn’t his business.

“I’m Seventeen, too young to be working here. But my parents kicked me out, and I’ve got to survive. I would prefer not helping to cheapen the female body, but I’m not stupid. I would be fighting for my life on the streets of L.A. if it wasn’t for this job.” Alice’s face softened.

“I’m sixteen, and ran away from home to become an actress. I didn’t think it out before I left my town in anger, and I refuse to be like the rest and return as a failure.” Just as Alice finished her thought, Jayson emerged from a doorway.

“Alright, show me what you’ve got.” Jayson said, leading Alice towards the stage. “Just get up there and dance.” Alice dropped her bags and climbed on stage. Jayson nodded towards Nick, who in response turned on some music. Before Alice could think, Big City Lights by the Scorpions began pouring from the speakers. Alice went to that place in her mind where she could transform herself into any character. Alice imagined herself as a confident woman who craved attention. This was Rocky. Alice was Rocky, if only for a minute or two.

Jayson motioned for Nick to cut the music. “Well done! Well done! You start tomorrow. Be here at four pm, sharp. Four-fifty an hour, cash. Bring your own outfit. No drugs. No sex. Not while you’re on the clock, anyway. What you do on your own time is your business. Are we clear?”

Alice’s stomach churned as she transitioned back into herself. “Yessir, we’re crystal clear.” What was she going to tell Florence?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I lost all motivation -__-