Get Me Out of My Mind

Awkward Exchanges

I pushed the shopping cart while Garrett walked beside me awkwardly.

“So uh you guys just put out a new CD?” I said trying to make small talk but realizing after I had spoken that work probably wasn’t the best conversation.

“Huh,” he looked up and gave a small smile, “oh um yeah we did are you a fan?”

I shrugged, “I know a few songs but I wouldn’t call myself a full-fledged fan, but yeah I like your
music it’s nice. John has a pretty voice.”

He gave a small awkward chuckle, “so umm. . . You play key board?”

“Yeah, I’m not very good though. I think Lizz pretends I’m better than what I am.”

He chuckled, “I’m sure you’re great.”

I shook my head and reached for a pack of diapers, “no I’m actually terrible she just keeps me around because we’d go crazy without each other. So umm what’s the deal with you guys?”

“What the band?”

I rolled my eyes; yeah this guy is fucking clueless which makes him perfect for Lizz, “I mean you and Lizz”

“We’re friends.”

I pushed the cart to the medicine aisles, “if there’s anything you’d like grab it, and yeah right!
You guys knew each other for what a few hours before you got in my car with her, then you guys just show up on my doorstep together? Either you’re the most amazing friend in the world or you want something more than friendship with my Lizzie.”

He blushed but avoided answering by pretending to be interested in which gummy vitamins were better. I rolled my eyes and picked up the Benadryl. Getting Garrett to talk would not be easy.

“So did Brendon really just show up or was Lizz scheming again?”

Gigi dropped her pacifier, he bent down picked it up and handed it to me, I took it and pulled a clean one out the diaper bag, “here you go sweetie.”

“He called; I guess he thought Lizz was in a hotel or something, I told her she shouldn’t just invite people over but. . . “

“Yeah she’s pretty determined to do what she wants. Bill’s not gonna be too happy about Brendon. I guess I should buy him a cake.”

“If it makes it any easier I can stay somewhere else?”

Garrett was just too sweet, “nah it’s fine he knew you were coming he’s fine with it.”

“Oh. Why is Brendon an issue?”

I gave a small shrug “I don’t know if I’m ready to talk about that with you. No offense I just don’t know you that well and you might tell Lizz who will for sure tell Brendon, and I don’t want to make any one uncomfortable. Can we just pretend I never said anything? Come on let’s go get the fruit bars and leave”

He nodded but gave me this strange look, I’m certain this wasn’t going to be the last of this conversation. If he made me talk I was going to get him to talk too, Lizz needs someone nice like Garrett not a jerk like all of the other guys she’s dated.

We weaved the cart around people and I stood at the checkout line while he grabbed the Fruit Bars. Fall Out Boy's Thnks Fr Th Mmrs emanated from the diaper bag I reached in and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey Claud, I'm not going to come home tonight we're working really hard on the album and. . ."

"Yeah fine,” I sighed, he hadn’t been home in days.

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

“That tone, are you seriously mad because I’m working?”

I rolled my eyes, “God William everything has to be about you right? I don’t care if you’re working I get that it’s important, I just think your daughter would like to see you more often.”

The line was silent for a second before he sighed; “I’m sorry it’s just tensions are high. I miss you and Gee; I promise I’ll be home tomorrow.”

I started setting the things from the cart onto the conveyer belt and glancing back at to try and spot Garrett.

“Claud, are you still there?”

“What? Oh sorry Will I just zoned out, So tomorrow for sure?”

“I promise.”

“Oh and Will,” I bit my lip, “Brendon's staying at our place, I've gotta run talk to you later."

"Wait why is he-"

"bye." I hung up quickly and took a deep breath; its better he knows even if he doesn't like it.
Gigi giggled, I glanced back to see Garrett playing peekaboo with her. He stopped and handed me the box of Lizz’s popsicles.

“um, how much of that did you hear?”

He gave a shrug, “sorry I didn’t mean to eavesdrop.”

I sighed today was just not my day.

“Hey Claudia, getting more diapers for Gigi?”

I turned to the cashier and smiled, “oh hello Doug I didn’t know you were working today.”

“Yeah I wasn’t supposed to but someone didn’t show up and well here I am.”

I nodded, “Well working eight days straight sucks but you can’t complain about the pay right?”

He chuckled, “yeah I guess not.”

He scanned the items and continued to make small talk. Garrett took the cart from me and put the groceries into the cart. Doug glanced over at Garrett then gave me a questioning look.

“Doug this is my friend Garrett,” upon hearing his name Garrett looked up and reached over to shake Doug’s hand.

“Garrett, this is Doug. He’s like the only friend I have here. This pretty much explains why I’m at Wal-Mart like every day.”

Doug smiled, “Nice to meet you, so I’m assuming the infamous Lizz is here too?”

I nodded, “yeah she is,” I felt bad for thinking of it but the more people that were there when Will came home the less likely it was he would cause a scene. “You should come over for dinner tomorrow so you can meet her!”

“That sounds good,” he glanced at the screen, “it’s gonna be forty six and six cents.”

I fumbled through my purse and paid. He handed back the change and said a quick good bye before turning his attention the next customer.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took forever Lizz! but hey I worked Doug in!!