‹ Prequel: Before You Say I Do

Remember Us

Twenty-Fifth

Before I could really finish the story, Adam finally says something. “so I almost got married this last summer?”

“well, yes. But she’s a bitch and honestly, not someone you’ll ever want to cross paths with again.”

“how would you know?”

“really? You don’t trust me on this?” I was shocked. How could he think I’d lie to him about Stephanie?!

“well you did ruin the wedding. I’m assuming you’re just a tad bit biased on this.”

“no I didn’t! It’s not my fault she was cheating on you, lying to you, and that you didn’t love her. I just told you the truth, the rest was up to you.”

he lies back on the bed, “whatever.”

“no, not whatever. I don’t want you to be mad at me about this Adam. You chased after me. you grabbed Katie and drove to the airport. Not me. and I didn’t make you do that. When you couldn’t make it, you called Greg and my brother and made sure they were there for me when you couldn’t be. This wasn’t me forcing you to do anything. This was doing it all on your own. I don’t know what else to tell you. But honestly, would we be together if you hadn’t forgiven me?” the answer to that would be no. no we wouldn’t be together. no we weren’t together. Because he didn’t forgive me, not yet. I didn’t want him to know though, not now. I couldn’t lose him again. He reaches up a brushes away some tears that decided to fall. I push his hand away, “no, you don’t get to act like you just did and then be all lovey-dovey. I understand that you can’t remember Adam, but at the same time it’s hard for me to hear you question your feelings for Stephanie. I mean, of all your ex-girlfriends, that’s the one you question. I just can’t stand that.” When Adam wraps his arms around me again I allow him. After my rant I felt a lot better and it makes me wonder how long I had that on my chest. “sorry,” I mumble into his chest.

“it’s fine,” he replies softly, “how about we change the subject?”

“to what?”

“Katelyn’s boyfriend, Nicholas, right?”

I laugh, “yes, Nick. What about him?”

Adam thinks for a second, “well, what do I think about him?”

This made me laugh harder. Of course, I only knew what I’d seen recently and two years ago. What went on in between, I haven’t even heard about.

“well the first day you met him you weren’t too pleased about it…” and for the rest of the night I tell him stories about Nick.

I walk through the back door the next day and Stacy jumps at the sound. “oh god, I didn’t know you were coming in.”

“I really need to work some.” She laughs, “what? It’s been like a month.”

“yes, yes it has. How’s Adam handling things?”

“It’s been…interesting. We fought last night about Stephanie. But that’s been the worst of it.”

Stacy stops mixing the batter for a moment and looks at me, “you haven’t told him, have you?”

I knew what she was talking about, but wish I didn’t. Every time I was reminded of it, I knew that I should tell him. “I don’t want to lose him again.”

“honey, think about what happened when you kept Katie from him. He ran off when he saw her. I think your past has taught you that telling him straight up is the best route.”

“I know, I know. It’s just hard.”

“Everything that’s worth it is. Now come on, I’ll take over the front so you can be back here.”

“thanks Stacy. Just send anyone back if they ask for me.”

Around lunch time the door to the kitchen opened and I didn’t turn around, assuming it would be Adam. But when the voice spoke my name, I knew it has far from him.

“Jon?” I drop the spoon and turn around. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“what? I can’t stop by anymore?”

“no, no you can’t.”

“obviously you don’t know anything then. Because I don’t have feelings for you and never did.”

The back door opened then and I spun around to find Adam walking through the door. Blake must have told him to go through the back instead of front. I must say I was really happy to see him there, since I didn’t trust Jons motives one bit.

“Adam!” I quickly make my way over to him.

“Hey, ready for lunch?”

“yeah, let’s go.” I try to get out of there before Jon stops us but was out of luck.

“you’re just gonna leave me here?”

Adam looks over my shoulder to Jon and then back down to me, confused. “who’s he?”

“You mean, Julie didn’t tell you about me? wow, I thought the guy she almost married would be an important thing for you to know.”

“How many times do I have to tell you that I never loved you!? you were just the rebound guy, a distraction for me. It was obvious Jon! We didn’t almost get married; we weren’t even together for that long. I don’t care if you’re my best friend’s brother, I never want to see you again!” Adam had stepped back a little, letting Jon and I fight without him. Jon on the other hand, doesn’t make a move to leave. “Jonathon Gertes, get your ass out of my bakery this instant!”

Everything seemed to just shut-up at that moment. It was that awkward silence where you want to say something but at the same time, don’t want to be the first person to make a noise.

“well hey, looks like you’ve got a mad boyfriend. My cue to leave.” Jon gives a short wave goodbye and quickly gets out of the kitchen. I slowly turn around to find, indeed, a not too happy looking Adam.

“um, Juliana?”

“what?”

“I think we’ve got a problem.” He was glaring at me but his voice was normal. It was a strange mixture that slightly worried me.

“what? Jon? Nothing is going on between us. I can’t believe I even dated him.” I explain as best I could, but knew that in the end that wouldn’t change anything.

“no. I think I remember.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife