‹ Prequel: Before You Say I Do

Remember Us

Twenty-Sixth

My brain was still focused on Jon that I’m sure I misheard him. “what did you say?”

“I-I remember.”

“what?”

He looks at me nervously. Not mad, not sad, just nervous. “I need to think about this by myself for a bit.” Adam turns to leave and I couldn’t help but call after him.

“You can’t do this again. Not to Katie.”

He smiles, which I wasn’t expecting. “I’m not leaving Juliana. I’ll be back around dinner time.”

“are you going to get Katie still?”

“yeah. Don’t worry about her, I’ll pick her up from school.”

“okay. See ya later then.”

I return to the cake I was making. And then I make another five or so. Plus some cookies, and mousse. Really, anything I could get my hands on.

“has she eaten?” I hear someone whisper behind me, probably to Stacey. She’d been checking up on me all day but I kept brushing her off. My mind was focused on Adam and what he was thinking about.

“no. well, except for tasting the batter.”

“do you know what happened?”

“well, Jon came in and wanted to talk to her. But then he left, and I found her like this. She kept saying ‘he’s gonna leave again’ so I don’t know.”

A hand touches my shoulder and I jump, not knowing they were that close. “whoa, calm down sis.” It was only Blake. Of course he’d be the one here to help me. “what happened with Adam? Why do you think he’s going to leave?”

“he remembers Blake. He remembers everything.”

“you have nothing to worry about Julie. Adam isn’t going anywhere and I know that deep down, you know that too.”

I look out the back window and notice that it was dark out. How long had I been baking? “what time is it?” I ask in a rushed tone, trying to get everything cleaned up now.

“um, like ten?”

“shit! I can’t believe I’m late.”

Blake stops me and forces me to face him, “late for what Julie?”

“he said he’d be back at the apartment for dinner! It’s way past dinner!”

“breath Jules. I’m sure he’s still there. Stacey and I will clean up here while you go home, alright?”

I hated having other people clean up for me. I always felt guilty in the end. “But-”

“go,” he shoves me toward the back door

It was one of those drives homes where I hit every red light. At least that’s what it felt like. Finally, I pull into my parking spot and find Adam’s car there. I let out the breath I had been holding and get out of the car.

Suddenly my nerves were freaking out. He seemed so calm when he told me he remembered. Was that a bad sign? And what does it mean if he remembers at the sound of my ex-boyfriends name? that can’t be good.

I push all the thoughts out of my head, trying to tell myself that I was just making it worse. Whatever happens I could handle.

I open the door to my apartment and look around the house. The sound of the TV made me walk into that room. The screen showed the menu to Cinderella, A Twist in Time, which means they had already watched the others. Adam and Katie were on the sofa, asleep and there was a bowl of popcorn spilled over on the ground. I smile at the sight and quietly turn off the TV. I pick up the bowl and some of the popcorn before setting it on the table.

“Liana?” Adam mumbles, tiredness in his voice.

“go back to sleep Adam.” I set the blanket over the two of them.

He moves a little and opens his eyes more, looking up into mine. “you have a really uncomfortable sofa.”

“yeah, I told it to be uncomfortable just for you Adam.”

He smirks and sits up, moving Katie so that she’s in his lap. “What time is it?”

“getting close to eleven I think.”

“hmm, someone’s a little late.” He says, pointing to his wrist which held no watch.

I pull out the bowl I had sitting on the table behind me that held the chocolate mousse. “Well, I brought dessert.”

“Chili?” he asks. His face brightens up when I nod and he takes a spoon out of my hand, digging into the bowl.

“you had wanted to know what your favorite dish was, so I made it this morning to show you. I guess you know now, but still, it tastes good.”

Adam stops and stares at me for a moment. He moves Katie before sliding down the sofa onto the floor next to me, setting the bowl to the side.

“remember the day you had me taste that?” I blush at the memory. I swear I was acting like a child, afraid of those three little words. “I told you I love you and you froze up.”

“do we really have to be reminded of my childish actions?”

He smiles, “we both acted badly that day. But we made it through that. And we’ve made it through a lot more since then.” Adam rearranges himself and gets onto one knee. Well, attempted to. There wasn’t enough room between the table and the sofa so he fell back to a sitting position. I laugh at his attempt. “okay, nevermind that.” His eyes were staring right into mine and I was staring back. How could I not? he was proposing to me! or at least I’m pretty sure that’s what he was doing. “Juliana Skye Richards, will you marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.PROMOTE.
PLEASE!
<3 justrealizelife