Chronicles of the Chosen IV

The Sorceress and the Barbarian

The deserts of the Unholyland. Barren; filled with the worlds darkest creatures. One patch in the direct centre, as far from the easterly regions as it is from Manacalina. It is the lushest green for many a mile. In these hidden plains a couple is hunting. His great bulk and his great axe cleaving through primitive goblins. His olive skin shining with perspiration. His enemies crushed under his might. He made a deal with his own personal devil. And he’s gotten to like the practice he’s getting for it.

She travels over the long sea of sand that is the Unholyland looking for his oasis. His one city which bears his very name. Seth. Not the most orthodox name of the savoir of a whole people. Drawing nomads from around the Unholyland and helping them set up this town. But she needed his help. How was she going to say this to him? They hadn’t seen each other in so long. Not since they were mercenaries together. He’s seemed to take on this hero thing quite seriously. But she too had come a long way since he decided to leave the business. As she approached the oasis hunting parties ran past her on their way to look among the nearby dunes for whatever desert creature is the local delicacy. Many of large build and olive skin. But she knew none of them were him.

Among the great jungle amidst a desert. She was ambushed!

Each of these tiny creatures, looking almost human. With orange skin. She knew what these primitive and poorly armed monsters were. And she knew that if there were many of them she would soon be overcome; if only she had consulted those hunters… but of course that would be out of place. She would have to defend herself. She placed her hands in the sacred positions. Lilac light flooded through the air.

“ACNUM-ARCANUM!”

The first wave of the creatures were ripped limb from limb by the sheer force of this magic missile. Damn, she expected to get more. She should have brought mana potions with her.
Rapier drawn, she stood ready to fight till the last.

“Come and get me you orange bastards!”

Just before they carried out her request a blade came from their side.

He cleaved through them. In one hand his trademark great axe; in the other a long-sword. In his haste he let himself be surrounded. Obviously perceiving him to be a larger threat they charged upon him.

She watched with awe as this new savoir stretched out his arms; and spun with the momentum of his heavy weapons. Slicing his many tiny foes. Until they ran. Into the darkness of the jungle canopy.

“Who are you to enter these forests so poorly equipped?” the man said.

“I am a sorceress from the eastern lands.” She replied.

“Interesting I used to know someone like that.” His face sorrowful

“Are we near the town of Seth?”

“Yes, but are you sure you can defend yourself on the way?”

“I was expecting a gentleman like you to offer to take me yourself.”

“I’m sorry but not many people here could be mistaken for gentlemen.”

“I have a feeling about you. I knew from that jewel… Seth”

They walk through the plains. They glow, of course, this caused much concern for Seth.

“Don’t tell me you’ve brought that pendant with you!”

“I was charged with protecting it and stopping it from going into the wrong hands, as you were with yours.”

“You do understand that their being in close proximity to each other will be dangerous if anyone overcomes us both.”

“I doubt anything will crop up. This is your land after all.”

Suddenly, appearing to come out of the ground beneath them, more of these primitive orange creatures of short stature. His great axe drawn and three of their number already slain. He cleaved them all, taking them three or four at a time, them all mortally wounded at first contact. Seth the barbarian wonders why he didn’t think at first, that it could be her.
He looks back, she’s barely affected by the slaughter of these primitive creatures, barely beyond apes. Then again, he never did like her style.

Seth and the Sorceress are now avatars of the gods.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two rather interesting characters; can you tell that there's a slight dungons and dragons influence?