‹ Prequel: Take Two
Sequel: Crash

I Love You

1/1

"Why are we here Sam?" The dark haired beauty stared up at the cloud filled sky.

She didn't look at him. Instead, the girl closed her eyes and lazily leaned her head back into the dying grass of the field, basking in the autumn sunshine. Her pale legs were crossed at the ankle, since she was wearing a dress, and oddly, she didn't mind it. She didn't mind attending church with her mother earlier that morning either, both activities she rarely did. Maybe she was actually growing up. No, today was just special. She wouldn't wear another dress until the next school dance, if Sam asked her to go that is.

"I can't take my girl to a field and cloud gaze with her?" Sam smiled at the brunet lying next to him.

"But there are no clouds to gaze at! It's one cloud!" She argued, softly, not even cracking her eyes open.

"How would you know Wynter?" The boy sat up a tiny bit to look at the girl's face.

"You don't even have your eyes open!"

Wynter giggled, sticking her tongue out at him. Sam laughed and the two fell into a silence. It wasn't awkward, just a moment where the two teenagers just enjoyed each other's company. Wynter couldn't remember the last time she felt this relaxed, this calm, this giddy; this happy. It'd been a while. Not since freshman year, at least. Sam was just happy to be with her, Wynter: his best friend, his girlfriends, and maybe even, his love.

But he wasn't so sure. What did love feel like? He was worried that he didn't know. After all, he was only sixteen, with only two months until his seventeenth birthday. Wynter was his best friend since preschool. She happened to be his girlfriend as well - the only girlfriend he'd ever had. But was that love?

Wynter reached over to Sam, searching for his callused fingers on top of the grass. The boy met her halfway, grasping her tiny hand and rubbing small circles into her soft skin with the pad of his thumb. He liked this. He liked being close to her. It felt right.

Sam drew in a breath, “Wynter, I think I love you.”

The girl sharply sat up, a few tiny dead leaves stuck in her hair. “What did you just say?”

“I. Love. You.”

There was a long pause before Sam heard Wynter take in a chocked breath, like she was trying not to cry, and felt her gently pull her hand away from his.

“No you don’t Sam. I’m impossible to love.” The brunet murmured before hugging her knees to her chest, her sniffles attempting to quiet.

“Yes I do. Don’t ever say that. I love you.” Sam reached out to hug her, but Wynter jumped up, looking like she was about to run.

“Don’t say that. You don’t love me. If you say that you’ll leave. You’ll leave me for good. Just like everyone else who’s ever told me that they loved me.” Tears streamed down her pale face as she stuttered. Sam was in shock as he watched her wrap her arms around herself, a walk towards the road, her pace seeming to quicken every second that passed.

“Wynter!” The boy called after her, chasing her down. He grabbed her soft hand a made her turn around before she could get any farther, holding both of her hands in his.

Wynter couldn’t look at him. If she did, he would disappear completely. Sam’s heart broke at every tear that fell down her beautiful face.

“Please look at me Wynter.”

She did, eventually, staring at him with her watery crystal blue orbs.

“I’m not going anywhere,” Sam whispered, staring her dead in the eye. “I’m not leaving you, whether you want me to or not. I love you.”

He kissed her head, “I love how smart you are. I love how you show me up in pretty much every thing we do together. I love how funny you are and how you make any of my bad days better.”

He kissed both of her hands, “I love how you hug me almost every time you see me. I love how you hold me when I’m sad. I love how fix my hair every morning before first period. I love how your hands feel in mine whenever we walk somewhere.”

He kissed both of her cheeks, “I love your smile; it brightens up any room and makes every body else smile too. I love it when you sing in the car to the radio. I love how you’ll randomly make me dance with you during gym or study hall. I love every single doodle of us on your math notes.”

Finally, Sam gently kissed her lips. He leaned his head on Wynter’s forehead rubbing their noses together.

“I just love you.”

Wynter smiled up at him, no longer crying, but the tear tracks making her face feel a little stiff. She leaned up and kissed him with a little more force than needed, throwing her arms around Sam’s neck.

“I love you too Sam,” She said as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

“I love you too.”