Goodnight, Beautiful.

25.

It was mid-afternoon when Daniel and Bristol landed at O’Hare International Airport. For her, it was a slight sigh of relief to be home once again; the city had been good to her for over twenty-years and Bristol had begun to miss it. Philadelphia had nothing on the Windy City. Daniel begged to differ.

After having slept for nearly the entire flight, Daniel gently woke Bristol up from her much needed sleep. He felt bad doing it, after spending the night crying her poor eyes out her body had shut itself down the second the plane took off. Pushing her bangs off her forehead, Dan gently pressed his lips to the warm skin. She stirred while her eyes began to flutter open. “We just landed.”

Bristol nodded. Holding the back of her hand to her mouth, she let a big out and shuttered from the sudden chill she caught. Looking out the planes, small window, it was no surprise that the sky was dark and cloudy. It looked like rain. How fitting, Bristol thought. The only two seats they could find together last minute on their American Airlines flight were in coach, and at the very back. Neither of them minded; no kicking kids to worry about.

With her eyes still bloodshot, Bristol covered them with her sunglasses as Dan handed her the bag she carried on. She thanked him; not for just handing her the bag, but also coming with. Dan figured that he would have to meet Bristol’s parents at some point, but this was not his ideal situation. “How are you feeling?” He asked.

“Better than last night, that’s for sure.” Bristol grabbed Daniel’s hand and held it tight as they walked off the plane into the busy airport terminal. She never wanted to let go of him. “I’m sorry I couldn’t find us a hotel room, everything was booked and my mom insist—“

Dan stopped her from speaking anymore. He wished he could show her how silly she sounded. “I wouldn’t have wanted to stay at a hotel anyway, Bristol. I want you to be comfortable with your family.”

The lighter side of Dan was something she hadn’t seen in quite a while. The one other person Bristol wanted beside her was unfortunately stuck in Philly. Unable to fly due to his upcoming surgery, Kris had rushed over to the Carcillo/Martin household last night after he received the news upon Nick’s death. The rest of the Flyers organization, including the teams owner, had sent out their deepest condolences to the grieving young woman. When Caelan, Carson and Cameron saw how upset Bristol was, they too couldn’t help but throw their arms around her and shed a tear or two.

Unfamiliar to the large airport, stopped and looked around, trying to find where in the hell the baggage claim was. Bristol giggled at his frustration and lead him in the right direction. They waited patiently for their luggage, hopping that it even came. After Bristol called the airlines to see if she could get a ticket for Dan, she had no choice but to give up her rather unexpected first class one. It was nearly impossible to find a direct flight; they had an hour layover in Cleveland.

Rubbing the small of her back, Dan watched with a close eye as looked out for their bags. It seemed everyone on their flight had a black suitcase. He was grateful for Bristol’s advice to tie a piece of orange ribbon the handle. Bristol’s was easy to locate, hers was hot pink with large, black polka-dots.

Lacing their fingers together, Dan adjusted the Phillies cap on his head as they headed out of the airport. He left all navigation to Bristol from that point on; he had no clue where in the hell he was going. The humidity hit their faces hard the second they walked out. It became suddenly hard to breath and perspiration dampened both their hooded sweatshirts. Philadelphia had been chilly when they left in the morning.

Bristol held her index finger in the air as she tried to flag down a cab. When one finally slowed and swopped over to the curb, the cabbie hopped out to held load their bags into the trunk. Not feeling too sociable, Bristol slid into the cab and sat behind the driver’s seat. When Dan got in, the cabbie followed close behind.

“Where to?” He asked. The photo ID on the dash gave the cabbie the name of Sal. Just like her father.

Bristol gave him the address without breaking her gaze from the outside world. Lincoln Park was a good half an hour drive from the airport. The entire ride, Bristol sat comfortable against Daniel with his arm wrapped around her shoulders. She felt safe and secure in his arms, while she wished they could home in Philly, planning the vacation to Cabo they both needed. They were leaving in ten days for Mexico, and both looked forward to spending the week in the sun.

As they neared the home Bristol had grown up in, she pointed out the high school she had graduated from. Lincoln Park High school was now the school her youngest brother made his own reputation. After she and her oldest brother had gone through those halls, everyone knew you never fucked with a Giordano. Sean had it easy, Bristol always thought, he never had to work to install fear in his classmates.

The cab finally pulled up in front of Bristol’s childhood home around five that evening. Bristol paid and tipped the cabbie while Dan got their bags from the trunk. Daniel admired the house; it was older, just like the rest on the block but with the new beige siding, it didn’t look dated. The front door was open and the screen let a cool breeze in. Cars lined the street and chatter could be heard coming from inside.

Dan grabbed Bristol’s hand. He could sense her hesitation to go in. “Are you ready?”

“No, but I guess we have to go in, don’t we?” She slid the sunglasses into her hair. There was really no need for them; the sun was hiding behind clouds.

“It’ll be fine.” Dan assured. “I’m right here for you.”

Impressed at how well Bristol had been keeping it together, they walked up the cracking, concrete steps with their bags. She shortly let go of Daniel’s hand so she could pull open the screen door. The sound of chatter and glasses clanking was dominate as they walked in. After setting their bags by the stairs, Bristol grabbed his hand again. The presences of tears were making themselves noticeable again in her eyes as they walked farther into the house.

In the front room, Dan noticed a boy, no older than seventeen sitting on the sofa. He had a resemblance to Bristol and he held a small throw pillow to his chest. Staring into the black screen of the television, he didn’t look up to greet them. Dan assumed he was the baby of the family, stricken and shocked the most by Nick’s sudden, yet long awaited death.

The kitchen was large and open and the ones whom occupied it abruptly stopped their conversations and tasks when Bristol’s presence became noticed. Dan only recognized Matt; he sat at the oak table with a cup of coffee between his hands. His expression was long and while he seemed saddened by his brother’s death Matt had emotionally prepared himself for his day years ago.

“Bristol, thank god you’re here.” Getting up from the table was a woman who looked around thirty. She was taller, only an inch or two shorter than Dan, with long, dark brown hair, curves and surely a set of silicon breasts.

Adrienne engulfed her younger sister into a hug, the two girls stayed that way for several minutes before pulling apart. They both wiped tears from their eyes and offered one another gestures of comfort. Dan stood there silent, watching the interaction go one before his eyes. Here was a family who genuinely cared for one another, deeply affected by their brother/son’s death but not one ounce of blame or guilt could be sensed. No one blamed their self or Nick. Heroin was a devastating drug and it claimed the life of a young man who was loved by his family more than words could ever express.

Grabbing Dan’s hand, Bristol pulled him by her side. “Dan, these are my brothers and sister, Adam and you know Matt, and Adrienne. She’s Adam’s twin and my youngest brother, Sean is in the living room. My parents, Sal and Mary. Everyone, this is Dan,” Bristol hesitated to say the next words; she knew what kind of teasing she’d be prone too. “My boyfriend.”

He shook hands with her brother and sister, was slightly intimidated by her father, and hugged her mother while offering his condolences for her loss. Sal Giordano was a worn looking man, with crow’s feet and graying hair. He looked every bit Italian with his olive skin, dark, deep eyes and light Brooklyn accent. At a height of only 5’2, Mary was born to Irish immigrants 47 years ago in one of Chicago’s Irish neighborhoods. Her hair was full and thick with dark curls that matched Bristol’s. She had started her family young, getting pregnant at the age of seventeen. Her first four children were only years apart—with the exception of Adam and Adrienne who were twins—while Sean was seven years Bristol’s junior. Nick had only been 21.

“It’s very nice to meet you, Dan.” Mary was pleased her youngest daughter had found someone she truly cared for and loved. “The whole time Bristol was home for Easter she went on and on about you.”

"Okay, that's enough." Bristol interrupted her mother and shot her Adam daggers as he began to cover his laughter. Their mother was always one to bring out the old embarrassing photos around the new boy/girlfriends; Adam, Adrienne and Matt were waiting anxiously until she did so. The three of them always got a kick out of looking at Bristol's bare baby butt.

Bristol hated the fact she currently felt the way she did, but, under the current circumstances, her brother and fathers minds were elsewhere which meant they wouldn't be giving Daniel such a hard time during the short, two day stay. After the funeral on Friday, she and Dan were heading back to Philly. At least there, she would be able to occupy her mind goofing off with the boys and Danny. She would have never expected it from Daniel Briere, but the man had tendencies to act like a twelve year old boy.

---

"Are you sorry you came with me yet?" Bristol took a seat on the sectional sofa and leaned her head on Daniel's shoulder. He had accompanied her brothers and father in the front room to catch the final few innings of the Cubs game. He hadn't seemed too amused with the losing team, but it was better than watching highlights and pre-game shows about hockey in the western conference.

By his hesitation, Bristol could tell her father and Adam had probably started hassling him about something. Whenever they said they would kick the ass of any man whom hurt her, Bristol knew for a fact they were not lying. In tenth grade, after her junior boyfriend had asked her out to prom then ditched her that night, Adam had cornered the poor boy in the ally by the high school and kicked his ass so bad, he didn't show his face for a week. Bristol often wondered what ever happened to him after they graduated.

"Oh, god. What did they say to you?"

Daniel stretched out his arms. It was getting late; the time on the clock proved it. "Your dad told me he's not afraid to go back to prison."

Bristol groaned in frustration and covered her face with her hands. That was the line Sal used to use every Friday night when Bristol's dates would come to the door to pick her up. Afterwards, once they were heading to the theater, Bristol had to try to convince the shaking teenage boys that her father had never been to prison.

"I promise you, he has never been in prison," Deciding to have a little fun, Bristol stood up and headed towards the stairs. She was tired and looked forward to a hot shower. "Because, he's really good at not getting caught."

---

Daniel stood in the middle of the room that had been Bristols growing up. The walls were painted with a shade of maroon, black curtains hung over the windows and bunk beds were stacked up against a poster covered wall. She and Adrienne had been roommates since birth, and their living quarters surely showed the difference in personalities.

He assumed Bristol had the bottom bunk. Although her mother had long since put new sheets on the beds, Mary tried her best to find some that still accommodated their style. Bristol’s bedding contained dark and warm colors, where as Adrienne’s were more light and fun.

Tracing his finger along a photo frame on the dresser, Daniel picked it up and examined it. It was a photo of all six siblings. He could tell it was taken sometime around Christmas, there was a tree in the background and they were all dressed up in red and green sweaters. He almost didn’t recognize Bristol.. Her hair was short and thrown messily into a ponytail. Long bangs swept across her left eye and its color was almost shocking. There were only words Daniel could summon together: electric blue. A silver hoop shined in her right nostril and a spike went right through her eyebrow. He wondered how happy her father had been when she came home with that.

Her arm was draped around Nick. Their smiles were both wide and fun. He too had several piercings and the faintest outline of a tattoo was visible on his neck. Nick’s eyes were glossy, reddened in the corners and even in the picture screaming for help. Dan studied Bristol again; hers had look the same way, except tired. Tired of living a lie, wanting the life she once had back. That’s why Bristol had been numb last night, Dan realized. She couldn’t comprehend the fact that the lifestyle she had introduced him to had taken his life, not hers.

“Boo!”

Bristol jabbed her index fingers into Daniels sides and laughed when he jumped. It was satisfying to see him shake in fear and she understood why he did it to her. “Sorry, I was just looking at the pictures.”

“We are quite the Motley Crue, eh? Look at the blue hair,” Bristol laughed at herself. “Those are my lost years. Tomorrow my mom and I are going to through the boxes we have in the basement to find photos for Nicks wake. It’s your chance if you want to see some very embarrassing photos of me.”

Dan placed his hands on her hips and closed the distance between their lips. He found it rather remarkable that she was able to keep herself so together. Most women in her current state would have lost their composure days. He hated to feel selfish but Dan was rather thankful for Bristol’s strength. He wasn’t the kind of man who was good at dealing with over emotional and crying women.

Rubbing the satin material of her robe between his thumb and forefinger, Daniel took in a deep breath, relaxing to the fresh, clean scent of her body soap. Bristol snaked her arms around his neck, pulling him in closer to her body. It was the first time she had ever French kissed a boy in the middle of her bedroom. That was always Adrienne’s job. She truly hadn’t had her first boyfriend until she met her ex-husband at eighteen. Sure, she had been asked out to dances to see movies, but nothing ever happened past the first night; and it wasn’t Bristol’s fault.

Sliding her hand down Dan’s chest, Bristol played with the hem of his shirt. His lips moved to her neck and it was taking every bit of self-control for Bristol not to toss him on her bottom bunk and tear his clothes off. It had been a while since the last time they had been intimate and make up sex from the fight they had a week ago sounded good to the both of them right about now.

“For the love of god, I have to sleep in this room, too. Can you please keep the sexiness to a minimum?” Adrienne appeared in the doorway with her toothbrush hanging out of the side of her mouth. The pink sleep shorts she wore barley covered her ass and her new tits were popping out of the matching tank.

Bristol and Dan stopped abruptly. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment while she tried to hide what they had just been doing. She was the good girl, her dad’s baby and could no wrong. “Doesn’t anyone know how to knock in this family?”

Grabbing the sweats and tee Bristol had packed for him, Daniel headed into the bathroom for his turn to shower. With only one bathroom, he wondered how the hell the eight of them survived. Wiping toothpaste away from her mouth with the back of her hand, Adrienne couldn’t help herself from examining the new guy her sister had brought home. It wasn’t often Bristol brought home a good piece of arm candy. Bristol knew she couldn’t let Adrienne know he had money, all she’d see him and her as is a walking checkbook.

Slipping her panties on under her robe, Bristol had her back to Adrienne as she untied it and finished getting dressed. “I know how much you like to sleep with any guy to show the least bit of interest in me, but, please, keep your paws off Dan. I actually like this one.”

Adrienne held her hands in a defensive way. “Fine, I won’t sleep with him. Scouts honor.”

As the sisters waited for Dan to finish up with his shower, they went through the nightly routine they had done since childhood. Each pulled back the thick duvet; their room became too hot for it during the night. They fluffed their pillows, pulled the quilts out from their spots in the closet and turned on the old ceiling fan.

When her phone vibrated on the dresser, Adrienne tossed it over to Bristol before hitting the lights. She had expected the message to be from an old friend, catching the news of her short trip to Chicago and looking to go out for a drink. When she flipped it open and pressed the read button, Bristol quickly realized it wasn’t an old friend. It was Briere. Her breath become hitched in her throat and she slapped it shut the second Dan reentered the room. He found his way around the dark room and slipped in next to Bristol. He kissed her forehead goodnight as he wrapped his arms around her body.

Laying there awake in bed, Bristol watched as the minutes on the clock slowly ticked by. After what had felt like an hour—but had only been fifteen minutes—she was sure Daniel was sound asleep. Her pulse quickened as she opened her phone again. The first time she hadn’t been sure she read the message correctly, but at second glance she knew she had. Biting her bottom lip, Bristol read the message inside her head,

Goodnight, beautiful.