Goodnight, Beautiful.

08.

Folding a pair of clean jeans, Bristol stacked them in the tightly packed duffel bag that sat on the unmade bed. Her heart sank deep in her chest as she looked to her left and in to the bathroom. Standing in front of the vanity, Daniel packed his toothbrush, toothpaste and necessary shaving tools into his small toiletry bag. He didn’t have to glance up into the mirror to know Bristol’s eyes were on him.

“I can feel you staring at me.” A small smile tugged at his lips as he saw Bristol turn her head and finish up his packing.

“I guess I can’t keep my eyes off that cute ass of yours.”

Dan lightly laughed to himself as he tossed a few other things into the bag. He zipped it up and tossed it to Bristol who arranged the contents of his duffel to fit everything perfectly. The only problem he would have with that is putting together the same way she had when he’s ready to come home. He was certainly going to miss Bristol while on the road.

Chief—Daniel’s lazy English bull dog—found a comfortable spot to lay his head on the pillow Daniel would occupy for only one more night. Lying across the bed, he used his calloused fingertips to scratch at the dogs head. “I promise she’ll take good care of you,” Daniel pointed in Bristol’s direction. “She takes good care of me.”

Pulling her hair back into an elastic, Bristol zipped Danny’s packed duffle and tossed it on the floor next to the dresser. She settled down on the bed behind Danny, who turned himself around to face her. Wrapping her arms around him, she rested her head against his chest, taking in a deep breath through her nose. Bristol took in his scent, committing it to memory. He smelt how every bad boy should smell; of Old Spice, citrus and surprisingly enough, licorice.

“I’m really going to miss you.” Bristol kneaded the cotton of Daniel’s green The Who tee between her fingers. “It’s gonna be weird sleeping here alone. I’d go home but, I don’t want to be there alone with Allison. I can’t wait until she heads back to Chicago.”

Daniel kissed the top of her head and savored the moment of having Bristol snuggly in his arms. It was going to be one hell of a lonely week and he wasn’t looking forward to sharing a room with Richards. Bristol was a better roommate...not only did she smell better but she was better looking too.

“It goes by fast. You’ll be busy with dance classes to even notice I’m gone.” For the first time Dan wasn’t looking forward to road games. Never before had he been leaving something—rather someone, at home who he would miss. But now, he would actually have someone to come home to. Someone to love on him, ice his bloodied and busted knuckles and remind him over and over that he played well no matter the out come of the game.

He knew she’d be at his home, sitting on his couch and wearing his jersey frantically searching the ice for any signs of him on the television screen. She’d cheer loud when they score and cheer louder when he delivered a big hit or dropped the gloves for a five minute major fighting penalty. Daniel knew she’d gloat with pride as she watched him win a fight and brag to her friends when he scored a goal.

Bristol would keep herself busy, that’s for sure. She had gotten the job she prayed for at a dance studio in downtown Philadelphia, teaching ballet to young ballerinas. Bristol grew up dancing. She found the freedom of moving to the beat of music and the movement in graceful strides to be liberating. It was her dream to pass on her knowledge to other blossoming dancers and give them the skills she had leaned throughout her twenty years of dancing.

“I suppose.” Bristol lifted her head off his chest and began to run her fingers though his hair. It was getting longer, she decided, and soon she’d have to drag him out to get it cut. It had taken her days of bargaining and compromising to get him to shave off the poor excuse of a mustache he wore on his upper lip. If he stayed clean shaven until the playoffs, Bristol promised him he could grow the mustache—and how ever much facial hair he wanted—then. Danny saw that as a fair trade off and, as long as Bristol was happy, so was he. At least she wasn’t hounding him to cut his hair or fix his teeth.

Just for those two reasons, Daniel thought, Bristol Marie Martin was keeper. She loved his toothless smile and running her fingers through his long hair.

“At least I’ll have Chief to keep me company.”

Daniel looked at his puppy, then back at Bristol. “He’s a very good cuddler. Just don’t let him breathe in your face. His breath will knock you out.”

“I think he heard you.” Together they looked at the dog whose drooping eyes were fixated on Daniel. “You hurt his feelings.”

“Nah, he’s a tough son-of-a-bitch.”

Bristol rolled out of Daniel’s arms and planted her feet firmly on the ground. She un-buckled her belt and unzipped her jeans before shimming out of them. Tossing them aside, Bristol did the same with her shirt before slipping on one of Daniel’s oversized Van Halen tees. The hem just barely brushed her mid-thigh and Dan always enjoyed watching her walk around in one of his shirts; especially when she wore nothing underneath.

“I am exhausted.” Bristol yawned as she claimed her spot in the bed and rested her head against the soft, cool pillow.

Daniel got up, stripped down to his boxers and climbed in next to her after turning off the light. He draped an arm over Bristol and allowed her to lace her fingers with his. Daniel enjoyed the feeling of having her hand in his; they fit together perfectly. Moving her hair to the side, he found a patch of exposed skin on her neck and pressed his lips to the sweet flesh.

By the way her breathing had relaxed and how her chest rose and fell peacefully, Daniel knew she was on the verge of falling asleep. He rested his head in the curve of her shoulder and whispered just loud enough for her to hear, “Goodnight, beautiful.”