Hear Me Now

Lightening Strikes

Tattered clothes and grey wrinkled skin I turn up my nose disgusted, my house elf bowed at my feet silent as I kicked it again. My father looks up from the parchment in his hand forehead creasing, the elf scurries away.

"We'll be having a guest for dinner." Standing he barely glances in my direction. "Look presentable." He walks out of the study and I follow, him disappearing down a hallway.

I walk into the main hall peering out the window and I start to climb the stairs, grey clouds fill the sky the sun no where to be seen as heavy flakes of snow fall to the ground. At the top of the stairs I make a left following the black walled hallway to my room. My shoes making a muted thud on the floor with each step.

Closing the door to my room I look around, a dark green comforter on my bed, desk, bookshelf, rug on the hardwood floor, a simple un lived in look to the room. I sigh making my way to my closet absent minded I run my fingers along the racks wondering who had my father in such an odd mood.

Choosing a black sleeved thigh length red plaid dress, thin black tights and a pair of black maryjane's I walk back into the room laying them on my bed and start undressing. Leaving my clothes on the floor knowing an elf will remove them by time I'm done showering, I walk into the bathroom turning on the water until it runs warm then stepping in.

I finish quickly and towel off in front of the mirror, my blue eyes pale staring back at me, my blonde hair falls in tangles around my face. I try smiling at myself but the gesture looks forced and unnatural, I can't remember the last time I smiled because I was happy. I blow dry my hair and apply some makeup returning to my room I put on my clothes and brush my hair.

A soft knock comes from the door. "Enter." My voice is dead pan and an elf gingerly opens the door looking down.

"M-master, your father requests you join him in the study." Its voice quivers fearing an angry response, I don't normally treat them badly just uncaring. Unless I am in my fathers presence, I treat them cruelly hoping to please him. In vain of course, he isn't proud of me, or happy or sad. In fact I don't know practically anything about the man, not enough to know what he thinks at least.

I nod at the elf and it scurries away leaving the door open. I make my way to the study and enter to see my father standing at the window smoking a pipe. The smoke billows upwards swirling around his face. I study him standing there; black hair speckled with grey thick eyebrows over his dark brooding eyes, a black sweater with dress pants and his wedding band on his left ring finger.

I wonder about my mother and their marriage, she left when I was three along with my twin who I've never met Jamie. I wonder why she left, what shes like, if my sister has a better life then me. I bet she does, I'm sure our mother is nothing like this stranger in front of me. I bet she has dinner with Jamie every night and read her stories when she was younger, let her sleep in her bed when she had a nightmare. I wonder if she ever thinks of me, I wonder what she's think of me. I know shes part of this dark world, a follower of the dark lord like my father. Like me, at least I try to be. Try to be as cruel as I can, show my father that I'm worth something that I can make him proud I can be valuable.

I sigh heavily shaking my head, my father seems to notice me for the first time. He looks at me up and down and nods his head. "Sit down." His voice is clear and deep unfamiliar to my ears. I can count how many times we've spoken in my life on both hands. I follow to wear he gestured and sit on the chair perching myself on the edge.

"Our guest tonight is an important one," His eyes bore into mine so intensely I'm taken aback for a moment. "The dark lord himself will be dining with us. You will not speak to him, you will keep your head down and be virtually nonexistent. If he chooses to speak to you, you will be prefect." He stretches the word perfect a threat lining his features and I'm afraid of what will happen if I mess up.

I mentally calm myself, this is what I've been preparing for my whole life. Being taught from home all I've ever done is learn about the dark arts. I know all the unforgivable curses and I've used them. I'm a master at flying and apparition. I clear my thoughts and straiten myself, I am a Noir. My family has served the dark lord since the beginning and I am no different.

"I will not fail you." I make my voice steel. He nods approvingly at me and moves away. At that moment an elf appears and announcing that our guests have arrived and a chill runs through my body but I make sure not to let it show. We descend the stairs three black cloaks wait for us at the bottom of the stairs.

"My lord!" My father takes an elegant bow and I follow the gesture. Looking up I see grey skin, dark eyes that are cold, empty, filled with hate but not anything at the same time, eyes that are dead and uncaring. Eyes that are locked on mine.

"Beautiful like your mother." His voice sends more chills up my spine and I can feel my heart racing my eyes are wide as I'm trying to control my breathing.

"My lord." My voice doesn't give anything away, its calm and confidant making my father let out a small sigh of relief. I can do this. I relax a little and glance at the two faces behind the dark lord, Bellatrix is solemnly and curiously watching me while the other I don't recognize.

"Your lord?" His voice holds false humor.

"Of course my lord. The Noir's are ever loyal." My father says firmly I mentally thank him, I'm not sure I could have answered. The dark lord looks at my father his false smile widening.

"A shame your other daughter doesn't have the same opinion." Anger flashes over my fathers face.

"Cecilia's daughter. I take no claim of that child. Ember is my daughter and I assure you she does." He sniffs looking indignant. My mind races, Jamie doesn't follow him? I don't understand. How can she not? Our parents. Me...

My attention is diverted to a young elf as it steps into the room. "Dinner is served." My fathers gaze turns to it. His eyes flash with a rage seldom seen.

"Do not interrupt us!" He hisses and the elf cowers back. "M-master..." It stutters eyes wide. "Ember! Take care of that elf while I show our lord to the dinning room." He starts to walk away and I know what he wants me to do.

Everyone's eyes are on me as I take my wand from my belt the ivy wood cool in my hand, I feel the Thestral core pulse with magic. I point it at the elf who looks at me with pained eyes, I steel myself and whisper "Crucio." the elf falls to the floor screaming and I feel the color drain from my skin. After what seems like an eternity I let my wand fall to my side.

Looking back at the group I see a sadistic smile on Belatrix's face, Voldemort is smiling at me and my father turns without a word leading us into the dinning room. I follow behind them the other death eater falling in step behind me.

***

After the last plate has been removed by an elf my father clears his throat. Everyone's eyes look towards him.

"My lord, what brings you here?" The dark lord grins manically at him, taking out his wand he places it on the table in front of him tapping it as he continues.

"You've heard of Hogwarts correct?" My father and I both nod our heads. "The headmaster Albus Dumbledore has made himself a nuisance." He says the name with venom and I inwardly cringe.

"I have the Malfoy boy fixing a vanishing cabinet in the school, after its finished we will be able to have death eaters cross on to the grounds as we please bypassing the protection spells that surround the school." His grin widens as the words sink in. Death eaters, any place in large numbers is a bad thing. But I've heard of Dumbledore and I don't think after he gets wind of this is will work in the dark lords favor.

"But what about Dumbledore?" My voice remaining calm though my inner turmoil rages on. His eyes turn towards me gleaming with cruelty.

"That won't be a problem you see, because Draco is going to kill him." My eyes widen and Bellatrix let out a peal of laughter.

"You think a mere boy could kill Ablus Dumbledore?" My father scoffs, "The filthy swine deserves to die no doubt but a boy pulling it off?" disguised disbelief fills his tone and Voldemort's face darkens.

"Do not think me foolish." His voice rings with threat and my father drops his gaze to the table mumbling an apology.

"I have people in place to make sure he succeeds." I gulp and stare between the two, as Voldemort starts to speak again my father returns to looking at him.

"But I need another, I need someone to make sure that Malfoy doesn't lose his nerve. Help him with the cabinet and keep him straight."

"A bit skittish that one, eh?" Bellatrix smirks at me, I keep my eyes steady but can't bring myself to say anything.

"Ember." The dark lord calls my name and my head snaps towards him. "You will do this. You will enroll at Hogwarts and help Draco." My breath catches in my throat and my father starts nodding his head. "And the Noir's being such a crucial part in my plan will be rewarded."

"Yes, yes. She will be perfect." My father says gruffly and I can see that all he cares about is being in the dark lords favor.

"Oh I know she will." The dark lord laughs never taking his eyes off me. I feel like I can't breath, trying desperately to calm myself I clench and unclench my hands on my lap. My breathing slows and I regain myself.

"Thank you for this opportunity to prove myself." In a surge of confidence I smile at him getting one in return but our smiles are very different. I look around the table my eyes landing on my father and he's smiling at me as well. A real smile, I can't remember him ever smiling at me.

***

Dark iron gates loom above me vines overgrown intertwine the bars. I stand there, my plain black robes whipping in the wind, my mind races as I walk closer. All I can think about is the last two weeks since I had seen Voldemort. My father's nonstop lectures about failure, being locked in his study most of the time with him researching books about the cabinet, sharing information. I've never spent so much time with him. I brought it up at one point and he just smiled telling me now that I'm on my way to becoming a death eater we were going to spend a lot more time together. The idea of becoming a death eater was terrifying but I actually felt like I had a father.

I cursed myself softly, I know that I'm weak when it comes to him, I've just always vied for his attention, always wanted his love and approval. It makes me sick to think how I act around him. I am a strong person, I don't let anyone push me around. If you hurt me I can guarantee I'll destroy you and everything you love. I may feel bad about it but I am a Noir, a pure blood elite and I will not be weak.

Noticing my slumped posture and self pity aura around me I straighten myself, my chin high and a confident strut. Walking past students as they turn their heads to watch me, I stride up to the goblin with the book at the gate.

"Name?" His tone board, "Ember Noir." My voice rings with authority and he glances up surprised then just nods his head. "Go on then." He dismisses me and I start towards the castle. Right as I approach I hear chatter and yelling the sound of kids and teens walking to the castle.

"Oh Jamie thank god I though I lost you for good back there, a bit hectic getting off the train." A girl about average height with long brown hair grabs my arm. "Ginny was getting worried."

I pull my arm away from her and she looks at me shocked. "My name isn't Jamie and keep your hands off of me." She just keeps staring at me like I've got a third head.

"Hermione I found her!" A girls voice calls out behind me and I turn to see a tall, lanky red head girl followed by two more red headed boys and a dark haired boy with glasses. Then a girl steps into view and my breathing catches.

She is 5'5 with brown shoulder length hair, wide pale blue eyes, and her face... My face stares at me with shock. "Wow..." One of the red headed boys looks back and forth between us as we continue to stare. I knew who she was the moment I saw her, an unfamiliar feeling courses through me.

"Jamie." I whisper and she nods ever so slightly.

"Ember." She whispers back, and then she steps towards me throwing her arms around my neck. I make an umf sound as her weight hits me and she starts laughing, soon I join in.

"I can't believe this!" She says pulling away but our hands stay connected.

"I know..." I breath, this is not what I expected. I can't believe shes standing in front of me, my sister. "How?" I ask and she just shrugs still smiling at me. "I don't know." Giggling she squeezes my hands. Someone clears their throat behind us. "Oh!" She says turning towards the group.

"Guys, this is my twin Ember. We've, well we've never met before." They react to that, especially the tall red head young man he makes comments about how someone could split up twins and Jamie's laughs. She seems so carefree and happy a small spark of jealousy ripple through me as I remember why I'm here but it's gone as quick as it came.

"Why don't you walk with us Ember?" She suggests slipping her arm though mine. "Sure." I nod, I just can't believe the luck.

"Are you new?" She asks and I nod again, "You?"

"Yeah, Cecilia and I just moved here." She says her nose scrunching up, I look at her questioningly at her using our mothers first name and she whispers, "I'll tell you later." I shake my head vowing to make her keep her word.

"So then you'll be sorted with me tonight?" Its her turn to nod, we both look ahead as the castle comes into full view. "Wow." She mumbles and I agree, its huge dark stone walls tower high into the sky fading against the black night sky.

"Well ready to start an adventure?" The red head man ask and Jamie smiles up at him nodding her head.

"Yeah." They start walking and I follow them down the path and to Hogwarts.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're back baby!

Re-writing my personal favorite story Dev and I have done. I hope you guys still like it.

Let me know!