Hear Me Now

Around the World

Sitting on the edge of my bed I stared at the empty cage on my trunk. Hadrian was in the school’s owlery, a better place for him then a dungeon. In the five minutes since I had entered the room Darla and Becca had watched my every move as I shuffled my trunk from the bed and sat. Beady eyes still staring, I cleared my throat standing as the door flew open.

“You bloody Noir’s; all think you are better than everyone else. If your sister thinks she can steal my boyfriend, she will pay for it” raising my brow at the outburst I watched through wide eyes as she smirked at my silence and moved closer, “and if you think,”

“If you are going threaten someone Pansy, you might want to have something to back it up” straightening, I looked her square in the eye. “You don’t know anything about me or my sister and if you aren’t careful you are going to find out very quickly what I am capable of. I don’t make threats, I make promises and I keep those.” Reaching into my open trunk I pulled out some shorts and a tank before giving her a smile and heading for the bathroom. “You better watch yourself, the three of you” nodding my head to the side I smirked shutting the door behind me.

Leaning against the door, I stared at my reflection. It seems the part of my life where I pretended to be nothing but the good girl, the wallflower was officially over. Here it seemed, I was going to have embrace my darkness just a little bit and hopefully I wouldn’t lose myself along the way.

Shaking my head at the thought, I changed quickly brushed my teeth and returned to the room.

Moving towards my bed, I smirked at the girls before pulling back the covers and grabbing a band for my hair. Dropping on the bed, I picked my feet up and tucked them under the dark green covers pulling the one side of my curtains closed and glanced at the door as it opened again.

My smirk quickly dropped to a smile for my sister as she moved into the room her blue eyes darting around the room before resting on me with a small smile. For her I could keep up the mask; she didn’t need to know who I really was, what I had done just to survive. I could lie to her to have the opportunity to get to know her.

Reaching for the last piece of my curtain, I yanked it closed and fell back on the pillows staring at the roof of my canopy. I dreaded falling asleep and hoped maybe now that I was at school, my dreams would cease and I could forget about the man who was the brother of my new friends so that I could finally get a good night’s sleep.

**

Shaking I stood before the mirror trying to do up the tie that was a mandatory part of our uniforms. Growling, I sighed and reached for my wand flicking it till the stupid thing lay where it should. I was going to have to be careful with my magic; at home completely alone, I didn’t care if I used my wand or not but in public I had to be sure no one found out about my special little abilities. It was a good thing I liked my wand and enjoyed the envy in others eyes when they realized what core I had.

10 ¾ inches Black Alder with a core of Dragon Heartstring, it was a strong wand and had served me well my whole life. It really was beautiful, having come from the center of the tree you could see slight rings all around marking what would be the trees age.

Running my index down the length, I glanced at my watch and shrugged at least at this hour I could get a good breakfast in before having to find my classes.

Exiting the bathroom, I snagged my book bag from my bed before heading through the hall to the main room of the dormitory. I did like the colors and the furniture fit well with the snakes carved in the fireplace but it could use more light. Shaking my head, I pushed through the secret entrance and started up from the dungeons hoping my new friends wouldn’t care like I did about house rivalries.

Stepping into the brightly lit main corridor of the school I looked to the front door thinking maybe here I could find a peacefully place for a smoke before I glanced at the disappointed sighs and exclamations coming from the Great Hall entrance.

“Really, you don’t think I look good in green?” pouting, I gave up on a laugh moving towards the group. “It doesn’t mean anything to me, a house is a house and I’ve never been much for colors, but red and green go very well together,” crooking my elbow, I offered it to the ladies not sure if one or any would take it.

Slipping her arm through mine, Ginny smiled. “You have a point, we make a very Christmassy set,” nodding my head, I smiled back as Hermione grabbing my other arm laughing.

“You are going to, how you Canadians put it – take some heat for this but I agree.” Brushing back a stray curl, they pulled me towards the Gryffindor table.

“I believe that is more of an American slang but who knows, besides I like heat” sitting between the two as Ron and Harry sat opposite, I ignored the stares from the three other tables most Slytherins having not yet shown up and reached for some toast. “Oh strawberry jam,” grabbing a pack I smiled sticking my tongue at Ron who was staring around clearly worried about having me sit with them. “I can leave if you’d like Ron, but I would like to stay – those Slytherins are not very welcoming, aside from my sister that is and well you met her” rolling my eyes, I glanced at the entrance just as Ember entered looking around the room for what I hoped was me. Smiling, I put the toast in my mouth and used my now free right hand to offer a small wave before returning my attention to my friends laughing at my statement.

“It’s not them I am worried about,” rolling my eyes at the ginger male, I smiled offering my toast which was denied but I did get a smile, the mood lightening substantially around us.

Soon after breakfast and accepting my schedule from the sullen Professor Snape who had approached the Gryffindor table cautiously, I was off to Charms with Hermione, Harry and Ron who it seemed had every class together and most with me. There would only be one class I would be alone for and that was Advanced Herbology and given how smart I gathered Hermione was, I was surprised she wasn’t in the class but she explained it was only because she preferred Transfiguration.

Surprisingly enough though, once I reached the class after lunch I found a small group mostly Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs but there were a few Gryffindors as well. As for Slytherins, it was just me and two others – Becca sat quietly in the corner her eyes on a plant as Ember perched beside her watching me through hooded eyes. I hadn’t expected there to be anymore Slytherins in the class and wasn’t sure I was pleased about that.

“Great another one,” turning my eyes to the petite dirty blonde female, I raised a brow in question as she stammered. “I only meant – I”

Smiling, I shrugged. I knew what she meant there was no need to explain. Offering my hand, I waited to see if she would shake it. “I’m Jamie and you are?” She made no move to shake my hand, no surprise really and her friends looked uncomfortable. Moving to drop my hand, I jumped when a tall, lanky dark haired male grabbed it. He didn’t shake it just smiled and glanced around quickly.

“Neville, I’m a friend Ginny’s mostly” chuckling to himself he released my hand and moved to a seat, pulling the one out beside him. “Why don’t you sit with me Jamie and maybe I can help catch you,” smile widening, I took the seat quickly before anyone could say anything thanking him quietly as I pulled out my texts for the Advanced class. “Luna should be along soon too. She’s usually late,” shaking his head a little; he glanced up as the Professor entered the room.

My next few days were full of teachers clearly surprised to see me, a Noir and Slytherin sitting with Gryffindor’s and the few students from the other houses who had come to realize I wasn’t the typical slime that inhabited my house.

Sadly, they weren’t the only ones and the others who had taken great notice of it had plenty to say especially Pansy Parkinson.

Passing her in the hall, I ignored the snide blood traitor she threw at my back, her entourage trailing behind her snickers following the comment. Smiling at the concerned look Hermione was giving me as we headed towards the library, I shrugged. Really, the comments and quiet threats didn’t bother me but it bothered them and my sister especially, who I had to stop from killing Pansy every other day but the past couple weeks had been relatively pleasant. I was receiving owls from Fred who was constantly telling me all about him and his brother’s latest invention, usually ending in some kind of explosion and had even received a letter from my mother – who no surprises was greatly disappointed I hadn’t chosen to use the move to change my personality.

Today had been different though; sitting at my usual place at the Gryffindor table joking with my friends Hadrian had arrived with the other owls. I had reached up allowing him to perch on my hand and spoke quietly to him as I had reached for a piece of toast to offer him. Once he was satisfied with my offerings and Ginny, who was fascinated by his behavior swatted at her small little pygmy of an owl, was watching him, I shifted him to my shoulder removing the small bundle of letters he had dropped in my lap.

Flicking through them, I looked at the writing on the front and stopped at one that was different but similar to another’s. Dropping the others, I ripped it open smiling at the clear frustrations of the author. Word for word, I read through the letter snickering at the awkward jokes that would have been better in person. A few lines had me rubbing my cheeks trying to cover up the heat coloring them and evidently I failed miserably.

“Good letter Jamie,” giggling as I glanced up through my lashes at her Ginny, reached for the discarded envelope and smirked. “Oh - a secret admirer.” Sounding unimpressed, I gathered she recognized the writing and asked her quickly as I reached over to take the envelope back, if she could share as the letter was unsigned.

“Jamie, you shouldn’t read things that aren’t signed! They could be from bad people,” shrieking Hermione stopped short as Ginny burst into laughter.

“Bad people – only thing this one is guilty of is hitting on someone he doesn’t know” shaking her head she stood up grabbing her bag and leaning over to kiss Harry goodbye. “I’ll see you lot at lunch,” waving and still snorting with laughter, she left the hall.

Standing up, I shooed Hadrian away giving him one final piece of toast and grabbed my own things. “I am going to head to class, see you there” following the same path as my friend I had moved quickly to class.

Now sitting across from Hermione going over each other’s Ancient Runes homework before class, I found myself thinking on that letter. There was really only one person I could think of who would have caused Ginny to speak as she had and it was her other brother, Fred’s twin who I hadn't to met but I knew was the man I had been dreaming of.

How was I supposed to respond to his letter. I mean I could just ignore it, pretend I had never received it even though my soul heaved at the idea. Would it be weird to write someone I didn’t know?

“Jamie?” jumping as Hermione stopped waving her hand in front of my face, I realized I had dropped her parchment and moved to pick it up shaking my head as I did so. “If something feels right, it usually is” taking the work back from me she stood waving at another friend. “I’ll see you in class,” wandering over to the other side of the library she left me with my thoughts and before I lost all nerve, I pulled out a fresh piece of parchment and started writing.

Maybe I shouldn’t but she was right, it felt like the right thing to do so why not.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I even checked class to make sure I had her schedule right and I am pretty sure I have everything where it needs to be (Jamie is in all the classes I would want).

I didn't write it but Jamie would have had to take OWLS to see what classes she was allowed to take and she got all O's. She is taking: Transfiguration, DADA, Advanced Potions, Alchemy(NEWT level only), Advanced Herbology, Ancient Runes and Astronomy.

Please if you feel perhaps I have not accurately chosen the classes let me know =D

I am Canadian so I did pick a tree that grows in Canada for the wood of Jamie's wand.

Thanks for reading,
~Dev

P.S.
Yes I know, Jamie didn't sit with her sister in Herbology. I had my reasons!