Status: Active

Others Have Excuses, but I Have My Reasons Why

First Day

Zacky left yesterday and today I start working at my new job. The only downside to this job is the fact that the shifts for me are twelve hours long. I’ll be working four days straight off one then work another three days straight and then off for four days; I’m hoping with this schedule I’ll be able to see Zacky enough to where the long distance relationship doesn’t come back to bite us in the ass.

My alarm went off at ten and it’s not eleven. I rinse out my bowl that I had cereal in and quickly hop in the shower. When I’m done with my shower I blow dry my hair and throw it up before packing my bag for work and slipping into a pair of scrubs. Once I’m ready it’s now 11:30 and I make my way outside and walk the two blocks to my job arriving at the hospital at 11:47.

I walk inside and head towards the emergency room and begin my hunt for a woman named Genie that is the head nurse that I’ll be relieving. “Excuse me are you Genie?” I ask a woman around my height and about twelve years older going off of the description that she gave me.

“Yes I am; you must be Christina,” she says with a thick Chicago accent.

“Yes ma’am I am,” I say extending my hand for her to shake.

“Nice to meet you dear. Right now we’re going to go over your basic job duties. You and I will work out the nursing staff’s work schedule as well as overseeing the entire department. That means when things need to be ordered that we are the one’s using and not the surgical or doctor staff you will have to reorder them. I know it seems like a lot but once you get into the groove of things it becomes much easier,” she says picking up on the horrified look on my face.

“If you say so,” I say with a very weak smile.

“Come right this way,” she says leading me to a back room to go over a few things.

Eleven hours later I nearly pour myself into a cab after clocking out. During my first day I had two girls come to me and bitch about how much time they’re getting, two trauma patients, and two gunshot victims. I’m starting to think this job may not be as great as I thought it would be; however, at least I’m not dealing with screaming babies for eight hours straight. As I’m walking into my new apartment my phone starts to go off and I answer it without looking to see how it is, “Hello?”

“Hey, how was work?” Zacky asks as I sling my bag onto my kitchen counter.

“It was a little ruff. I don’t think I realized how much work this job would entail,” I answer honestly as I throw myself onto my couch.

“Well, you’re head nurse you should have no it was gonna be kind of hard,” Zacky says with a slight laugh.

“Yeah I suppose. When I get my four days off I’m going to come back to see you if that’s OK,” I say with a slight smile.

“Are you seriously asking me?” Zacky asks sounding kind of funny.

“Kind of but I know I’m coming back despite what you say,” I say with a quick smile.

“There’s that witty humor,” Zacky says with a slight chuckle.

“Yeah, yeah; babe I’m going to have to hop off of here because I’m beyond exhausted and I get to do this all over again tomorrow. I love you and I’ll call you sometime tomorrow or something,” I say while yawning.

“OK; love you too. Bye,” he says before quickly hanging up the phone.

I tightly close my eyes due to the physical and emotional exhaustion today has brought me before pulling myself up off of the couch. I wonder into my bathroom where I take a fast shower before slipping into some pjs and climbing into my bed passing out about as soon as my head hits the pillow.
♠ ♠ ♠
work get up
pjs