Status: Active

Others Have Excuses, but I Have My Reasons Why

What Position?

I wake up with a slightly large feeling head and grumble when I fully understand that my phone going off is the reason I’m awake. “Hello?” I groggily ask answering noticing I don’t recognize the number.

“Is this Miss Santiago?” I hear an overly cheerful woman’s voice ask.

“Yes ma’am it is,” I say sitting up on the side of my bed.

“Hello, this is Mary Vickerson, I spoke with you the other day,” she says making sure I understand.

“Yes ma’am how are you?” I ask trying to be courteous and sound like I actually care.

“I’m fine thank you. I was just calling to inform you that you can have the open position we have in our neonatal unit if you wish; the position in the ER has already been filled,” she explains knowing I would ask.

“I would love to have the job,” I say even though I’m completely lying through my teeth; after all who wants to take care of super sick babies as a job.

"I’m glad you’ve accepted the position. Is there any way you could shadow someone today during the three to eleven shift?” she asks as I hear her typing away at a keyboard.

I quickly glance over at my clock to see it’s now 11:30. “Yes ma’am I can do that,” I answer after figuring out that it’ll only take me an hour to take a shower and get to the hospital so I have more than enough time.

“OK dear just show up at three and meet me in my office and I’ll show you who you’ll be shadowing,” Mrs. Vickerson says.

“OK, see you then, bye,” I say cracking my back.

“Yes, bye,” she says before hanging up.

“What the fuck have I gotten myself into?” I whine as I catapult myself out of bed and down to the kitchen where I make vegan pancakes from scratch then proceeded to eat them while watching Invader Zim. Once I was done eating I decide it’s time to shower since it’s now 1:30 so I go upstairs and go through my normal shower routine and blow dry my hair before grabbing a hair tie and placing it around my wrist. I walk into my room and stare into the section of my closet that harbors my scrubs for a few minutes before picking up my Mickey and Minnie scrubs and quickly throwing them on. My next task is to hunt down my shoes which took me about ten minutes after finding them I slip them on and grab my purse before running downstairs where I throw a sandwich into my bag before walking out to my car and heading to the hospital.

“Hello Christina,” Mrs. Vickerson greets me from her office quickly standing up.

“Hi,” I say smiling smoothing down my hair as I place my sunglasses in my purse.

“Just follow me dear and you’ll begin your shift; oh and they’re normally twelve hour shifts everywhere else in the hospital but not in this ward,” she says quickly walking away as I nearly jog to keep up with her.

Eight hours later I look down at my phone after nearly collapsing into my car and see that Megan had called me three times along with another number three times while I was at work. I quickly light up a cig and decide to start with Megan before finding her number in my missed calls and hitting the send button. “What’s up?” I ask once she had picked up her phone.

“I wanna hang out. Why didn’t you answer your phone? I even called you off of Brian’s,” she says the quizzical look on her face evident in her voice.

“I got a job, not the ER but in a neonatal unit but it’s better than nothing I guess. If you still want to hang out that’s cool but I need to go take a shower,” I say rubbing my face.

“OK, see you in a bit. Bye,” she says quickly hanging up.

I laugh to myself as I turn my key letting my baby purr to life before running home. Once home I run upstairs and take a quick shower before throwing my hair up in a clip and getting dressed in a tank top with a pair of yoga pants and my flip flops before heading over to Megan and Brian’s where I see two other cars. “Hey I’m here,” I yell throughout the house once I walk in the front door.

“Marco!” I hear Brian yell and follow the direction his voice came from to see Johnny, Matt and Zacky are also here.

“You look like shit Chris,” Matt says laughing.

“That’s because I spent the past eight hours in the neonatal unit and damn near lost a baby that was only a couple of hours old,” I say sitting down beside Johnny before resting my head on his shoulder.

“Hey hoe! Movie time? I’ve got one of our favs,” Megan says waving around a movie case so that the name is hidden from me.

“That being?” I ask sitting up trying to figure it out before Megan chucks the case at me as she goes to put the movie in. “Sleepaway Camp; I approve,” I say laughing before the movie begins.

Before the end of the night we had also watch Children of the Corn (much to my dismay) along with Edward Scissorhands and Dogma. “Well, I’m going to leave because if not I’ll be spending the night on your couch,” I say as I get up and stretch as the credits of Dogma are scrolling on the screen.

“OK I guess I can let you go. Do you have to work tomorrow?” Megan asks yawning.

“Yep and Wednesday but I’m free on Thursday,” I say as I catch her yawn.

“OK well, Imma steal you on Thursday then,” Megan says smiling.

“Alright; see ya,” I wave to hear some form of bye from everyone before heading back to my place where I barely make it to the bed before I pass out.