‹ Prequel: Sink Into Me
Status: Active

Carpe Diem

Thirty Eight.

I spent the next couple of hours of what was meant to be my most sacred day off of the tour so far cooped up on the top floor of the Hit The Lights bus, in my bunk, to be exact. I really wasn’t feeling up to being social, no matter how much I didn’t want to give Adam, John, or anyone else the satisfaction to think that they’d driven me to it, no matter how much that factor actually did contribute to it. So, in order to keep myself distracted I began working on basic song ideas, hoping to push myself into a more upbeat mood before I’d have to go and pry Kade away from Garrett, not to mention greeting Kennedy, Jared and Pat for the first time on the tour, something I was torn between feeling excited, yet cautious about.

“Knock, knock!” Eric shouted obnoxiously, pulling my bunk curtain back carelessly before literally tossing himself into it, half landing on me as he did so.

“Shit, Eric!” I mumbled as I pushed him off me roughly, stabbing him with the pen that was still locked in my hand before sliding my book and pen under my pillow where I knew they were out of his reach and eager eyes.

He shot me a glare as he rubbed the spot on his arm where I stabbed him before taking in a deep breath and shooting me a concerned look.

“I’m fine.” I confirmed as I sat up a little straighter, placing my hands in my lap.

“Taylor-”

“Eric-”

“Don’t start cutting me up, bitch,” He warned, “Listen, you know Nick’s like my brother, but I personally think he overreacted.”

“I’m glad I’m not the only one,” I began before my simple response turned into a spiralled rant, “I mean, who does he think he is going off like that? It doesn’t matter who Kade’s father is, John or not, he’s never been in the picture anyway, but to react like that was overdramatic, I mean, I can understand that he’d be shocked, but-” I was cut off as Halvo placed his hand over my mouth before rolling his eyes.

“You done?” He questioned as I pushed his hand off my mouth.

“I guess so.” I glared as he chuckled softly before manoeuvring beside me and placing his arm across my shoulders.

“Just give him time, he feels stupid for reacting-”

“So he should-”

“Don’t you ever give it a rest?!” Halvo spat playfully.

I winked in response before resting my head on his shoulder for a moment, sighing deeply as I did so.

“Come on!” He exclaimed, removing his arm from around me quickly and literally diving out of my bunk head first.

“Come on what?” I laughed as I climbed out after him, “Eric, do you have ADHD?”

He narrowed his eyes at me, taking hold of my wrist tightly before dragging me across the bunk area and down the spiral staircase as quickly as his long legs would take him, my short legs on the other hand, were feeling the brunt of not being able to keep up.

“Slow the fuck down!” I screeched as Halvo paid no attention to me as we made our way past Colin, Omar, Hayden, Nate, David and Nick, who all shot me the same sceptical glance.

“I don’t even know.” I responded quickly before I was pulled towards the front of the bus and down the few steps roughly as Halvo began to pick up the pace.

A lump rose in my throat as I saw, what sure was to be our destination, in sight. The worst part was, that even if I wanted to back out, my small frame had nothing on his and I knew I wouldn’t physically be able to. I just wish he’d have let me have a minute just to get things into the right perspective, but no, it was Halvo’s way or no way at all, and for that moment, I would rather the latter.

I took in a deep breath quickly as Eric practically dragged me up the steps of The Maine’s bus, announcing himself as he did so, I might add.

“Eric, have you tried not shouting for once in your life?” I laughed as we reached the top step, just as my heartbeat began to increase, my eyes first locked on the inside of the bus as I carefully avoided everyone’s eyes for a moment to compose myself, but as I took in the sight I noticed one thing - considering I thought our bus was great, ours had nothing on The Maine’s, that’s for sure.

“Holy shit.” I muttered as my eyes flickered around the bottom level of their bus in disbelief.

“How cute!” Eric exclaimed, pulling me out of my thoughts abruptly as my eyes locked onto the four boys huddled around Kade who began to giggle hysterically at something Kennedy had just said, who grinned in response before ruffling Kade’s hair adoringly, not paying any attention to Eric and I, just like the other three.

“I hope you’re not teaching my son “that’s what she said,” jokes, Brock.” I joked as Kennedy’s attention turned snapped towards Eric and I as he grinned before standing up and running over to me, throwing his body into mine in the process, almost knocking us over before wrapping his arms around me tightly.

“Well, I feel loved.” Halvo scoffed.

I smiled as I gripped onto Kennedy just as tight before Jared, Pat, and Garrett decided they wanted in too before repeating Kennedy’s prior actions by running over and throwing their bodies into the two of ours, knocking us back into the wall.

“You’re killing me you guys.” I chuckled as I fought my way out of Kennedy’s arms and made my bid for freedom before turning to the four boys who’s arms had woven their way around me once more in a quick group hug before dispersing and taking a step back.

“I’ve missed you!” Garrett exclaimed dramatically.

I rolled my eyes playfully, “You only saw me a couple of hours ago, Gare.”

He shrugged off my response before quickly running back over to Kade who was now positioned in Eric’s lap.

“I have missed you guys, though.” I confessed as Pat, Kennedy and Jared all shot me smiles in unison.

“We’ve missed you too, Tay.” Jared piped up, with Kennedy and Pat nodding in agreement.

I smiled before I tore my eyes away from the boys in front of me, raising an eyebrow in realisation at something I’d been too distracted to notice before.

“Where’s-”

“John? I think he’s with A Rocket To The Moon, besides Eric of course.” Kennedy said as I shot Eric a glare, who grinned sheepishly at me in response.

“I don’t think he wanted to be here right now.” Pat sighed, giving me an all-knowing look.

“Three guesses why.” I mumbled, “We’ll catch up properly tomorrow guys, that’s when the real fun begins.” I laughed before making my way over to Kade and picking him up, earning a protest from Halvo as I rolled my eyes playfully. Don’t get me wrong, I’d spend all night with Garrett, Pat, Kennedy and Jared if I could’ve, but the fact that John could suddenly barge onto the bus made me feel highly uncomfortable, let alone the fact that he was Nick at that moment time, and even though I wouldn’t do anything about it, it made me feel even worse.

Garrett shot me a sympathetic smile as he pulled me into a one-armed hug, followed by Jared, Eric, Kennedy and Pat who mimicked his actions.

“Bye guys.” I smiled the best smile that I could muster in that moment in time before waving half-heartedly and making my way down the stairs quickly.

I breathed a sigh of relief only a moment too soon before I noticed the tall frame walking swiftly towards me as he removed his black ray bans from his face and placed them on his head, shooting me half a smile as he did so. I scoffed as I began to walk away, I didn’t get far, I didn’t expect to, but I had to make a point.

“What do you want now, O’Callaghan? Haven’t you done enough for one day?” I spat as I held onto Kade a little tighter.

“Look, it’s not my fault you didn’t tell your little boyfriend, about, well, you know.” He said as he looked everywhere but at Kade.

“Our son.” I glared in disgust as I glanced at Kade who’s eyes were locked on John.

“Yeah, that.”

I took in a deep breath as I tried to remain calm and refrain from slapping John across the face there and then, and I’m pretty sure the fact that I didn’t want to do it in front of Kade was the only thing that stopped me from doing so. I decided to be the bigger person, and not uttering a single word in response to what he’d said, I began to walk away once more.

“I just have one question.” He said, stopping me in my tracks once more.

“Get it over with so I can get away from you quicker.” I said as Kade nuzzled his head in the crook of my neck.

“How did you manage to get on a tour like this?” He said in disbelief, “I mean, what are you? A Merch girl or what?”

I bit the inside of my cheek, taking in his careless tone as I prepared to lace my response with the same amount of carelessness, but then it hit me.

“I’m just here with Hit The Lights, there’s nothing special as to why I‘m here.” I lied convincingly, shrugging to prove a point as a smirk spread across his lips.

“I thought not.” He responded smugly as I felt my blood begin to boil.

“If that’s it…” I trailed off, narrowing my eyes at him as he nodded before waving a hand as if to dismiss me, raising my blood pressure even higher.

“See you around, Taylor.” He called after me.

I ignored him as a smirk of my own began to play across my own features. I made my way across the grass and up the few steps of the Hit The Light’s bus quickly, feeling my mood uplift. I felt confident enough that Eric wouldn’t mention the fact that I’m in a band as I had a gut feeling I wouldn’t be a conversation topic on that bus, so I felt like my not-so-secret was safe until the show the next day, and John O’ Callaghan wouldn’t know what’d hit him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Xo.