Killjoy Initial Post-Capture Interview

BETTER LIVING INDUSTRIES POST-CAPTURE INTERVIEW

The subject shows no sign of fear but seems impolite and too relaxed. She is likely a very sexual being. She is likely very patient and thoughtful.

The subject proceeds to acquire a cigarette and a box of matches. She rests her boots on the metal interrogation table and leans back in her chair. The subject inhales deeply and tilts her head to exhale the smoke directly upwards. She sits for a moment studying the cigarette between her fingers and quickly flicks the ashes off its end. Her eyes flick to me. She chuckles. The subject seems to study me now and moves her eyes from mine to my knees and back. She is no longer smiling and her gaze darts now past my knees.

SUBJECT: "What number did they give me again?"

The smoke slowly rises as she moves only her lips to begin the interview, reversing our roles as interviewer and interviewee.

BLI: "Better Living Industries regards you as a distraction from the idealistic lifestyle of monochromatism and issues you the number 6655321."

Her eyes don't move but she smirks. Not at my answer to her question, but more than likely the analyzing she does to it.

SUBJECT: "So I'm a clockwork orange?"

This question sounds more like a conclusion. The subject raises her eyebrows, almost conveying surprise, and brings the cigarette back to her lips to take a drag. After holding in the smoke she sighs it out. Her eyes return to look at me.

SUBJECT: "I'm 'a distraction from a monochromatic lifestyle.' My free will hinders the ability to lead a life oh so idealistic as it always has and therefore connotes, negatively somehow, my colorful, emotional lifestyle that you tried to change. I am... a clockwork orange."

The subject leans farther back in the chair and takes a drag from her cigarette.

BLI: "This 'image' you have created, alongside many others like yourself, is defined as a threat to a perfect society and can be treated therap-"

SUBJECT: "Who did? You?"

The subject points to me with two fingers, those holding her cigarette, looking at my eyes while she interrupts.

BLI: "Better Living Industries is in the process of freeing this world of -"

SUBJECT: "What did you want to be?"

I am silently scrutinized in the asking of this question by the subject, who doesn't look away from me when she inhales more from her cigarette.

BLI: "Better Living Industries has -"

SUBJECT: "No, no, no. You already know I don't give two shits about the BL/ind. What did you want to be?"

She leans back again, dropping the cigarette onto the floor and pressing her foot on top of it. She takes out another and places it between her lips. She retrieves the matches.

SUBJECT: (muffled) "Before the fires."

The cigarette is lit.

BLI: "With the help of Better Living Industries I became a hard-working, fine person of substance that offers just as much as any other Battery City civilian."

SUBJECT: "Okay, so mediocrity is your forte."

BLI: "Every person influenced by the genius of Better Living Industries -"

The subject has leaned forward on the table.

SUBJECT: "You're no longer special."

BLI: "Civilians of Battery City -"

SUBJECT: "I bet you were a painter. I bet you were the best of the best, like a modern-day Michaelangelo. I bet you could have studied in France if you got the chance. I bet you already have. I can see it on your face. You're suppressing it with your eyes."

Her gaze is fixed.

SUBJECT: "Wait, you weren't a painter. Not you."

She examines me closely.

SUBJECT: "I bet you were a botanist. I bet you discovered four new rare species of flowers. I bet you studied in South America when the jungles and rain forests were still perfectly untouched by freak fire. And you were adored by the people who were untouched by freak laws."

BLI: "Better Living Industries sought to rid foreign countries of the threat to a more mono -"

SUBJECT: "You were a doctor."

BLI: "6655321, if you -"

SUBJECT: "Singer."

BLI: "The S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/S will -"

SUBJECT: "Glass blower."

BLI: "I will be forced -"

SUBJECT: "You were a writer, Jenny."

A smirk grows across her face.

[END TRANSMISSION]