We're Not So Different After All

Chapter Two

Second year was getting closer by the day. My parents already made plans with the Malfoy’s to go to Diagon Alley together, little did they know I planned on meeting up with Celina once we got there.

Something I couldn’t put together, no matter how many times I tried kept puzzling me. Draco wouldn’t talk to me during school, but as soon as it was summer vacation it was like nothing had changed, like he hadn’t ignored me the whole school year. Was it as simple as he was embarrassed by me? Or was there more to it?

As much as it wasn’t like me, I practiced spells I’d learned the previous year. I also worked on ones I already knew. Nothing beat the feeling of finally getting a spell down.

“Renae are you ready to leave?” My mother asked, entering my room.

“Yeah,” I responded.

“Well come along then,” She turned away.

I grabbed my list of items I would be needing this year, shoved it into my pocket and went down stairs after her. I assumed my father had already left because he wasn’t anywhere in sight. My mother motioned for me to come closer and grabbed my arm. I knew what coming, apparating, and I absolutely hated apparating. It made me feel nauseas every time.

We arrived in Diagon Alley, which was busier than usual with school being as close as it was. I took a good look at my supplies list and there were eight books I’d need, so I took off for Flourish and Blotts.

There was a ridiculously long line, and then I remembered Gilderoy Lockhart who was a famous wizard was doing a book signing. I squeezed my way through people and headed upstairs, trying to avoid all the crazy fans.

“I was beginning to wonder when you would show up.”

I turned to see Draco leaning against a bookshelf, “I was debating whether I wanted to see you or not.” I joked.

“Well clearly you made the right choice.” He smirked.

“Have you seen Celina anywhere?” I asked.

He sighed, if it wasn’t for me being friends with her I know he’d think little of her, just as he did about everyone outside of the Slytherin house, “She’s here with Weasley and Potter. You missed it, Gilderoy made him take a picture. Gave him all his books for free too.” He scowled.

I went downstairs, Draco followed closely beside me and I saw them all about to leave, “Celina!” I yelled.

She turned her head sharply and smiled. I ran up to her and embraced her into a long awaited hug. Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood close behind her, “Renae! I was hoping I’d see you.”

“I was starting to think we wouldn’t see each other today.” I smiled.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione smiled at me, but didn’t say anything when they realized Draco was standing beside me. Harry and Draco had this rivalry no one really understood.

“I’ll bet you loved that, didn’t you, Potter. Famous Harry Potter. Can’t even go into a bookshop without making the front page.” Draco hissed.

A younger ginger haired girl stepped forward, “Leave him alone.”

“Look, Potter. You’ve got yourself a girlfriend.” Draco laughed. I assumed the girl to be Ron’s younger sister.

“Now, now, Draco, play nicely.” His father surprised the both of us, tapping Draco on the shoulder with his walking stick, “Mr. Potter. Lucius Malfoy. We meet at last. Forgive me,” he moved some of Harry’s bangs to the side, “your scar is legend. As, of course, is the wizard who gave it to you.”

“Voldemort killed my parents. He was nothing more than a murderer.” Harry said coldly.

“You must be very brave to mention his name, or very foolish.” Lucius said.

“Fear of the name only increases the fear of the thing itself.” Hermione spoke out bitterly.

Lucius took a good look at Hermione, “You must be Miss Granger. Yes, Draco has told me all about you, and your parents. Muggles aren’t they?” Lucius stopped to look at Ron, his sister, and his brothers who gathered behind them, “Let me see. Red hair, vacant expressions… tatty, secondhand book. You must be the Weasleys.”

A tall man who resembled Ron walked up from behind them, “Children it’s mad in here. Let’s go outside.”

“Well, well, well. Weasley senior.” Lucius said.

“Lucius.” He replied.

“Busy time at the Ministry, Arthur, all those extra raids? I do hope they’re paying you overtime… but judging by the state of this, I’d say not.

What’s the use in being a disgrace to the name of wizard… if they don’t even pay you for it?” Lucius stared coldly.

“We have a very different idea about what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy.” Mr. Weasley replied calmly.

“Clearly,” Lucius paused, “associating with Muggles. And I thought your family could sink no lower…. I’ll see you at work.” With that Lucius gestured toward Draco and me to follow him.

I imagined Ron’s family was judging me as badly as they were most likely judging Lucius right now. I hated to just leave after that, but I hadn’t a choice, “Save me a seat on the train.” I whispered to Celina.

I climbed onto the Hogwarts Express to begin my second year. I found Celina sitting alone in a compartment after a couple minutes of searching for her. I walked into the compartment, “Hey.” I smiled.

“Oh, hi Renae.” She smiled back.

We had a little while before it was time to leave, “So what was up with Draco’s dad the other day?” Celina questioned.

“Didn’t you wonder where Draco gets it from?” I laughed, “He’s always been like that, as long as I’ve known him.”

“I hope his mum isn’t the same way.” She sighed.

“No, not at all actually. She’s a quiet woman, but she’s not at all rude.”

“Why couldn’t Draco be more like her then?” Celina laughed.

The engine of the train started and a knock on our compartment startled Celina and I. There was a boy standing there, who I recognized from classes last year, “Erm, can I-I sit with you? A-all the others are f-full.” He stuttered.

“Course you can Neville.” Celina smiled.

His face blushed red as he took a seat next to me. Celina coughed and stared at me, as if suggesting I introduce myself, “I’m Renae Quinn; I think we’ve had a few classes together.” I said.

“I-I’m Neville L-longbottom. I think I r-remember you, what house are you in?” He asked.

“Slytherin,” I said.

He looked a little drawn back, a bit scared actually, “Neville what’s wrong?” Celina wondered.

“A-all the Sly-slytherins I know aren’t v-very nice.” He looked down.

I was used to getting this from people, “I’m not like the others.” I spoke calmly.

It was just like the first time Celina introduced me to her new friends: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione granger all over again. They too noticed that most of the Slytherins weren’t the nicest people. They weren’t sure what to think of me, but they came around to realize I wasn’t like the rest of them.

The train ride had once again, introduced me to a new friend. Celina, Neville, and I bonded over several things. He told us about how he lived with his grandma. How he took interest in Herbology, which surprised me because not many people liked it, apart from me.

One evening while going back to common rooms everyone gathered in the corridor. I pushed myself through the crowd to see what caught everyone’s attention. At first all I saw was Harry, Ron, and Hermione standing in front of writing on the wall, and then I saw the caretaker’s cat hanging by her tail from a wall lamp. I didn’t know what to think, “Enemies of the heir beware?” Draco read what was written on the wall out loud, “You’ll be next, Mudbloods.”

“What’s going on here? Go on. Make way, make way.” Filch hissed while pushing his way through the students.

Filch stopped in shock, “Mrs. Norris?” He whispered in terror, “You’ve murdered my cat!” He looked directly at Harry.

“No. No.” Harry responded.

“I’ll kill ya,” Filch grabbed Harry by his robes, “I’ll kill ya!”

“Argus!” Dumbledore roared, “Argus I...” he paused to see the writing on the wall and Mrs. Norris, “Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately. Everyone except you three….” He pointed at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Later in the week Hermione had asked Professor McGonagall about the Chamber of Secrets during a Transfiguration lesson. She was hesitant, “Very well… you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago, by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin.

Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families, in other words pure-bloods.

Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now according to legend… Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though shortly before departing, he sealed it... until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the chamber… and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who… in Slytherin’s view, were unworthy to study magic.

Naturally the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found.”

“Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the chamber?” Hermione asked.

“The chamber is said to be home to something… that only the heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home… of a monster.”

A Gryffindor vs. Slytherin Quidditch match always held so much tension. I had friends in Gryffindor so I secretly cheered for both teams. This year Draco had become the new Seeker and his father had come to watch the match. Draco ended up taking a nasty fall and Harry’s arm got hit by a Bludger, breaking his arm.

It wasn’t long until there was an actual student who had been petrified instead of Filch’s cat. Harry had overheard some Professors talking when he had to stay in the Hospital Wing because Professor Lockhart failed to fix his broken arm and instead had removed all the bones from his arm. The student who had been petrified was that annoying Creevey boy. Harry also heard Professor Dumbledore say that Hogwarts was no longer safe and the Chamber of Secrets had been open again. Harry told Ron and Hermione, Ron told Celina, and Celina told me.

With the Chamber of Secrets opened it was suggested that a dueling club was formed so students could learn how to protect themselves. It was during one of these lessons that the whole school found out that Harry spoke Parseltongue, he could talk to snakes. Therefore everyone was convinced Harry was the true heir of Salazar Slytherin. How could Harry Potter be the heir of Slytherin? It just didn’t make sense, but everyone knew Salazar was a Parseltongue.

Another student had been petrified, a Hufflepuff named Justin, along with Gryffindor’s Ghost, Nearly Headless Nick. Needless to say, it seemed like everybody, but Ron, Hermione, Celina, and I believed Harry was the one behind the attacks.

Instead of going home for the Christmas holidays this year, my parents suggested I stay at Hogwarts since Draco was. When were they going to understand that we weren’t the best friends they thought we were?

I tried desperately to convince Celina to stay at Hogwarts for holidays; she said her oldest brother Christian made a big deal about everyone being home to meet his new girlfriend.

One night when I was walking back to common room I was about to turn the corner to the Slytherin common room, “Renae!” I stopped and turned around to see Crabbe and Goyle.

Why were they trying to get my attention? They’d always ignored me before. I just stood there until they caught up to me. I didn’t say anything, I just stared at them.

“It’s us,” Crabbe whispered.

What on earth was he talking about, “I can see that…”

Goyle hit Crabbe, “No, it’s Harry and Ron. We’ve taken a Polyjuice Potion.”

“And you chose to be Crabbe and Goyle? What for?” I asked suspiciously.

“We want to talk to Malfoy.” Ron answered.

“About what?” I asked.

“We want to see if he’s the Heir of Slytherin, the one attacking the Muggle-borns.” Harry admitted.

“You’re out of your minds. I can assure you he isn’t the behind this!” It never failed for them to always try and blame something on Draco.

“Crabbe, Goyle, where have you two been? Pigging out in the Great Hall all this time?” Draco turned around the corner.

He looked at me, confused, “Why are you two talking to her? And why are you wearing glasses?”

Furious, I turned around and entered the common room. I had the girl’s dormitory to myself since the other girls had all gone home, which I was thankful for. Why couldn’t my parents have just let me go home, instead of be stuck here with no one to talk to.

Hermione and Penelope Clearwater had been petrified and found in the library. There were stricter rules set to try and keep everyone safe. We were also told that if these attacks weren’t stopped it was likely the school would be closed.

Not long after Hermione and Penelope had been petrified something else happened. Ron’s younger sister, Ginny had been taken into the chamber. With another message written on the wall, “Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.”

The whole talk of the school was how Hogwarts wasn’t going to last much longer. With Hagrid gone, due to suspicion an all the attacks on student’s chances weren’t good. Teachers seemed extra protective and watchful for the remaining of the year.

Celina and I visited Hermione often when we got out of class. Madame Pomfrey told us she’d be fine in a week or so, as well as the rest of the students.

The whole school found out about Harry and Ron going into the Chamber of Secrets with Professor Lockhart and how Harry had destroyed the monster within which was a basilisk. How Professor Lockhart lost his memory and became a permanent resident to St. Mungos. And how Harry had saved Ginny Weasley’s life.

At the End-of-Term feast all those who had been petrified were back. Hagrid had returned to take his job back and exams had been cancelled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please :)