Status: .

Me Against the World and, Oh Yeah, a ***er

Chapter 2

I turn around and face the person. "What?" I ask, unsure of what else to say.

"You're the girl whose parents just got killed, right?" they ask. Have people heard about it already?!

"Who's asking?" I reply.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Jeanette," she says.

"I'm Matrix," I reply, "And yeah, my parents got killed last night. How did you find out?"

"This is a pretty small town, so news spreads fast," Jeanette says, "And you have a cool name, by the way."

"Thanks," I reply.

"You're new here, right?" she asks.

"Yeah, I actually just moved in yesterday," I reply.

"Wow... It must be hard," she says.

"It is, especially having no friends or family to get through it with," I reply.

"Everyone's pretty nice here," she says, "Maybe we can hang out sometime."

"Cool," I reply, "Can I have your number?"

"Yeah," she says as she pulls out a slip of paper and a pen from her pocket. She scribbles something down and hands it to me.

"Thanks," I say.

"Text me sometime, but I have to go now. I'm here with my little sister. See you later!" she says as she walks away. I haven't even noticed until now that I am in the park. I start heading back home, because it's getting a little cold. I am just finishing inputing Jeanette's number into my phone as I walk up the steps of my house. I know this is the last place I want to be right now, but my choices are pretty limited, considering I have been here for only about 24 hours. I open the unlocked door and slowly walk in. I was frazzled while the police were here, because I was still in shock. Actually, I still am in shock, but slightly less now. I walk into the room that Esperanza and I were supposed to share and sit down on my bed. The room is still pretty empty because we haven't finished moving in yet. In fact, the locked moving van is still sitting vacant outside the house. I figure I'll call the company to finish the job tomorrow. It occurs to me that sooner or later, the police will come back and take me away to put me in a foster home. I am surprised that they didn't do so earlier today, but I decide to make the most of the time I have left here, alone. Jeanette is still probably at the park with her sister. When I think of the word, a tear comes to my eye because I don't have a sister anymore, she is probably dead. There is nothing to do and I don't want to do anything right now anyway, so I curl up into a ball and attempt to sleep.