Status: Complete

Run on for a Long Time

Baking

Murphy woke up in the middle of the night. It wasn't the first time, he had been having trouble sleeping all night. He glanced at the clock, it had only been an hour since the last time he had woken up. He kept thinking about Eliza and the possibility of her being pregnant. She was laying on her back next to him, one hand was up next to her head, and her other hand was on his face. He smiled and turned onto his side to face her.

Murphy reached up and brushed hair out of her face, then he rested his hand on her belly. He ran his thumb over the silk of her nightgown. It was killing him not knowing whether or not there was a child growing inside her. A part of him hoped there was, the other part hoped there wasn't. Until no one was trying to kill them, it was safer for her to not be pregnant. Eliza made him want children though. He wanted to be a father as long as she was his children's mother.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. She rolled onto her side and draped her arm across his waist and he smiled. Murphy closed his eyes and forced himself to go back to sleep.

When he woke up again his bed was empty. He sat up and looked at the clock. It was 6:30 in the morning. He got up and walked downstairs. The kitchen light was on and he walked into the room to see Eliza standing at the counter, a tray of cupcakes were in front of her. She had a bowl of icing in her hands and she was carefully topping each cupcake with it. "What are you doing?" Murphy asked.

"Baking." It was a simple reply, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, and Eliza didn't even bother to look up at Murphy as she picked a cupcake up, smeared it with white icing, and sat it back down.

"Why?"

She shrugged, "Can't sleep."

Murphy looked around the room and seen a variety of baked treats covering the counter. "How long have you been baking?"

Eliza shrugged, "I don't know. Long enough to make chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, a cake, and now there's a pie in the oven as well."

"What kind of pie?"

"Chocolate."

"What kind of cupcakes?"

"Red velvet. So is the cake. And the icing is homemade."

Murphy reached for one of the already iced cupcakes and she smacked the top of his hand with the butter knife, leaving icing on his hand. "What did you do that for?" he asked before licking the icing off.

"You'll spoil your appetite. As soon as the pie comes out of the oven I'm going to make breakfast. How do you want your eggs?"

He shrugged, "I don't care."

"Can we have pancakes instead?" Connor asked as he walked into the room.

Eliza nodded, "I suppose."

"What woke you up?" Murphy asked.

"The smell of chocolate chip cookies. I've been laying in bed trying to go back to sleep, but I can't."

Eliza smiled to herself and iced another cupcake.

"I thought you were never going into the kitchen again, to keep from burning yourself."

Eliza rolled her eyes, "I seem to do fine as long as other people aren't in here. So why don't you two go.....do something, and I'll let you know when breakfast is ready."

"Good enough for me," Connor said then left the room.

Murphy kissed Eliza's forehead and said, "Be careful," then left as well.