Status: Complete

Run on for a Long Time

Sunburn

Eliza was standing outside, barefoot with her eyes closed. The sun was shining down on her and she drew in a deep breath. The air smelled strongly of salt from the ocean, and she smiled. She tilted her face up to let the sun warm her skin while the cool water splashed against her body. "Eliza!" she heard Murphy call her name and she opened her eyes. She turned around and seen him walking towards her. She grinned as he walked to her. He walked into the water and grabbed her, pulling her into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck. As she held him she felt something wet against her stomach. She looked down to see a red splotch on her skin. She touched it, but there was no wound. She looked at Murphy and seen a dark red splotch on his shirt. She touched it; it was wet with blood. He had been shot.

Eliza jerked upright in bed, screaming. Eunice and Romeo came running into the room. "What's wrong? What happened?" Eunice asked.

"Murphy! Where's Murphy? Is he okay?" Her voice was high-pitched and shrill, and there were tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Murphy's fine," Eunice sat on the edge of the bed. "Don't worry. I just talked to Paul an hour ago. Everything went off without a hitch. They'll be home tomorrow."

"Are you sure?"

"Would it make you feel better if I called?"

Eliza nodded.

"Hold on then. Let me go get the phone."

She stood up and walked past Romeo to go get her phone from her bedroom. "I'm guessing you had a nightmare?" he asked Eliza.

"What do you think?"

He didn't reply.

"You want to talk about it?"

She shook her head. "I hate talking about nightmares. It always makes it worse."

Eunice returned with the phone. She had already called on her way back to Eliza's room, and Murphy was on the line waiting for her. She handed the phone to Eliza. She put the phone to her ear, and in a shaky voice said, "Murphy?"

"Eliza, what's wrong?"

"I had an awful nightmare. I needed to make sure you were okay."

"I'm perfectly fine. Nothing has happened to me."

"Good.....are dad and Connor okay too?"

"We're all fine."

"Hurry home."

"I'll be there as soon as possible. Stop worrying so much."

They said their 'good-byes' and 'I love yous' and hung up. Eliza handed the phone back to Eunice.

"Happy now?" Eunice asked.

Eliza nodded and laid back down to go back to sleep. Eunice and Romeo left the room, shutting the door behind them.

When Eliza woke up again she went downstairs and seen Murphy, Connor, and Paul had already gotten back. She ran to Murphy and threw herself into his arms. He held her tightly. "Don't ever, ever, ever leave me again," she said.

"I won't. Ever." He leaned down and kissed her.

When they pulled away Eliza hugged Paul, "I missed you too."

"What about me?" Connor asked, playfully.

"Why would I miss you?" she asked, teasing him.

"Be that way," he joked, pretending to be hurt. "But don't ever expect me to protect you ever again."

"I'm just kidding," she lightly hit his arm and he winced. "What's wrong with you?"

"Connor has a sunburn," Murphy told her.

She smiled, "Gotta love Florida weather! Maybe if you had of told me where you were going, I would've told you to wear sunblock. Then again....it is you, so maybe I wouldn't of."

They shared a laugh and then Eliza pulled Murphy away from everyone to tell him her good news.