Status: Complete

Run on for a Long Time

Finale

Eliza and Murphy stood in the hallway away from the others. She had just told him that she was pregnant. Murphy's arms were wrapped around her and Eliza's hands rested on his forearms. "I can't believe it," Murphy said, looking into Eliza's eyes. "I never thought I'd be-" he was cut off by the appearance of Connor.

"What's going on?"

"None of your business," Eliza said.

Unfortunately, the dumb grin that was plastered to Murphy's face told Connor that there was something interesting going on. "You know I'll just read your journal later."

"I stopped writing in it, stupid!"

"Why do you always have to call me stupid?"

"Because you always say stupid stuff."

"What is going on?" Paul asked, walking into the hallway. "Can't you two go a day without fighting with each other?"

No one said anything. Connor and Eliza just stared down at their feet. Finally, Connor spoke, "Eliza and Murphy are keeping secrets."

"No we're not! It's just none of your business." The bickering started once again, and Paul rolled his eyes.

"If you two are going to fight, go outside. I don't feel like listening to this."

Eliza turned on her heel and stomped off towards the stairs. Murphy and Connor just stood there. "So....." Connor said after a few seconds had passed, "Are you going to tell me what's going on?"

Murphy rolled his eyes, "Find something else to occupy your mind...if that's possible." He walked away.

"You've been spending too much time with her. You're treating me the way she does," Connor complained, pretending to be hurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A month passed, and Eliza hadn't started to show yet. She stood in front of the tall, full-body mirror in one of the back rooms of the cathedral, staring at her reflection. Her dress was on and Eunice was standing behind her, lacing it up. Her hair was pulled back into a bun, with just a couple of small strands hanging down around her face. "You look beautiful," Eunice told her.

"Thank you," she smiled.

There was a knock on the door and Eunice walked over to it to answer it. Kaitlyn walked in and smiled at her daughter. Eliza held her arms out and her mom walked over and hugged her. "I honestly thought this day would never come," Kaitlyn whispered in Eliza's ear, trying to keep a tear from slipping out of her eye. She pulled away and smiled at her mom.

"I'm glad you're here."

"Nothing in the world could make me miss this." She paused while she looked over Eliza's appearance. "Do you have something new, besides your dress?"

"Well, it's not really 'new' but it's new enough," she said, touching her mermaid necklace that had been given to her for her birthday.

"Something-"

"My shoes are blue," Eliza cut her off, and lifted the hem of her dress to reveal the blue heels. "And my hair clips are borrowed," she touched one of the small, bejeweled clips holding her hair back that Eunice had loaned her. "The only thing I don't have is something old."

Kaitlyn smiled, "I can help you with that." She pulled a box out of her purse and handed it to Eliza.

Eliza pried the lid off, "Grandma's gloves."

Kaitlyn nodded, "The same one's she wore on her wedding day."

Eliza smiled and pulled the wrist-length, lace gloves on. There was a small elastic band in the cuffs to keep them from sliding down her hand. There was another knock on the door and Paul appeared, dressed in a simple tuxedo, his hair was pushed back behind his ears, and he was smiling. "Are you ready?" he asked.

Eliza nodded and walked over to him. Her hand rested in the crook of his arm and they all walked out of the room. Eunice and Kaitlyn took their seats and waited for Eliza to be walked down the aisle. Eliza smiled at Paul, "This isn't fair," he said, "I feel like you shouldn't be old enough to be getting married yet."

Eliza chuckled, "You forgot your boutonniere," she said, noticing there wasn't a flower on his lapel.

"It's too late to worry about it now."

Eliza chuckled again and pulled one of the calla lilies out of her bouquet and used one of her hair clips to hold it in place on Paul's lapel. "There, everything's perfect now." The music started and the doors where opened by Detectives Duffy and Dolly. They smiled at Paul and Eliza as they entered the large room that was filled with just Murphy, Connor, Romeo, Eunice, Kaitlyn, Doc, and Father McKinney.

Eliza got to the end of the aisle and Paul gave her hand to Murphy. Before he did though, he turned and lifted Eliza's veil to kiss her cheek. He lowered it back down and noticed the tear in the corner of Eliza's eye. "Don't cry," he whispered. "You'll ruin your make up."

Father McKinney started the service, and Murphy and Eliza said their vows. Afterwards, they went to McGinty's where Doc was holding a private reception for them. He had even closed the bar for the evening.

Everyone was sitting around the bar, smiling and talking when Murphy stood up. "There's something we want to tell everyone," he said. He looked down at Eliza and they smiled. "We're going to have a baby."

"You're married now, we wouldn't expect anything less," Connor said, not realizing Eliza was already pregnant.

"Stupid!" Romeo said, smacking him lightly in the back of the head. "He means she's already pregnant."

Every one laughed and cheered at the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eliza was lying in bed, miserable. The baby was due any day now, and she had been extremely sick. "Are you okay?" Murphy asked her as she got up.

"I'm sick, what do you think!" She left the room and walked down to the bathroom to throw up again. As soon as she reached for the door her water broke. "MURPHY!" she screamed as the contractions started.

He jumped up and ran to her. "What happened? What's wrong?" he asked as Eunice, Paul, Connor, and Romeo came out of their rooms.

"The baby is coming."

They got Eliza back into bed and Eunice and Murphy stayed in the room with her. Paul called the midwife and waited downstairs for her arrival. As another contraction sent pain through Eliza's body she grabbed the collar of Murphy's shirt and pulled him down so that they were inches apart. "If I survive this I'm going to kill you!" she screamed through clenched teeth.

Eunice brushed hair out of Eliza's face and held her hand. The midwife arrived and she helped Eliza give birth. As soon as the baby was born she wrapped him in a blanket and handed him to Eliza. Murphy sat down on the edge of the bed next to her and put his arm around her. "Do you still want to kill me?"

She shook her head, "No. You can live."

He smiled and kissed the top of Eliza's head while he looked at his son.