Status: Complete

Run on for a Long Time

Letter

Eliza couldn't sleep that night. She laid in bed next to Murphy, her head on his shoulder, and his arm around her. She sighed and sat up. He was asleep. She smiled and kissed his forehead before carefully climbing over him. She pulled her nightgown on and slid a pair of panties up her legs before grabbing her notebook and sneaking downstairs to the kitchen. She didn't want the light in her bedroom to wake Murphy up. She sat her notebook on the counter and flipped the kitchen light on before writing a letter to her mom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The letter Kaitlyn Shaunessy held in her hand didn't have a return address, but she recognized the handwriting on the envelope as her daughter's. The postmark was dated from three days before. She blinked back tears, it had been so long since she had heard from her daughter. When Eliza disappeared she had been so worried, and she had spent every day wondering about her. She put on a front around Antonia, pretending to believe her daughter was okay. She walked out of the post office and sat down in her car.

She sat there for a few minutes, just staring at the envelope. She was afraid that it wouldn't actually be from Eliza, that it was just a coincidence that the handwriting was similar. Finally, she took a deep breath before opening the envelope and pulling the letter out.

Mom,

I'm sorry I haven't tried to contact you sooner. It's too dangerous for me to call you, but I want you to know I'm okay. I'm with my father, and he's taking care of me. I can't tell you where, but I hope to one day see you again. He's not the only one taking care of me either. There's a woman, she's older than me, but she's very sister-like. And I have "brothers" now, although one of them can be a little aggravating at times. I love them all though.
Also, I'm in my first relationship now, and I absolutely love him. His name is Murphy, but that's all I can tell you at the moment. Please don't worry about me. As soon as it's safe, I'll come see you, I promise.

Love,
Eliza


A tear fell down Kaitlyn's cheek. After three months, and she gets a letter that isn't even a full two paragraphs long. She read it over and over. She was happy her daughter was safe, but she was angry that she didn't have the slightest idea as to where Eliza was. She blinked back more tears as she thought of Paul Smecker. Somehow Eliza had managed to find him. That explained why the police found her car in Boston. She wondered about the others, especially Murphy. She wondered how he had convinced Eliza to date him, and if he had deflowered her princess. Probably, she thought, men are such pigs.

Kaitlyn dried her tears and started the car. She drove home. She lived just outside Orlando, in Lake Mary. She walked inside, clutching the letter. She had read it so many times that she had memorized each word. Antonia was already home, and she noticed the distress that was evident on Kaitlyn's face, "Are you okay?" she asked.

Kaitlyn nodded, "I'm fine." She held her hand out and Antonia took the envelope from her. She slid the letter out and read it.

Antonia smiled, "I told you she'd be okay. You just had to wait. Why don't you sit down, I'll go get you some tea."

Kaitlyn nodded again, and Antonia walked into the kitchen. She had been right about someone helping Eliza. There was no way she could've gotten around on her own otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eliza danced around the living room while dinner was being cooked. "Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones was playing. "Murphy, dance with me," she said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him to her. She sang along with the music as she forced him to dance. Then she thought of a joke she had heard once, "Hey, hey, what's the difference between The Rolling Stones and a Scotsman?"

"What?" Murphy asked.

"The Rolling Stones say, 'Hey you, get off of my cloud!' a Scotsman says, 'Hey McCloud, get off of my ewe!'" She giggled and Murphy rolled his eyes. "Get it! An ewe is a sheep!"

"You're adorable when you're drunk."

She giggled again and he said, "I think maybe you should sit down for a little while."

"No!" she said and started spinning around. When she stopped she held her head. "I'm dizzy! Catch me!"

He held his arms out and she fell into them. She looked up at him and smiled. "You're crazy."

"You have a pretty mouth," she smiled.

He chuckled and sat her down on the couch.