A Moment in the Delivery Room

1/1

Cradling the newborn infant in her hand, Lily smiled as two fat teardrops dripped from both hazel eyes. They silently slid down her cheek and plopped down onto her chest, just barely missing her daughter. Her heart swelled as she felt her baby move in her hands. They were very small, miniscule movements, but it felt like heaven in Lily’s arms.

The nurse watched from afar and admired the touching scene. She walked up to Lily’s bed and smiled softly. “Would you like for your husband to come in now? He’s been waiting impatiently ever since he heard the first cries.”

Lily chuckled to herself. “Of course. I’m surprised Brian hasn’t busted in the doors demanding to see his daughter. But yes, I would love for him to come in.”

The nurse nodded her head and walked out to the waiting room. A few seconds later, Brian came in with eager eyes that seemed to be wet. As he walked up to his wife and new child, he seemed to be overwhelmed with emotion. “She’s beautiful,” he whispered, as if being too loud would wake the baby. “Just like her mother.”

Lily beamed. “Are you crying Brian?”

Flustered, Brian slowly shook his head. “Yes.”

Lily took one hand from under the baby and wrapped it around Brian’s dangling hand. “I haven’t seen you cry since the first time we made love.”

“I’ll never forget both of those occasions.”

“It takes a lot to make a man cry.”

“Both times I’ve shed tears have been because of you Lily, baby. You’ve changed my life in so many ways and you just brought our child into the world. I’m proud to be your husband.”

“I’m proud to be your wife.”

“And I’m proud to call to call that our daughter.”

Both parents looked down and radiance of love seemed to come from them. Their daughter smiled for the first time at that moment.