Dying Embers

Regrets

Don rolled over on his bed and looked at the alarm clock to read the time. One am. He stood up and went to go check on Brett. She was asleep on the couch. It'd taken every ounce of his self-control to walk away that night. He laid down, finally going to sleep. The dreams he'd had were anything but friendly about his partner.
[Dream-mode~]

Don woke up in his bed, feeling feather-light kisses brushing his skin, his skin searing from each kiss. He looked to see the giver of such a touch and saw Brett straddling his hips, and she looked up with a slow smile, sitting up straight. She was wearing a lacy black and red bra with matching panties. Subtle, yet undeniably sexy. Her auburn hair was down, flowing over her shoulders and her ocean-blue eyes were darkened with desire. Her lips hovered over his, teasing him with light kisses.
"God, that feels so good", Don said as she kissed along his neck. Her hands were roving over his body. He wasn't used to being the one dominated, but he liked this a lot. He ran a hand up the curves of her waist, pressing his palm against her backside.
"I'm just as good as giving as I am receiving, you know", he said. That earned him a light giggle.
"Detective, behave yourself", Brett teased, licking his lips lightly. Unable to take this agonizing slowness anymore, Don braced Brett and flipped her so he was over her.
"My turn", he said, looking down at her. He kissed and nibbled on her neck, going down to her chest. He reached back and unhooked her bra slowly. He heard her breath catch as he looked up into her eyes as he moved it away from her. His palm pressed against her breast, playing with a tip until it stiffened. Brett moaned under his touch as he bent his head down to her chest.
He played with it with her tongue. If slow was her game, he'd match it. He moved over to the other side and gently blew on it. She moaned again, her body stiffening.
"Please", she breathed. Don looked down at her. He knew he had her now.
"Please what, Brett?" he asked.
"Take me now", she whispered. He smiled, hooking his thumbs into her panties and sliding them down. He pulled down his own boxers and slid in, covering her mouth with his to smother her moan. They continued this until a loud, annoying beeping interrupted.

[Real world~]

Don shot up in bed, soaked to the bone. Brett was standing in his doorway, holding a bucket in her hand. She was still cuffed. And fully clothed.
"Hey, cold shower's that way. Tell your pants it's not polite to point", she said, a clearly amused look on her face. Don looked down and felt his face warm. Yep, it was a dream and now everything was very awkward.... He reached over and flicked off his alarm clock.
"First things first...get these cuffs off, please?" she requested. He tossed her the key. She caught them and unlocked the cuffs, rubbing her wrists.
"Alright, touche, we're even", she said, that devilish gleam in her eyes. He walked towards the shower, feeling a tad uncomfortable. When he was done, he saw Brett in regular clothes, sitting down with a granola bar.
"We gotta head in a tad early today. Paperwork's a-calling and Sythe wanted to talk to us about something", she said with her mouth full.
"What do you think it's about?" Don asked, fixing his tie. Brett shrugged.
"I dunno. I heard from somewhere that a killer got loose in Charleston and came here", she replied, looking up.
"So why drag me into this?" he asked.
"You're my partner, duh", she replied. She stood up, brushing crumbs off her hands and tossed the wrapper in the garbage can.

The drive to the station was awkward and quiet. Both tried not to touch at all, not even brush fingers as they worked.
"We're not going to let whatever happened last night get in the way of working", Don muttered to her once they were alone for a moment.
"Wasn't going to let it", she replied quietly. He wished he could take the sadness out of her eyes, but nothing could. She was his inferior in the workplace. They were partners, but he was First Grade while she was Second Grade. If they were together, it would damage her career as a cop. She'd have to transfer back to Narcotics, which she hated, or quit the job she loved. He couldn't do that to her...
♠ ♠ ♠
I did change the rating and I will be adding more onto this chapter so stay tuned! I will most likely be updating Saturday...