Dying Embers

Answer Me

Backing Brett against the locker room wall wasn't his best tactic for getting information, but the stubborn woman wasn't talking. Not even when he nearly kissed her. He ran a hand through his hair when her phone rang.
"Fox", Brett said tonelessly. Her eyes widened.
"Daddy, I can't talk now", she said.
"Alright, I love you too". She shoved her phone into her pocket, shoved past Don, and limped out. He had to see her tonight. Crime scene cleanup hadn't gone through yet, they'd wait till IAB had finished with their investigation. He walked back into the bullpen and was approached by a well-dressed woman.
"Detective Flack, I'm Detective Brown with Internal Affairs. Can I talk to you about Detective Fox?" she asked, showing her badge. Don nodded and followed her into the interrogation room. He had an uneasy feeling about this.
"How do you perceive Brett Fox?" she asked. He knew sarcasm wouldn't be helpful in this situation.
"She's a good cop. Acts on instinct instead of emotion", he replied.
"Now, from my understanding, she replaced the late Detective Jessica Angell as your partner", she said, leaning forward. He nodded.
"Yeah, she did. I didn't really like her at first, considering who she was replacing, but everything's good now", he replied.

"I see", Brown said, writing it down.
"And had you met Grayson Bartlett prior to Monday night?" she asked. Don nodded.
"Yeah, fourth of July. He seemed really uptight, kind of possessive", he replied.
"And why do you think Detective Fox didn't file a report for abuse when he hit her prior to that?" Brown asked.
"Your guess is as good as mine", he replied. He didn't want to mention Brett had gone over later that night.
"What is the nature of your relationship with Detective Fox?" she asked.
"We're partners", he replied.
"C'mon, Don, I've seen your file. Brett's a very attractive woman and is around you all hours of the day. You mean to tell me you haven't had the urge to break the rules a little bit?" she said, leaning forward a bit. Don leaned forward as well.
"I'd be lying if I said I don't think Brett's attractive. I don't break the rules anymore, Detective Brown. We're both professionals and neither one wants to jeopardize the other's career. We're partners and we have each other's backs", he replied. It was true. He wasn't lying one bit, he realized. He really did want Brett to succeed.
"I believe you, Don, I really do. I've viewed the case thoroughly, spent many, many late nights on it and I don't think there's a murderous bone in Detective Fox's body", Brown said. He felt himself relax. Brett was safe.

"We're not closing the case until we get a definitive response from Grayson Bartlett", she said, holding up a hand. Don nodded.
"Are we done here?" he asked. Brown nodded. He stood up and walked out, pinching the bridge of his nose. Brett and Silver were chatting animatedly while Brett finished her paperwork. Easy was nowhere in sight. When Brett teased about bidding on Chris O'Malley, Don was pissed. He'd never been a possessive man, but the thought of Brett being anywhere near a man Don didn't like had infuriated him.
"Hey, Fox, you done with that paperwork yet?" Don asked, nearly calling her by her first name. Brett looked up and looked at her paperwork.
"Nearly", she replied. She stacked it up.
"Remember Darrell?" Silver said. Brett laughed.
"Oh yeah! And my most unforgettable undercover work?" she replied. Both laughed and Silver looked up at Don.
"Brett here has done some very colorful undercover work. Her most memorable was Delilah", Silver said. Don raised an eyebrow at his partner, causing her to giggle.
"I went undercover as a stripper last year and no one will ever let me forget it", Brett explained. Don raised his other eyebrow.
"I heard that pole-dancing is great cardio", he said. Brett gave him a bright smile.
"Oh yeah, so is belly-dancing. Both kick my ass", she replied. He tried to keep his jaw from dropping and dirty thoughts from racing in his head.

"What can you say, Buster? 'All work and no play makes Brett a very dull girl'", Don heard someone say. It was Easy. Brett set her paperwork in a folder and stood up.
"Want me to run that for you? You've been limping all day", Don said. Brett gave him a look.
"Yeah, a bullet hole in the leg does that to you. I need to exercise my leg, I'm no use if I'm on desk duty all the time. The sooner this leg of mine heals, the sooner I can get back to vigorous activities, like taking down suspects", she replied. Silver nudged her ribs and muttered something in her ear. Brett whacked her friend, rolling her eyes.
"That mind of yours, Abbey, I swear", she chided.
"Well, what are you going to do when you clock out?" Don asked. She was staying with him for a while, until the case was through and crime scene cleanup went through her place.
"I was probably going to go back and sleep. This pain medication is draining me and I'm not physically up for any wild outings", she replied.
"I'll see you back, I'm about to clock out myself", he said. He was going to use this time to interrogate his partner. He wanted answers and he was going to get them...
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I will be randomly updating, so bear with me :c I'll be working on the next chapter tomorrow night