Dying Embers

Back to Work

Brett and Don pulled up to a nightclub, not talking about the night before. Just thinking about the kisses made Brett weak in the knees.
"If that druggie's in there, we need someone to go in after him. That club is packed", Don said. Brett looked up and across the street, frowning. She had an idea forming in her head.
"And if they see cops, there'll be a panic and Dave Smith will have an advantage", Brett replied.
"We don't have time to get an undercover in there", Officer Ariel protested. Brett's head popped up.
"I'll do it. They don't know who I am", Brett offered. Don shook his head.
"Hell no. They could be armed", Don replied. Brett rolled her eyes.
"I have a plan. I go in there, draw him out into the alley, and you guys cuff him", she said.
"How exactly are you going to draw him out?" Don asked skeptically.
"With my feminine wiles. Trust me, I've done this plenty of times", Brett replied with a smile. She wasn't dumb enough to think this wasn't a risk, but she knew the effect she had on men.
"You're not exactly dressed to impress", Don said, appraising her jeans and top. Brett peered into the car and saw a belted pea coat on the seat. She pulled it out and put it on. It grazed down her thighs, showing off a bit of her chest.
"Don, hand me your chain", Brett said. Don pulled off his chain, unclipped his badge, and handed it to her.
"Be a lookout", she urged him. She hopped into the car, thankful for her boots. She tugged off her clothes and pulled on the coat, cinching the waist and shoving her feet back into her boots. She unwound her hair from its ponytail and let it fall down her shoulders. The coat was lightweight.

"Dressed to impress now?" she said. She smirked inwardly at the widening eyes of Don and Ariel. She grabbed her gun strap and placed it on her thigh, slipping her Glock into the holster. She grabbed her ID from her wallet and walked towards the club. She flashed her ID and walked right in. A tall, well-muscled man was standing in front of a round couch where a man was sitting with a woman, heavily making out. Brett smirked and walked up to the bouncer.
"I've heard SO much about Dave, can I just talk to him for just one little second?" she asked, keeping her voice light and sultry. She drew her index finger up the bouncer's arm, not breaking eye contact. She looked at Dave and winked.
"Let her back, Benny", Dave said after the woman left. Brett gave Benny a slow, seductive smile and sat down next to Dave.
"What's your name, sugar?" he asked. Brett cozied herself closer to Dave, putting a leg over his knee.
"What do you want it to be?" she purred. Dave raised his eyebrows.
"I'm looking for a good time and I heard you're my go-to guy", Brett said. She tossed her hair over one shoulder and gave him her best smoldering look. Like a hot knife to butter.
"Well, for the right price, I can give you whatever you desire", Dave replied, slipping a kiss on Brett's neck. She fought the urge to writhe against him in disgust.

"I don't got money right now, but will you take a rain check?" Brett murmured. Dave was sliding his hand up her right leg. Her Glock was strapped to her right leg.
"Why don't we go somewhere more private?" he suggested, just before his fingers would brush across the gun strap. Brett smiled and stood up, leading him to the back alley. She looked behind her shoulder and saw Ariel walking by. She nodded and he ran over, slamming Dave against the wall.
"NYPD, you're under arrest", she said, pulling her badge out of her coat and her gun from her thigh.
"You set me up", Dave hissed. Don came out the back way, walking out.
"Like a charm. Good job, Fox", he said tightly. Something was bothering him. Ariel tugged him towards a cruiser and shoved him in. Brett hopped into the car she and Don were driving and pulled her regular clothes back on.
"That was easy", Brett said breezily. She crossed her legs and studied her partner. They had just wrapped up a major drug case. They had been investigating this case for four months now.
"Yeah, now the real work begins", Don replied sourly.
"What's your problem?" Brett asked. She instantly regretted how she worded that question. Don turned around to face her, eyes blazing.
"What's my problem?" he repeated.
"I didn't mean to word it like that", Brett replied softly. She knew how she left him last night was unfair. She came across as a major tease, just to get the upper hand.

"Well, my problem is, I extend a courtesy to you and you stomped all over me. Stabbed me in the back with a smile on your face and you had no problem doing that to someone else. That's my problem", Don said, obviously trying to control his temper. Brett was quiet.
"I know what happened last night was wrong of me. I don't like being painted as a vulnerable victim, it scared the hell out of me. I don't like not being in control", she said. It was no excuse.
"So you go and lead me on. I almost broke the damn rules for you just so you could be in control", Don snarled.
"I didn't mean to lead you on! That wasn't my intention at all", Brett protested. Don held up his hand.
"So what was your intention?" he demanded. She didn't know how to answer that.
"I originally came to see how you were, and it blew up into that", Brett replied. Four months on the job, and she was starting to feel something for Don. Feelings couldn't be a part of this.
"Let's just drop this, okay? Last night didn't happen, this argument didn't happen", Don said. Brett nodded slowly, feeling like a six year old girl, instead of a twenty-seven year old woman.
"Can I make it up to you?" she asked softly.
"You can make it up to me by not sending me mixed signals", Don replied as they pulled in. Brett got out silently and walked inside the precinct, ready to start the agonizing paperwork. Sythe pointed to her.

"You, go on home. You're on call tonight and you can do your paperwork in the morning", he said. Brett nodded and went to go clock out. Don came up behind her.
"Coffee?" he asked. She checked her watch.
"At nine o'clock at night?" she said, raising her eyebrow.
"Decaf", he corrected. Brett rolled her eyes, chuckling.
"Sure. We're taking my car though", she agreed. They walked to her car and Brett smiled to herself as Don let out an appreciative low whistle.
"You know a lot about cars?" he asked. Brett smiled.
"I've worked on cars with my dad since I was eleven. Made a lot of money doing that", she replied, running her fingers across her car door.