Dying Embers

Apologies

Don and Brett had decided to grab a drink from a local club, called 'Burlesque'.
"Oh, I love the movie, Burlesque. I'm a sucker for musicals", Brett admitted. She was buying him a drink to properly apologize. Don knew she truly felt guilty for what she did, he could tell.
"Alright, I'll forgive you if you do one thing", Don said, a devilish gleam in his eye. Brett gave him a wary look. Don got up and walked over to a DJ.
"Hey, man, my friend over there wanted to know if she could have a turn to sing. She did it all the time in Charleston and she's really missing it. She also screwed up very bad and is currently trying to make it up to me", he said into the DJ's ear. The DJ nodded.
"What song?" he asked. Don scanned the list before deciding on Dirrty by Christina Aguilera.
"That song is perfect", he replied, tapping the song. The DJ laughed and nodded. Don walked back over.
"You know any Christina Aguilera songs?" he asked. Brett's jaw dropped.
"You did not", she said, her eyes desperate. Dirrty started playing over the speakers.
"Oh, I did. I'll get my friend over there to carry you if you try to punk out", Don replied, pleased with himself. Brett gave him a death glare, tossed back her shot and walked up on stage. Don sat back in his chair and watched her little show. She was a pretty good singer and she had even started to dance. It was hypnotic to watch her move, it had a lot of the guys in the audience whooping and cheering. She was swinging her hips a bit, rocking back and forth, swaying her torso a bit. After she was done, she got off the stage and strutted back over.

"Happy now?" Brett asked, sitting down.
"Yes. Thank you, now my heart can fully heal", Don replied.
"To heal a heart is to have one", she retorted.
"Ha, nice one, Rodeo", he replied. They got up to go.
"I'm okay to drive, I only had one shot. One painful, painful shot", Brett said as she slid into the driver's seat.
"You also shot whiskey, something not a lot of girls can do", Don pointed out. He knew whiskey was a very strong alcohol.
"Nah, I'm good", Brett replied. She started the car and drove him to his apartment building.
"See you tomorrow", she said.
"You wanna come up?" Don asked. Brett shrugged.
"Only if you want me to", she replied. He gestured her up. He walked her up to his apartment and sat down with her on the couch.
"You do know I really am sorry, right? I don't want you to think I'm really like that", Brett said, biting her lip. Damn the alcohol, Don thought. Because now he couldn't tear his eyes away from her lips.
"Yeah, I know. You paid me back with drinks and singing karaoke", he replied with a chuckle. Cool it, it's the alcohol, he chided himself. And the fact that Brett might be the total opposite of Jess. Jess was sassy, sarcastic, and sexy. Brett was snarky, witty, and had the looks of a classic Hollywood beauty. Sexy would be an awkward word to place on Brett, but beautiful would be closer to the mark.

"Yeah, it was fun though", she said, blinking. Even their looks couldn't have been more different. Jess was a dark brunette, Brett had auburn hair. Jess had doe brown eyes, Brett had ocean-blue eyes. Jess was average height, Brett was tall and lanky. Jess was a city girl, Brett was a country girl. They couldn't have been more different. Would they have gotten along?
"What're you thinking about?" Brett asked. And she was perceptive. Jess was smart, Brett was perceptive.
"Nothing", Don replied. He didn't want to say what he desperately wanted to. How good it had felt when she had kissed him last night. When she had him pinned up against a wall, nuzzling kisses to his neck. How she had ultimately outsmarted him with his own game. Brett stood up, brushing off her jeans.
"Well, I've got a long, lazy day of paperwork, so see you tomorrow, Flack", she said. Don stood up, circling her waist with his arm and hugged her. Brett hugged him back before walking out.