Doe Eyes & a Nicotine Smile

1/1

Removing his cigarettes from his severely chapped lips, Gerard dropped it on the ground and stomped it out with his shoe. His nerves were already on edge, yet the cigarette did nothing but make it worse. His hands were shaking and he felt jittery. He leaned against the outside of the tour bus and took a deep breath.

Nothing.

Maybe he should quit smoking. He knew every puff he took diminished his life span, but he didn’t really give a shit. Sometimes he wished that his hellhole of a life would be over. The sooner the better. Everything tasted like nicotine anyway.

Just as Gerard was about to walk back into the bus, he saw a familiar shadow lurking around. He smiled. “Frannnnnk,” he said quietly. “Come out come out where ever you are. The big bad wolf might be out there.”

“Well that would suck,” Frank said.

Gerard nearly jumped out of his skin. Frank had popped out of nowhere and was now currently so close to Gerard it seemed that they were attached at the hip. “How the hell did you get here so fast?”

Frank ignored the question. His green eyes were shining even in the dark night and he was breathing through his mouth softly.

Gerard was absentmindedly starting at Frank. “You have doe eyes.”

Frank raised one of his eyebrows. “What does that mean?”

“You’ve never heard of that expression or phrase? How somebody has doe eyes?”

The younger man shook his head. “Never.”

Gerard ran a hand through his messy hair and chortled. “The way you’re acting right now makes the doe eye expression apply to you even more. When someone says you have doe eyes, it means that your eyes appear naïve and gently. Like innocent and pure. Which you are neither of them, but at the same time, you sort of are. You’re a walking contradiction.”

“You’re not making any sense Gee,” Frank replied with a small frown.

“It makes all the sense. You seem like you’re badass and all with your tattoos and old piercings. But all that is bullshit. You’re the sweetest and most adorable person I’ve ever met. When we first met, I was totally blindsided by your innocence. Maybe that’s why I was so attracted to you in the first place.”

“You told me that you were attracted to me because I played the guitar in a sexy way.”

Gerard smirked. “Well, I guess the guitar playing played a little role, but that’s not what instantly drawn me into you. I remember when you first moved your fringe out of your eyes and your eyes popped out. I couldn’t get over how kind and tender they looked.”

Frank walked wrapped an arm around Gerard’s waist. The older man responded by wrapping his arms around Frank’s shoulder. “That’s a really sweet thing to say Gerard.”

Gerard nodded his head. He felt the wind breeze by and shivered. “Why don’t we go in? It’s getting colder and colder out here. You don’t have a hoodie on either and I didn’t bring a jacket out here. I don’t want you to get sick or anything.”

“Okay.”

Together, the two men walked in the tour bus to warmth and relaxation. Frank walked in with his doe eyes and Gerard walked in with his nicotine smile. Even though the two combinations might not always mix perfectly, they worked just fine for the two.

And they wouldn’t have it any other way.