The Words You Don't Want To Hear

The Words You Don't Want To Hear

“We need to talk.”
It’s the words that you don’t want to hear. The words that you know precede heartbreaking news.

Even the tone of their voice says it all. The pounding of your heart echoes throughout your world, the rhythmic beat of fear becomes your soundtrack. Propelled by a force beyond your control your breathing becomes sharp and the waves of nausea begin to swell. You know that the one thing that you’ve given your whole being to is coming to an end. At the start, the future seemed so bright, it was just what you needed to illuminate the darkness. Full of hope, joy, and vibrantly colored imaginary butterflies in your stomach, this love was all that you dreamed you would someday find.

As they speak you hear the words but you don’t comprehend them. How could something that was once so good come to a close? There is no definite answer. People change, situations are not ideal, things happen, and sometimes the time just isn’t right. They tell you why they’re breaking your heart, but you’re too broken to understand. Your world is falling apart and you realize that you can’t stop it. Inside, you feel your heart begin to crack. The shattered remains will fall and you will be left all alone to pick them back up. You’re too distraught to believe that it’s the end. But if it was love, could it ever truly end? After all this time of being in their arms, feeling their tender kisses, being the recipient of the beautiful phrase everyone wants to hear, it’s over. You’re sure that it was true love, but there are no guarantees in this world. The questions begin to form.

Was it really love? Do they still love me? Will we get back together? Will I survive this?
Only time will tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 308