Her Words Are Swimming Through His Ears Again

Alpha dog by fall out boy

Just after pinning up my last iron maiden poster I had over my bed I walked over to my door when I heard a soft knock, confused I opened my door to see Bobby standing there with the hockey gear in his hands.

“Thank you” I said taking the stuff from him, nodding his head I turned around to shut the door, when he passed me an old hockey shirt and dark blue hoodie.

“It’s really cold outside” he said with a shrug at seeing my questioning gaze. Giving him small nod I carefully accepted the clothes.

“We’re going in a few minutes so hurry up” was the last thing he said before running down stairs, staring after him I tugged the extra clothing on. Walking down the stairs I spotted the boys waiting for me impatiently by the front door.

“Ok then let’s go, I want to see some quick sticks and some tight passing, you do know how to play right?” bobby questioned me as we walked down the street.

“Yes I know how to play” I muttered back not liking that I was being open with them.

“Good, now come on we have ladies to beat” he stated tying the laces on his skates. Giving a sharp nod I tugged the skates on, fastened them and skated out onto the ice.

“And that ladies, is another point to us” Angel shouted when I slammed a guy down into the ice. Finishing the game that we had won, I started to skate towards the side when I saw the same guy as before zooming towards me. Glaring I shifted my feet ready for the impact but before he could reach me bobby checked him into the side.

“Don’t you dare even thing about doing that ever again” bobby growled out glaring down at the guy on the ground, shocked I didn’t know what to say. All I did was stare at him and then proceed to get out of the rink and take my skates off.

Lying on my bed staring at the ceiling once again, thoughts were running through my head at an alarming rate. My first lot of thoughts were:

Was I going to stay here and if so how long?
Is this just a trick?
Could I really open up to these people?
Could I learn to trust them?

Then my thoughts seem to trail off to the incident that happened at the rink.

Why did bobby do that for me?
Did he care about me?
If he did care was it brotherly?
Maybe he already saw me as a sister
He was being friendly to me before, or was that an act?
Was all of this an act?
A cruel joke?

Letting out a groan of annoyance I always had to analyze things, even things that didn’t need to be. Rolling off of my bed, landing harshly on my knees I stood up and walked down the stairs to see Evelyn in the kitchen cooking something. Walking more into the kitchen I cautiously sat down at the table just watching her.

“Hello dear, how was hockey? Maybe they shouldn’t have taken you” she said worry laced into her voice.

Why was she ‘worried’ about me? Was she really worried? Did she think that I couldn’t handle myself? Did she not think I was strong enough?

I pushed the angered thoughts out of my head; they would only make my anger and hate grow for this woman if they lingered in my head any longer. But the big question was why did I care? I would have usually held onto them thoughts, clung onto them but for some reason I wanted to let them go, banish them from my mind.

After all this woman had welcomed me into her home, like most had done before her, but Evelyn had stuck up for me unlike everyone else. She still seemed to care unlike everyone else. Sighing to myself softly I placed my head on my arms wanting this to be real and a small voice in the back of my mind told me this was real.

“Hungry?” she asked again trying to hold some conversation with me.

“A little” I was surprised but the emotion I heard in my voice and looking at Evelyn she was to, I was starting to open up to this family and I wasn’t too sure yet if I liked it or not.

“Hi ma, what’s cooking?” Angel asked walking into the kitchen and sitting down next to me.

“Well we have spaghetti and garlic bread. Abby can you please call your brothers down, dinner is ready” Evelyn asked placing plates down on the table. Stunned by what she had said Angel nudged me softly in the side and gave me a warm smile. Trying and failing to smile back I nodded my head and walked up stairs, stopping in front of Bobby’s door first.

“Hi, dinners ready” I said for the first time in my life using a soft tone, shocked he only nodded and followed me to the stairs.

“Jerry, get your ass down stairs, dinner” Bobby yelled and then motioned for me to carry on down the stairs.

Sitting down at the table next to Angel and Bobby, I looked down at my plate knowing for a fact that I wouldn’t be able to finish all of this food.

“Hey, Abby whens your birthday?” Jerry asked looking up from his food.

“I don’t know” I answered back in monotone not looking up from the untouched food in front of me.

“How come?” Angel asked in between shoveling food into his mouth.

“I was never told when I was born” I muttered not liking this conversation at all.

“But then how do you know how old you are?” Angel asked confused, but his confusion was only fueling my anger.

“I was told how old I was” I snapped coldly standing up and walking back to my room. So what if I didn’t eat anything I was used to going days without food.

And this is where I started; lying on ‘my’ bed staring at the ceiling with a bored fascination of tracing invisible patterns with my eyes, but only kept me entertained for so long. With a sigh I rolled over and closed my eyes wishing that sleep would take me over, not caring at all that it was only early.

Waking up the next morning was hell. I really couldn’t be bothered with school today or ever!

‘But if I want to keep on living here I guess I should go’ the small voice in the back of my head nagged.

‘Why should I go? I won’t be staying here long. Once she sees that trouble seems to be my best friend she will dump me back into the system before you can say “mango”’ plowing my fist angrily into my innocent pillow, I shook my head annoyed with the constant in conflict going on in my mind.

Walking around my room I finally decided on going to school and if I didn’t like it then I would ditch the rest of the day. Shuffling through the pile of clothes on my floor I finally settled on some black skinny jeans and a nightmare before Christmas top. Pulling my black and white vans on I trekked down the stairs, dragging my feet into the kitchen I groggily sat down at the kitchen table in between Angel and Bobby. I mumbled a “morning” and dug into the food in front of me.

“Now Abby it’s your first day of school and I want you to be on best behavior” Evelyn said in a stern voice that I had to blink to stop my eyes from rolling. Does she really expect me to obey her?

“Seeing as it’s your first day Bobby will help you around” Evelyn added, nodding my head I finished my food and waited for Bobby by the front door.

“Ready to go” Bobby grumbled obviously not excited about school either.

“Sure” I sighed out placing my bag on my back, walking out into the snow my mind ran over all of the things I could do when I got to school. I was going to make a name for myself, show everyone that I am not to be messed with and if they even attempt to do anything then they are going to pay.