Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

Big Cat

Felia knew something had changed in her. She felt smaller; shorter. Yet, at the same time, she felt as if she were more powerful and that she could take on anything that posed a threat to her. As she looked at the faces of Noah and Kahili, she knew that they could see it as well. Maybe better than she could.

"Felia." Kahili said, seeming to want to bend down but cautious of her distance. "You're-"

"What-" Noah began, cutting himself short. "How . . . you better start explaining right now, Kahili-"

"I didn't know this was how it was going to turn out!" she said, panicking.

"What? You knew she would do . . . this? But, oh, you probably expected a butterfly or a puppy, didn't you?" he said, his blood boiling while his fear seemed to try to cool him down.

"No. But I didn't expect that." she said.

"Guys!" Felia tried to say but failed to. What she heard instead of her voice frightened her. It was a sort of growling sound, deep in her throat. Like that of a large cat. The others noticed her sound as well. She had finally caught their attention which was something Felia was not used to be able to do.

Kahili held up a finger and rushed inside the cabin of the boat. Noah stood still, looking at Felia as if she were a ticking bomb. Felia tried to back away but she instantly knocked over the metal table behind her. She tried to gasp, but all she managed was another animal-like sound. She didn't realize it at first but when she looked down, she had lifted her hand in alarm. Yet her hand was a massive paw with golden fur and black spots.

What's happening to me? Felia thought in alarm. She could hear herself panting when she wanted to at least hyperventilate like any another human. She wanted to run desperately but she knew she couldn't. She was trapped on the houseboat and there was nothing she could do. Noah slowly moved towards her.

"Felia?" he asked, reaching out a hand tentatively. Felia craned her neck forward. She saw the very tip of her black and pink nose. The sight scared her but she stayed in place. Slowly but surely, she moved closer back to Noah who was shaking. After a while she felt a deep sorrow for scaring him. She sat down, aware of how different it was to have extra legs to sit on.

"Felia." Kahili said, coming through the door with a large something in her hands. It was rectangular and Felia was sure of what it was before the woman with red hair turned it to face her. "Look, Felia. Look at yourself."

At first, the waning light from the sunset behind them reflected off the mirror and made Felia squint and growl lightly. The sound made her afraid and the other two instinctively move back a step. Kahili turned the mirror down slightly away from the light and Felia was able to see better than before. When she looked at her reflection, she was both shocked and accepting.

There was a silence before Kahili said softly, "You're a jaguar, Felia."