Status: Finally finished. :)

The Nagual

Back to Normality

"Well, no shit." Noah said, muttering under his breath. "How the hell did this happen?"

"This is why you wouldn't have been able to understand. We're too different than you." Kahili responded, studying Felia and placing the mirror down gently.

"So you can change, too? Do you change into a jaguar like her?" Noah asked.

"No. No, for . . . people like us, it's very rare to change into a jaguar."

"There are more of you?" Noah looked almost sick.

"There's a whole society of us." Kahili said. She then addressed Felia, saying, "Felia. If you can calm yourself, you can probably change back."

"Try to calm yourself quickly, too." Noah said, looking over the edge of the boat. "You're a little heavy for this vessel."

Felia lied down. She took multiple breaths. Her heartbeat was at an unimaginable pace.

"Shh." Kahili said, her hand gently on top of her head. "Relax."

Felia allowed herself several deep breaths. A slight wind picked up and she felt instantly slower than before. Something inside her moved throughout her body. It was similar to the warm honey-like liquid only now it was cool and felt like spring water; as if it were cleaning her. After another shudder had passed through her, Felia felt lighter and more focused. She raised her arms slowly to reveal slightly pink but healthy human skin. She sighed of relief.

"You'll get used to it." Kahili told her. "You'll know how to control it someday, too." There was a look of worry on her face but she turned away, picking up the mirror with her.

Noah looked at Felia but with a calmer face. "I'll try not to get you upset, then."

Felia would have smiled but she felt very weak. Kahili was by her side when Felia started to sway. She guided her to an empty seat and gingerly set her down.

"How far away are we from the rental?" Kahili asked.

Noah looked out to the coast of the island. "Not far."

"When do you think we'll get there?"

"An hour at most." He looked at Felia who seemed only semi-conscious. "Will she be alright?"

"Yeah, she'll be fine." Kahili said without any concern in her voice. "But," she started, turning more serious, "it's not her I'm worried about. It's the others that I'm worried about."

"Who are they?" Noah asked.

Kahili looked at him. "Look, you know too much already. You shouldn't have even seen Felia do that. Just . . . drive the boat, okay? You're still-"

"I know." he said, annoyance deep in his voice. "I'm still getting paid." He stayed for a second, shook his head, and left, climbing the white ladder to the second level of the deck where the helm waited.

Kahili stroked Felia's hair and picked her up. "I'm bringing you to bed, alright?" she said, knowing that Felia wouldn't have protested anyway. She pushed open the door to the cabin and walked over to the closest bed. Taking very slow movements, she placed the girl on the bed, making sure that her head would meet the pillow softly. Kahili took a light, knitted blanket from the foot of the bed and draped it across Felia's body.

She got up to leave when she felt a tug at her hand. She looked back down at Felia who said, "Stay with me." And so she did.